Waterproofs & Wet Bum Syndrome

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I dont know if its just me, but whenever I am in heavy rain in my 'breathable' waterproofs, I always end up with a wet bum. Is this due to the saddle on my Twist soaking up water? Or is this simply due to water getting in through the fabric creases?

Any ideas what could cause this, I get it intermittently and cannot identify the problem (apart from the rain that is)

John

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
What kind of material are your 'waterproofs' John ? Also check to see if the seams have protection.

I find many of the cheaper fabrics aren't waterproof, just water resistant. I use E-Vent (similar to top of the range goretex) and have been in some torrential downpours without any water getting through.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
I've got a couple of different makes of mid-range breathable waterproof trousers, costing around £30-£40. I find the same as John - they will repel rain falling on them, but they can't cope with actually sitting in a puddle. Wiping the bulk of the water off the saddle helps a bit.

By contrast, I've got a yellow suit designed for yachting, which I wear on my motorbike. That is waterproof, full stop. And in the past, I've used much cheaper heavyweight plastic suits, usually in green and aimed at the angling market. Also completely waterproof, apart from fasteners, ankle openings etc. Both of those are really too heavy, hot and inflexible for comfortable cycling.

Maybe if you go to the hi-spec, hi-price products like GoreTex or Paramo, it might be possible to get trousers comfortable enough for cycling that will keep the wet out. I haven't tried those.

Mary

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
I dont know if its just me, but whenever I am in heavy rain in my 'breathable' waterproofs, I always end up with a wet bum. Is this due to the saddle on my Twist soaking up water? Or is this simply due to water getting in through the fabric creases?

Any ideas what could cause this, I get it intermittently and cannot identify the problem (apart from the rain that is)

John
What kind of underlayers are you wearing? Even a high qualtiy breathable waterproof needs the correct type of wicking under layers to be worn for maximum effectiveness.

I suspect that the cause of the wetness is trapped sweat :eek: (There isn't an icon for disgusting unfortunately!)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
What kind of material are your 'waterproofs' John ? Also check to see if the seams have protection.

I find many of the cheaper fabrics aren't waterproof, just water resistant. I use E-Vent (similar to top of the range goretex) and have been in some torrential downpours without any water getting through.
The trousers are the £45 Altura Night Visions. They are supposed to be the real deal but obviously they have some issues here.

E-Vent the real deal then, are they easy to put on? can they be adjusted easily for diferent body shapes?

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
What kind of underlayers are you wearing? Even a high qualtiy breathable waterproof needs the correct type of wicking under layers to be worn for maximum effectiveness.

I suspect that the cause of the wetness is trapped sweat :eek: (There isn't an icon for disgusting unfortunately!)
No its far too much moisture to be sweat. I have altura cruiser leggings on which are very good at wicking. I am talking about 'completely soaked through' as if no waterproofs on at all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've suffered leaky seams with some motor cycle wet weather gear John, and it's exactly as you describe, the bottom coming off worse.

I once did a successful repair for that, but it might not work for all materials. With the garment very thoroughly dried through, I smeared some cycle rubber solution along the guilty seams internally, pressing it in thoroughly before it went tacky. It did the trick quite well.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I think your right Flecc, its the seams I think. Its really annoying that they sell these advertised as waterproof, and their quality control just isnt good enough. If something is advertised as waterproof, then its should be waterproof throughout its useable life, not just the first few weeks. :mad:

I would do as you have suggested, or even line all the seams internally with a very thin layer of silicon if I hadnt spent £50 on them!!!:mad:

They are being posted back today, and Ive followed Russ's suggestion. More expensive, but if they do what they say they do then they will be worth it.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If something is advertised as waterproof, then its should be waterproof throughout its useable life, not just the first few weeks. :mad:

John
There were changes in the law a few years ago that made supply of such a faulty product actionable with a certainty of winning and full costs etc.

As a result, for years suppliers only advertised products as being water resistant, this being advised by lawyers, but lately some sloppiness has crept back in with the term waterproof being carelessly used. In fact, virtually nothing can be safely described as waterproof, and suppliers who do so are taking big risks.

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
Ummm, could be it's due to the friction destroying the waterproof membrane that's bonded to the fabric, usually on the inside - they are quite delicate. You can often tell by peering closely at the offending area and observing the surface lifting, peeling or generally looking a bit frayed and tatty. Washing is often a killer too, despite religiously following the manufacturers instructions.

Or as I think someone else observed, the friction just pushes the water molecules through the membrane.

They make horse rugs out of these fabrics (no really, they do!) and after several expensive disappointments I now buy a medium-cheap rug, never wash it only expect it to last a couple of years at most. Horse + mud + sweat + thorns is a fairly hostile environment! Mind you having said that, it still keeps him dry (while it lasts) in er, persisting rain! :)

Maybe you could try glueing something more robustly waterproof to the affected area? Neoprene is completely waterproof, reasonably hardwearing loves glue and is even soft and comfy to boot. You could get the thin compressed stuff. You can even chamfer the edges!

(And no, I don't have a rubber fetish, I just used to go scuba diving!)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks for that FatMog

Its so annoying though that they sell these things with 'delicate' linings, I mean, it makes them unsuitable for the task. I would expect for £50 for the trousers alone, that someone would have thought that they would work effectively.

A Neoprene lining I would have expected/hoped for as standard in the region of the posteria, after all that area will take the most wear and have the most continuous contact with water.

Its pretty obvious isnt it!:confused:

John