WANTED: NON-Working Bafang/8-fun mid drive motor

JohnnyBBadd

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2016
Gloucestershire
Just to see if it fits my 73mm BB, before I shell out on a new one!

Obvs, I'll pay for postage etc...

;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
BBS01 and BBS02 will fit 73mm bottom bracket.
You only need two longer M6 allen bolts, see picture:

BTW, if anyone is after a BBS01 or BBS02, woosh have new stock arriving tomorrow. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

• Useful
Reactions: JohnnyBBadd

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My Cube AMS has a 73mm BB, bbs01 fits fine. As above in Trex's pic only one m33 locking nut will fit and for washers on the longer m6's I used m6 x5mm nylons spacers which I got off the bay.

• Useful

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Here's a pic of an Orange 5 with a 73mm BB and BBS01B fitted, so not all bikes are equal...as I've found

DSC_0058.JPG

• Informative

JohnnyBBadd

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2016
Gloucestershire
Yeah...don't believe everything you read/see on the internet;)
Just out of interest Steve: I'm planning to have the battery in my rucksack - mainly for aesthetic reasons, but also so as not to attract too much attention. What's your opinion on this?

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Great if you ride on light trails/tarmac...a trip to A&E if you ride proper off-road (oh, there's that offensive word again when applied to 750 Watters:D) where it's not if, but when, you'll wipeout and have a battery stuck in your back lol.

I tried it for a while after following Shermans threads, but I had to have a long lead going through my legs which kept disconnecting everytime I got off to negotiate fences/gates and when I had an off, I realised that if I had landed on my back the battery could have done me more damage than the rocks around me:confused:

I now use a Topeak bag attached to the seat which works really well and has the bonus of being stealthy too :cool:

Reactions: Kinninvie

Tyntin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2016
Wolverhampton
I now use a Topeak bag attached to the seat which works really well and has the bonus of being stealthy too :cool:
Can you post a pic of this and what battery do you use?
I'm thinking of putting a bbs02 on an Orange Alpine 160 but have concerns about the battery in a backpack as I don't bounce so well now I'm knocking 60. I have seen a photo off someones back with the perfect imprint of their pump which was carried in a backpack and that broke a few vertebrae.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Can you post a pic of this and what battery do you use?
I'm thinking of putting a bbs02 on an Orange Alpine 160 but have concerns about the battery in a backpack as I don't bounce so well now I'm knocking 60. I have seen a photo off someones back with the perfect imprint of their pump which was carried in a backpack and that broke a few vertebrae.
DSC034421.jpg
The batteries are custom made to fit the bags by Insat/BGA and they manage to squeeze 54V 11.6Ah in there using Samsung 29 cells, I'm informed by them that if they build one with the 30q cells it could rise to around 15Ah but they are more expensive...and you have to take into account the rear suspension travel and where the wheel is at full compression, it can be very close on some bikes like the Norco DH below...
DSC_0048.JPG

• Useful

Tyntin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2016
Wolverhampton
Cheers for that. i'll have to check the bike as I used to have a little tool bag one of my bikes and the rear tyre used to catch that and I had to take it off. I think that was the Santa Cruz Tallboy though.

JohnnyBBadd

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2016
Gloucestershire
View attachment 16386
The batteries are custom made to fit the bags by Insat/BGA and they manage to squeeze 54V 11.6Ah in there using Samsung 29 cells, I'm informed by them that if they build one with the 30q cells it could rise to around 15Ah but they are more expensive...and you have to take into account the rear suspension travel and where the wheel is at full compression, it can be very close on some bikes like the Norco DH below...
View attachment 16387

That seems like the best solution. Who would I need to contact at BGA for custom made batteries?

Loving the bash guard too!

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
IMG_0901.JPG You see the tiny little bag just behind the tiller, it had my battery in it.
That was lipo as well so really cheap. But dangerous :eek:

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
That seems like the best solution. Who would I need to contact at BGA for custom made batteries?

Loving the bash guard too!
Email or phone them, you'll most probably get through to Mary but it's Jimmy who does the builds (be prepared for a Physics lecture if you get put through to him on the phone, he's very enthusiastic and knowledgable about magic string:)).

The "bash guard" is a modified Mucky Nutz Gut Fender (the smaller version) and all the bikes run them, they stop mud, etc filling the motor, keep the chain clean and have even helped stop small rock strikes damaging the motor casings:cool:

• Informative

JohnnyBBadd

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2016
Gloucestershire
Email or phone them, you'll most probably get through to Mary but it's Jimmy who does the builds (be prepared for a Physics lecture if you get put through to him on the phone, he's very enthusiastic and knowledgable about magic string:)).

The "bash guard" is a modified Mucky Nutz Gut Fender (the smaller version) and all the bikes run them, they stop mud, etc filling the motor, keep the chain clean and have even helped stop small rock strikes damaging the motor casings:cool:

Magic string? I've heard of magic mushrooms, but string is a new one on me - Oh well, I'll try anything once!

Cheers

• :D
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA