Watt difference does it make?

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks for info

Hi Terry

Many thanks for clearing up the drive system and gears on the Powacycle. I have a Powabyke Commuter at the moment and have ridden it for three years but the sheer weight of the thing is getting me down. I am seriously considering one of the Powacycle bikes especially now that LiPo batteries are now available. From the sound of things you don't seem too happy with yours?

All the best

Rod

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi Terry

Many thanks for clearing up the drive system and gears on the Powacycle. I have a Powabyke Commuter at the moment and have ridden it for three years but the sheer weight of the thing is getting me down. I am seriously considering one of the Powacycle bikes especially now that LiPo batteries are now available. From the sound of things you don't seem too happy with yours?

All the best

Rod
Hi Rod, If you can wait a couple of months Powabyke will have 3 new models available weighing no more than 25kg.

If you email me your details and I will add you to the list of people who want a brochure. fcurran@powabyke.com

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Hi Rod,

I really do recommend that you try before you buy, perhaps I am expecting too much for my money from these ebikes, I mean you are talking to someone who still moans at paying more than 1/3d for a pint of IPA :)

I was pleased with the performance of the Lynx LPX, it would go up to 18mph on the flat, well nearly flat without any pedalling, pulling up my local hill - 9 mph at the top. After one month it started to make a grinding noise from the rear hub motor, then it went dead. :eek:

PowaCycle did not have any spare parts for my cycle shop to make a repair to the Lynx, and PowaCycle haven't any new stock of the Lynx, so it could not be replaced.

I was offered money back or a replacement bike, so selected the PowaCycle Windsor LPX as a straight swap. The Windsor has a top speed of 15 mph on the same road that the Lynx would do 18 mph. The hill which the lynx climbed with pedal assist at 9 mph, the Windsor is doing 6 mph.

So pretty conclusive proof that you can have a Lynx with a good speed available, but only lasts a month - Or a Windsor with a much lower top speed and not so good at hill climbing, which hopefully will last longer than a month, but as I only picked it up on Monday last (two days experience) - my opinion is really a trifle premature. :)

I need the exercise so perhaps the Windsor is better for me. If you are using it for serious transport then Flecc has used a couple of expensive bikes for hundreds of years, and seems quite happy about their reliability, but as I have just entered the realm of ebike, I can only speak as I have found, and seems like too much experience in so short a time :)

Regards Terry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To add to Terry's advice Rod, although very much lighter,the Windsor and Salisbury are very much less powerful than the Powabyke, so despite the weight advantage you'd still find they feel weak, especially on hill climbing. The speed performance is similar though, neither motor driving to very high speeds.

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
recharging old threads

As a result of my moan about the weight of the Powabyke Commuter I gather new Powabykes are on the way which will be a good deal lighter. So I think I might hang on a while, providing they don't take too long to appear.

I have been quite pleased with the Powabyke Commuter but I do seem to have spent a lot of time having to fiddle with it, replacing twist grips regularly, the front wiring harness (down to the motor) once, batteries recently and now the ignition switch has failed in the on position.

So I hope the new models are a little more reliable.

Rod