WANTED: Conversion of Carrera Subway 2013 Hybrid to EBIKE using specified kit

mjwobble

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Bike and Kit will be brand new I am looking for someone reliable, confident and experienced to do the EBIKE conversion

the ebike kit = Electric Conversion Bike Kit 3000Watts inc Lifpo4 battery Free Shipping | eBay

the bike = Halfords | Carrera Subway Limited Edition Hybrid Bike 2013 -18"

West Yorkshire area please contact me if you are interested

In a nutshell: adding a 3000w rear mounted ebike kit to a hybrid.

Could be enjoyable for someone and I hope to learn a lot here too, if you don't mind me watching what you're doing that is!

Thanks for reading feel free to quote and/or inform me of any obvious incompatibilities

D

Deleted member 4366

The bike you linked to has rim brakes. They'll melt before you get off your own street at that speed and weight. You'd be much better off with the Carrera Kraken with hydraulic forks and hydraulic disc brakes, but even that will probably toss you off when you hit a few bumps at maximum speed. Normally, you need full suspension, large hydraulic disc brakes, triple clamp forks and wide rims and tyres for 3KW.

Have you thought about where to install that massive battery. It'll weigh about 15kg. If you install it behind the seat, you'll be going everywhere on one wheel. I had a 20aH 36v LiFePO4 behind the seat at 1500w max, and it was just about manageable. I did several inadvertent wheelies, so I changed to a lighter NMC battery of the same voltage and amp-hours, which was much better.

I just can't see that combination being pleasant to ride. You'd be much better off building something like Sacko's.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/classifieds/14824-24s-lipo-ht3525-kraken.html

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
As Dave has pointed out, you need disk brakes. Even they wear down at a reasonable rate.

Just look for the cheapest Carrera with disks and front suspension.

What speed and range are you looking for?

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
The other issue I forgot to mention, is the battery.

There isn't much info on it, which would concern me.... alot.

You are looking into lipo territory with the amount of amps you are looking to pull, but there are consequences to using lipo over life.

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
Apologies for the multiple posts.

I have missed parts out, like Hookworm tyres, tyre liners etc.
That is for all good gear, what I used on mine.

Depending on your needs though, you could get something for half that cost.

A friend of mine will be selling a Code 12 Bafang geared motor, KU123 controller and 15s 10ah of lipo.

That will pull you up any hill, cruises at 25mph, tops out at 30mph.

.....all depends on what you need.

Last edited:

mjwobble

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Apologies for the multiple posts.

I have missed parts out, like Hookworm tyres, tyre liners etc.
That is for all good gear, what I used on mine.

Depending on your needs though, you could get something for half that cost.

A friend of mine will be selling a Code 12 Bafang geared motor, KU123 controller and 15s 10ah of lipo.

That will pull you up any hill, cruises at 25mph, tops out at 30mph.

.....all depends on what you need.
'That will pull you up any hill, cruises at 25mph, tops out at 30mph'

that line is my needs Sacko thanks for your input are we still looking at 1600ish?

cheers