Was considering a Halfords bike and suddenly now looking at a Scott Ebike for the wife!

Donnie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2017
Bedford, UK
Now how on earth did my budget just go from sub £1000 to nearly double!??

So, the wifes finally had her achilles tendon repair and is cracking on very nicely, early days were hard on her so I bought her this to get out and about

Now, she's not even 50 but it gave her freedom for the last 3 months and on a side note has realised she has saved about £350 in taxi's in the last 3 months alone!

However, it's time to let go and the problem is she needs to get to work (doesn't drive) and taxis to and from work will be approximately £120 to £150 a month as even though it's only 2 miles, it's way to far for her to walk at this stage.

So, we've been looking into an ebike, initially she's tried the Halfords Pendleton somerby which she thought was ok, but on our research hunt we took a trip to rutland cycles at Grafham water today and she tried the Scott E Sub Tour https://www.rutlandcycling.com/373377/products/scott-e-sub-tour-2017-electric-hybrid-bike-unisex-black.aspx which they are doing at £1870ish currently. I think shes swayed toward it as its certainly a much more rugged and better put together looking bike than the pendleton, plus front and rear discs, lights etc oh and front suspension forks.

I guess as it's my first post Im just talking out loud but wondered if there were any users of the scott out there at all and what their real world thoughts of the bike are?

Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Now how on earth did my budget just go from sub £1000 to nearly double!??

So, the wifes finally had her achilles tendon repair and is cracking on very nicely, early days were hard on her so I bought her this to get out and about

Now, she's not even 50 but it gave her freedom for the last 3 months and on a side note has realised she has saved about £350 in taxi's in the last 3 months alone!

However, it's time to let go and the problem is she needs to get to work (doesn't drive) and taxis to and from work will be approximately £120 to £150 a month as even though it's only 2 miles, it's way to far for her to walk at this stage.

So, we've been looking into an ebike, initially she's tried the Halfords Pendleton somerby which she thought was ok, but on our research hunt we took a trip to rutland cycles at Grafham water today and she tried the Scott E Sub Tour https://www.rutlandcycling.com/373377/products/scott-e-sub-tour-2017-electric-hybrid-bike-unisex-black.aspx which they are doing at £1870ish currently. I think shes swayed toward it as its certainly a much more rugged and better put together looking bike than the pendleton, plus front and rear discs, lights etc oh and front suspension forks.

I guess as it's my first post Im just talking out loud but wondered if there were any users of the scott out there at all and what their real world thoughts of the bike are?
That Scott is a very nice looking bike. In the same league price wise would be a number of Cube bikes and also the Raleigh Captus and Motus.. all basically similar , unisex, strong ,comfortable, urban very well kitted out.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and row

Donnie

Jul 13, 2017
Bedford, UK
Yes, they are all quite similar but I think she likes the battery on the seatpost for greater stability, something else I should have mentioned is that Rutland actually use these particular models as part of their hire fleet so me and the wife are going to go back on monday and hire one each for the day as a proper test ride.

• Agree

Donnie

Jul 13, 2017
Bedford, UK
agree with the above, one consideration is the stated weight of 24.3 kg, hefty.
Similar to the Scott is this which http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/cube-cross-hybrid-pro-400-e-bike-2017-trapeze has the better CX motor and is lighter and less expensive

If your wife cycle is only 2 miles there will be lots of less expensive options
Agreed, and rutland do the cube too, I looked, problem was that saddle is nowhere near good enough for her ample bottom, plus the lack of mudguards etc etc. But the biggest issue for her due mainly to her recovering ankle is how high she can get her leg therefore the unisex version of the Scott seems her best all rounder if you see what I mean.

PS don't tell her I mentioned her bottom lol.

• :D

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Yes, they are all quite similar but I think she likes the battery on the seatpost for greater stability, something else I should have mentioned is that Rutland actually use these particular models as part of their hire fleet so me and the wife are going to go back on monday and hire one each for the day as a proper test ride.
Frame battery is great plus, the rack ones do effect low speed handling especially with loaded panniers.
Only negative with this bike no lights. Factory lights that run off bike battery are a huge plus especially if commuting, worth paying a bit more to get some fitted. Normal battery lights can walk while bike is left unattended, having to remove them every time you leave bike is a hassle.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Frame battery is great plus, the rack ones do effect low speed handling especially with loaded panniers.
Only negative with this bike no lights. Factory lights that run off bike battery are a huge plus especially if commuting, worth paying a bit more to get some fitted. They will always be there if you have an unexpect night ride home. Normal battery lights can walk while bike is left unattended, having to remove them every time you leave bike is a hassle.

Donnie

Jul 13, 2017
Bedford, UK
Hi Trevormonty, it does have built in lights actually :) theres a discreet one on handlebars and a small led built into the rear.

Personally, I actually dont like the idea of built in ones but can see the advantage of them I guess.

Donnie

Jul 13, 2017
Bedford, UK
Hmmm maybe a grand off but makes it essentially the same price as the scott, in fact a quick google shows Scott now own the Bergamont brand so explains the similarity. The biggest downside of the Bergamont (ignoring the lack of rear rack as thats an easy fix) is the ability to easily get it serviced etc as Im over 100 miles from Wigan :-/

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Only negative with this bike no lights. Factory lights that run off bike battery are a huge plus especially if commuting, worth paying a bit more to get some fitted. Normal battery lights can walk while bike is left unattended, having to remove them every time you leave bike is a hassle.
For the type of action this poster wants, I suspect that panniers will not be a high priority .. although I use one of the cheap Halfords types and it is fine for the lock, some rain gear and if necessary up to 4 litres of milk..
Logically a battery mounted low on the frame should be more stable, but under the back carrier works fine also. I have not found it unweildy
I suspect that the bike would be in turbo mode and a low gear giving excellent speed and little effort for this person's needs. .
The Motus Captus range use a front hub dynamo and led lights. This seems to me the safest of the options. There is no incentive to steal them, even were the battery to fail, they still work. Like I said a very well specified product.

Reactions: Donnie

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi Trevormonty, it does have built in lights actually :) theres a discreet one on handlebars and a small led built into the rear.

Personally, I actually dont like the idea of built in ones but can see the advantage of them I guess.
Donnie, thinking about this a little more, a 4 mile round trip is just a short cycle and many of the options being discussed , including my own are probably overkill.
For many women, the prospect of getting up on a big 28 inch wheel bike could be daunting, and much smaller frames and wheels will be more attractive. Now don't get me wrong, the Raliegh, the cube, in the Dutch style are great robust bikes very suited for either long distance 10 mile commutes in city or country. With their central drives they can scale any hill. But if the need is modest, and the journey short, and the hills not high, a much more modest bike with say a geared rear hubmotor and 20 inch wheels could be just the ticket and much less intimidating.

Donnie

Jul 13, 2017
Bedford, UK
Donnie, thinking about this a little more, a 4 mile round trip is just a short cycle and many of the options being discussed , including my own are probably overkill.
For many women, the prospect of getting up on a big 28 inch wheel bike could be daunting, and much smaller frames and wheels will be more attractive. Now don't get me wrong, the Raliegh, the cube, in the Dutch style are great robust bikes very suited for either long distance 10 mile commutes in city or country. With their central drives they can scale any hill. But if the need is modest, and the journey short, and the hills not high, a much more modest bike with say a geared rear hubmotor and 20 inch wheels could be just the ticket and much less intimidating.
Aye, I can see where you are coming from, when she used to cycle years ago she rode a 26 inch wheeled bike with no problems, this is partly why I want to hire one on monday at rutland and see how she goes on it, rutland has a variety of terrain and we're going to bring a picnic so its like a day out. I think if she enjoys it without overthinking it then all will be well.

• Agree

Donnie

Jul 13, 2017
Bedford, UK
After every ride I have soreness at the back of my heels. Please don't think that the Achilles is doing nothing while ebiking; it's doing plenty even though it feels like nothing when you're doing it. Just make sure she's careful.
Oh believe me I know, again partly why we are hiring one on monday.