Walking pace…

Simon in Easton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 1, 2016
Bristol
Occasionally, I find myself in situations where it would be very helpful to have some gentle motor assistance while walking my bike. Examples are the very steep hill approaching the hill top where I live and the tyre channels one occasionally encounters to one side of flights of steps.
Does anyone have any advice on the subject of adjusting control units to make this happen?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Most e-bikes have walk assist mode. Read your manual to find how to switch it on.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Walk assist is usually enabled on most bikes , if no dedicated WA button or pad then holding the down/- pad/button will operate WA.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Occasionally, I find myself in situations where it would be very helpful to have some gentle motor assistance while walking my bike. Examples are the very steep hill approaching the hill top where I live and the tyre channels one occasionally encounters to one side of flights of steps.
Does anyone have any advice on the subject of adjusting control units to make this happen?
On the bikes I am familiar with (Pendleton, KT controller, TSDZ2, YOSE ), the walk assist was rather limited, about 80w max I think and it cuts out when under pressure of say 45 degree banks.
The most satisfactory solution for me is the fully enabled throttle which works well as a walk assist (better on rear drives than front hubs) . On my daughters Pendleton, there is no throttle so for really steep banks, I use to have to use a small stick to wedge the freewheel against the hub, set the assist to low (or medium/high on really steep banks), push the bike and up a bank it will pull. Its not the safest as the pedals turn to activate the pedal sensor and you need the brake sensors and your hand on the brake so bike wont get away. Its not very safe but what can you do when faced with a very steep incline and you have no throttle.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On the bikes I am familiar with (Pendleton, KT controller, TSDZ2, YOSE ), the walk assist was rather limited, about 80w max I think and it cuts out when under pressure of say 45 degree banks.
My BBS01B's walk function doesn't - could be due to the 100% "Keep current" firmware parameter. I can't recall much about what it was like before I fiddled about with the firmware, other than it was so awful I almost demanded a refund. Prior to changing firmware parameters, I don't think I'd got to the point of trying the walk assist. 20 inch wheels.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
The walk on both my BBS01B do work but not great on hills

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The walk on both my BBS01B do work but not great on hills
I keep forgetting I have the 23% torque advanatage which 20" wheels have over 26" wheeled bikes; easier for my bike to climb hills.

When you start pushing your bike uphill on walk assist, does assistance start strong, then tail off in terms of power? If so, perhaps programming your firmware would be worth a go? Set "Keep current" to 100%. The walk assistance on my BBS01B conversion is slow but consistent, even uphill.

On the other hand, your seller may void the warranty if you do. There is the risk of transforming your BBS01B controller into a brick. A new controller costs about £80 to £100 from China.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Bicycle+steps = walk (unless of course you have legs like a Russian Olympic speed skater)
Ebicycle+steps = Ride on.

Admittedly coming down steps, especially at speed is fun with a capital F. because you can launch off the top because it is just basically a kind of bumpy hill, and more often than not not that particularly steep(as hills go) Don't let the pointy bits intimidate you.

Theres other YT vids on riding up stairs, that give you a better understanding of technique, gears, riding position etc, but nothing really technical about it.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I keep forgetting I have the 23% torque advanatage which 20" wheels have over 26" wheeled bikes; easier for my bike to climb hills.

When you start pushing your bike uphill on walk assist, does assistance start strong, then tail off in terms of power? If so, perhaps programming your firmware would be worth a go? Set "Keep current" to 100%. The walk assistance on my BBS01B conversion is slow but consistent, even uphill.

On the other hand, your seller may void the warranty if you do. There is the risk of transforming your BBS01B controller into a brick. A new controller costs about £80 to £100 from China.
I use the Speeed App for android with the programming cable, can alter the settings when you reach the edge of your country estate;)