Warning to Wisper 905SE owners - Design Flaw

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hello everyone

I have had my Wisper 905SE for 4 weeks now and have discovered a major flaw.

Yesterday I noticed a grinding noise while cycling. I stopped to check and was horrified to discover the main wire running from the motor to the battery was getting caught in the wheel spokes.

Upon closer inspection, I found the wire had worn away and the inner wiring was exposed! This is a serious problem. I was extremely lucky that I caught onto the problem in time, as had the wire worn just a millimetre more, it would have short circuited and ruined the bike.

I have attached a photo to this post.

For a £1200 bike, this is unacceptable. I have had to put insulating tape around the exposed wire to prevent water getting in.

This happened as there is NO proper cable tidy keeping the wire away from the moving wheel. It was just tucked behind the mudguard. This is nothing short of shoddy workmanship. I now need to purchase a cable tidy to prevent this happening again.

Other owners of this bike should beware and make sure the wire is properly tied away.

I am not happy about this and very disappointed in Wisper. Nothing short of appalling.

Attachments

peckerman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2008
Zip tie the cable? Also what's supposed to me in the hole next to it? Possibly a cable guide? Have you checked that something hasn't fallen out in the box?

John Fleet

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2007
Whitley Bay
just checked mine and there's a black cable tie holding the wire securely in place. And you've lost a bolt as shown in the photo..

If Wispers were aircraft your problem would be cause for worldwide bulletin, but I guess your posting is the next best thing. Thanks for the heads up on a possible problem

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Thanks i've just added a cable tie to mine; I think it is a 'spare' hole rather than a missing bolt as there is nothing in mine.

peckerman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2008
I'd plug that hole with something, you don't want rain getting in there.

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
My cable runs under the frame (at that point) and is secured by a tie, there is also a bolt plugging that hole.

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the warning, oregon. I have just checked, and mine is the same as yours - nothing plugging that hole, and nothing holding the cable securely in place. I will be cable-tying mine before riding again, and probably wrapping a bit of duct tape around the frame to seal that hole! I agree that this is pretty shoddy for a £1200 bike. However, Doug and David have been absolutely excellent in sorting out any issues I have had, so it's probably worth putting this in the Wisper Clinic section for them to pick up. I'm sure they'd be as appalled as you are about this...
Howard

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I suppose the best option would be to attach a metal cable guide using the tapped hole, anyone know the thread for the hole?

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The hole is threaded for Metric 5, A chainguard would probably use that hole as part of it's fixing. The upgrade to a 53 teeth chainring would make fitting a guard unlikely.

Regards

Bob

John Fleet

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2007
Whitley Bay
I think that the hole will take any one of the Metric bolts used throughout the bike. On my bike there are numerous locations with similar holes filled with 'spare' bolts so it shouldn't be difficult to fill the offending hole with something neater than tape - Wisper can supply spares on request.

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
My bike also has an empty hole which requires a bolt for sealing. I checked the cable run, this has two holding clamps along the leg of the frame and no slack which could rub on the wheel, but for safety I will also attach a cable tie adjacent to the mudguard position.

Thanks for the heads up.
John

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I used a spare bolt left over from the mudguards and then tucked the cable behind it, it is missing a tie from slightly further along the bike but I thought that was just a one off small problem on mine.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Design flaw

Hi Oregon

Thanks for bringing this to our notice!

Have you contacted us or your supplier yet? If not please do so and it will be rectified immediately.

You are absolutely correct this is totally unacceptable, if anyone has the same problem please drop us a line ASAP.

either

doug.gosling@wisperbikes.com or me at miall@aol.com.

Please accept our apologies Oregon and thanks again for bringing it to our attention and letting other new 905 owners know.

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Changes to inspection

Hi again Oregon

I have just spoken to the QC guys at the factory. The fault had already been identified. It appears that one or two got through checking but we have put in new measures to ensure this does not happen again.

FYI as a result of this we have increased the full inspection from 20% of bikes to 100% as of today.

This is mind numbingly boring but here is a link to the video of the full inspection! YouTube - wisper 905Se city inspection video

Best regards David

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
David

I called the shop and told them what had happened.

He advised me to put tape around the exposed wire and use a cable-tie.

He said it would not really be worth the hassle of cutting and adding new wires/soldering. Is this the case? Can just the wire not be changed over?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Bolt hole

Hi all

You can see the bolt in the hole in the images below. It was originally put there to hold the electrical socket to disconnect the back wheel but this is now under the new "sump" so it is no longer required. If anyone has difficulty finding the correct bolt to fill it please drop me a line.

Regards David

Rear part.jpg