Wanted: Riese & Müller Charger GX Rohloff HS

tompaah

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2018
Sweden
Ordered this bike in mid november and NOW (!!) R&M says they aren't producing it anymore so they can't deliver.

Anyone know a UK bike shop that would happen to have this bike? I know it's made on order but if anyone might have a demo or used...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
My commiserations Tom, very R&M unfortunately! We don't have what you are looking for, we are down to our last few RM bikes now. The only Charger we have is a 25kph Mountain.

All the best, David

Reactions: tompaah

tompaah

Feb 13, 2018
Sweden
Thanks both of you.
I've reached an agreement with my dealer and they will be sending me the new Supercharger GX Rohloff HS instead. IMHO the frame is bulkier and not so pretty as the old one but in all other aspects it is a slight upgrade.

Dan Richman

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2018
Hello from Seattle!

I'm in the same situation as you, Toompah. I ordered from my dealer here the R&M Charger GX Rohloff HS -- mainly choosing the GX so I could get that fantastic dark yellow "Curry" color.

R&M told my dealer that color was no longer available in the 49-cm frame size I need. So I settled for black, planning to do a powder coating this winter.

Then my dealer told me R&M had said the latest batch of Charger frames was somehow deficient and that the company proposed just what it proposed to you: the Supercharger GX Rohloff HS instead, at the same price as the Charger. Of course I agreed.

Mine (probably like yours) is slated to be built in Week 30 (July 23-29) and to be delivered via air freight (paid entirely by R&M because of the change) during the week of August 4.

I feel there's some uncertainty as to exactly what components the bikes will ship with. Some have suggested, e.g., that they might include electronic shifting. So the following list may be inexact or incomplete. But -- for the obesessing pleasure of you, me and possibly others -- it sets out the differences between the Charger GX Rohloff HS and the Supercharger GX Roholoff HS.

The first column shows features of the Supercharger, the second shows those of the Charger, and the symbol (+, - or ~) indicates whether the change appears or has been reviewed as being better, worse or a wash, respectively. (The "~" is also used when no reviews could be found.) These are taken from the R&M 2018 USA catalog.

If the UK catalog reflects differences, I'd love to know about them. If you disagree with the direction of the changes (+, - or ~), I'd also like to hear your opinions on that. Also if you have items to add.

Supercharger Charger Change

Belt drive Chain drive ~ (cleaner; less efficient)

Magura MT4 brakes Shimano Deore XT -

Busch & Muller Lumotec Supernova E3 +
IQ-X E front light

26.8kg/59.1lb 25.7/56.7 -

1.66-8.84m gearing 1.69-9.04 ~

No apparent Ergon GP3 Grips present -
handlebar grips*
_________
*Speculation

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
You lucky people you - well jel - nice bike just on the "charger" but the super charger even better!

tompaah

Feb 13, 2018
Sweden
Thanks for joining in Dan!

Some comments:

The Curry yellow Charger was my first e-bike love. No matter what I will always feel the Supercharger is aesthetically a second class choice.
I am seriously considering stripping the bike after warranty ends and powder coating it in yellow. But I doubt it will look as pretty, the Supercharger frame is much bulkier.

Also, the cork grips and Brooks saddle was so nice. The Supercharger has more plastic and sporty details here. Later on I think I'll switch to the cork grips but for now the bike has cost me already.

For the details:
Belt drive - any day! Quiet, smooth, no maintenance.
Don't worry about efficiency, we're talking about an e-bike here. For the single-digit watt loss the Gates makes, you cannot tell the difference when using electric assist.

Brakes - The Magura MT4 are great and the HS model actually features the MT4e version which has a brake light switch that actuates the rear brake light. This is a super nice feature to have in traffic.

Gearing - I'm running with confortable cadence in 45 km/h so I have nothing to complain here. The difference between the two bikes is neglible.

Light - The B&M IQ-light is super. It is as bright as an automotive headlight at night and I could not wish for more.

Weight - again, it's an e-bike and few kg up or down does not matter if you are not intending to carry it up stairs.

Ergon grips - yes the Supercharger has the Ergon GP3 grips. It just doesn't have the "biokork" version, it's plain plastic or whatever material it is. Very comfortable though.

To sum it up- technically the Supercharger equals the Charger. The difference is mostly the chain vs. the belt and the aesthetics.

Last edited:

Dan Richman

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2018
Thanks so much for this report, Tompaah. Very helpful.

I would love to see as many detailed images (of brake rotors, brake handles and many other close-ups) as you feel like taking and posting. Those images are simply unavailable anywhere else, so far as I know.