Water proof cover for battery back rack

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I'd have thought a Tesco plastic bag would suffice but if you want to impress, perhaps a Harrod's or Selfridges one would look the part. ;)

Indalo

albanydene

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2012
Kudos Panniers, they have a panel joining them together so offer a little protection. Not to big but not sure how waterproof.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Another thought - if you really want something perfect rather than a cheap hack - is to ask my brother for a quote !

He runs a company that makes covers for just about anything. He is a sailmaker and started doing poptops for camper vans about 5 years back....... but he can and does make just about anything - from covers for a river boat to multiple custom padded covers for a rock bands touring gear

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
This is a Kudos bike, right? It's not a three, four or five thousand pound superEbike so I still think my original suggestion seems about right. Any pound or 99p shop will have cheap waterproof material which, with a little ingenuity, could be made into a bespoke waterproof cover for the sake of 15 minutes work with glue, scissors and possibly a needle and thread.

I really don't see the point of paying a lot of money to prevent water ingress when it can be done cheaply. Is there some greater risk of such an event with this Kudos model than with all the other bikes sporting a rack-mounted battery? If there is, perhaps Dave Elderfield should be made aware. I'm sure he will probably assuage the OP's fears but if there is a risk, I'm sure he'll provide a solution.

Indalo

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
As it happens I tend to agree which is why I pointed him to a ready made £3.29 solution (I'd remind you that Rob had already rejected your proffered plastic bag option - which is what I keep tucked under my Brooks saddle for heavy rain days BTW)

Next up the cost ladder was a Kudos pannier set

And finally, at the top of the cost ladder no doubt, is a custom tailormade cover made to one's exact specifications

Rob's choice really is it not? Pretty sure his asked what "sort of covers are out there" rather than your prescription on how he should spend his money

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Im more interested in why it needs a waterproof cover?

alfazzr

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Slightly off topic but I was wondering about getting a Kudos back rack, Can anyone tell me if it will fit my battery which is 69mm X 148mm X 355mm.

Thanks
Alfazzr

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Sailors, canoeists and windsurfers (that was me many moons ago) have used drybags (e.g. Ortlieb) for many a moon. I am sure the OP could do a quick google search for "drybag" and find something that could be easily adapted to his needs for less than £20.

Personally I would be leaning to the cheap and cheerful placky bag but I am a skinflint.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Sailors, canoeists and windsurfers (that was me many moons ago) have used drybags (e.g. Ortlieb) for many a moon. I am sure the OP could do a quick google search for "drybag" and find something that could be easily adapted to his needs for less than £20.

Personally I would be leaning to the cheap and cheerful placky bag but I am a skinflint.
Ortlieb still do them but they cost a bit more than £20. :)