Walking and biking prioritised in new Highway Code

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As far as I can see, the only reason for push button controlled crossings is because drivers, in their self important schedules, are far too busy and don't stop for pedestrians. Thus drivers are further educated that they don't have to stop unless enforced, by red light, to do so. Hence, we all have to suffer the infuriating time delays inflicted by dumb machine programming.
Common sense and courtesy would work far more efficiently.
No, there is another reason. If there was a 'real' zebra pedestrian crossing (pedestrians always have priority) in a very busy areas cars would never get a chance to go. Also at some points where traffic lights are needed , adding pedestrian crossings not needing lights would be chaotic.

Absolutely drivers should be more considerate, and pedestrians should have some degree of priority (as in my light timing suggestion above), but they can't always be given absolute priority.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
No, there is another reason. If there was a 'real' zebra pedestrian crossing (pedestrians always have priority) in a very busy areas cars would never get a chance to go.
Ah ha! I've got it - put a button at driver window height so the drivers can press a button, and then, say every 2 minutes, the pedestrians get a red light, and they wait for the cars. Seems fair to me.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Ah ha! I've got it - put a button at driver window height so the drivers can press a button, and then, say every 2 minutes, the pedestrians get a red light, and they wait for the cars. Seems fair to me.
No, that will unnecessarily hold up traffic when there are no pedestrians, as well as being awkward from some cars. The aim is to prioritize pedestrians, without unnecessarily penalizing drivers. (Though there may well be other good reasons for penalizing drivers.)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
No, that will unnecessarily hold up traffic when there are no pedestrians, as well as being awkward from some cars. The aim is to prioritize pedestrians, without unnecessarily penalizing drivers. (Though there may well be other good reasons for penalizing drivers.)
It was sarcasm - admittedly the lowest form of wit. Apologies.

More seriously, have pedestrian traffic lights with the intelligence to recognise both waiting people and vehicles, and prioritise the crossing lights on which has the greater flow. You could even count the number of people in the cars/buses too. Quite egalitarian.

Reactions: flecc