Want a rear motor wheel only, 36V, 250W, 26"

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Currently I have a working Rock Lobster Mountain bike conversion, its a 36V, 250W, 26", Bafang rear hub motor setup, and its working just fine.

I would like to have a spare working rear motor wheel handy so I can swap it in quickly and with a cassette fitting.

Is there anyone out there selling complete wheels ?

Had good look on Google, eBay and Aliexpress, not a lot to be found.

The closest I can find is motors only, so that would be a first time for me to build a wheel, but I do already have a good quality spare 26" rim.

Ideas anyone ?

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I'm nearing retirement and have been riding bikes since I was a kid, last year was the first time I've had to build my own wheel (new electric hub, decent rim, custom spokes), it took some time but it worked out fine.

I've built 3 more wheels since (changing rim sizes on electric wheels I had, etc), results have all been good.
If you have patience and the time to spend building your own wheel, try it. Ask if any questions - there are many very experienced wheel builders on here.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I'm nearing retirement and have been riding bikes since I was a kid, last year was the first time I've had to build my own wheel (new electric hub, decent rim, custom spokes), it took some time but it worked out fine.

I've built 3 more wheels since (changing rim sizes on electric wheels I had, etc), results have all been good.
If you have patience and the time to spend building your own wheel, try it. Ask if any questions - there are many very experienced wheel builders on here.
What a great answer +++++

I started playing\building with bikes in the mid 70s, and whilst I have corrected a fair few wobbly wheels since, a scratch build is not something I have ever attempted.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I build all my own wheels now having never done so until I started converting bikes to ebikes.
It isn't as hard as it looks with utube tutorials.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Is there anyone in the UK selling suitable motors ?

There dont seem to be many Bafang motors about, but I can see the MXUS XF08 on eBay from the far east.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh no, one usually has to go to China and use one of the vendors not on AliExp.
Topbike kit, greenbikekit, BMSbattery or PSWPowers other parent site elifebike.com use to sell hubs.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sometimes practical cycles or bankrupt bike parts on ebay sell hubs.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Tbh no, one usually has to go to China and use one of the vendors not on AliExp.
Topbike kit, greenbikekit, BMSbattery or PSWPowers other parent site elifebike.com use to sell hubs.
Thanks, will take a look.

Current controller is an KT36ZWSRD-HY02L with a 9pin motor connector, are there any compatibility issues to worry about ?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Thanks, will take a look.

Current controller is an KT36ZWSRD-HY02L with a 9pin motor connector, are there any compatibility issues to worry about ?
No, pretty much all motors come with the same 9 pin connector and an extension cable. Be aware some Bafang motors are 3 or 6 pin, check with the vendor before purchase.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The zws denotes the controller as square wave controller so a bit noisier in operation.
Older sensor less motors are 3 or 6 pin, the latter having a speed sensor.