watts per mile

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
You did see my edit, right?
I did, but didn't understand the edit. Too complicated for me.

On second thoughts as I'm writing, did you mean that you don't understand Watts per mile and that Watt-hours per mile would be more appropriate? If so, sorry for stating what must be the obvious to you.

FPO

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Yep, that's the one.

My fault. I really should learn to wake up before I post things on a public forum. lol

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Thats easier then:
1. Standard Chinese 250w Bafang hub-motor on 30 mile commute wit one 2 mile moderately steep hill, I averaged 8wH/mile - mainly by pedalling faster than the maximum power speed of the motor. With a hub-motor, the power decreases once the speed's above about 12 mph, so pedalling at 15mph consumes virtually nothing.

2. Woosh Sirocco sport - medium hilly journey, similar motor,mainly on level one: 9.5wH/mile

3. Woosh Siroccoo CD - fairly hilly journey with several steep hills 14wH/mile

4 Oxydrive kit on same journey as (1) mainly on level one 9.5 wH/mile (Jeoff9 with same kit gets 6.5 wH/M on his trike because he's much lighter)

5 Bafang 500w BPM - same journeys as (1) 10wH/mile increases to 15wH/m when hilly

6 Bafang CST - same as (5)

7 GNG 350w crank drive 36v 22A - same journey as (3) 15wH/M
thanks for that comprehensive reply.......makes a lot of sense especially the comment on hubs at 15mph using less power......this must be why i get better range than the referred to predictor which always shows my battery will be used up about half way through a hilly ride.
also confirms that most claims on battery range from manufacturers are just pure fiction when subjected to real use experience.
regards

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
That may well take you back to the type of route plotting devices Strava users use. If you know the power of yourself and your motor I believe they'll predict wattage. Having said all that this is pretty damn good

Electric bike range

find this linked program gives very inaccurate battery usage in hilly terrain......for some of my known rides, it tells me my battery will be empty at the half way point........
regards

kemi

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2013
To measure power on a bike you would need a power meter and most pro riders have one. They are very expensive, but very useful. As some of you know I have a rear wheel hub drive and if I had access to a power meter, I would have been able to tell the difference in Watt between going say 30 km/h with and without the motor engaged. In my case I claim that I am getting an unfair extra drag above 25 Km/h, while some are of the opinion that it is just because the motor cuts off at 25 Km/h. Giving the difference in Watt would have been so much easier.

I know it is a little bit of topic, but I couldn't help myself :)

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
19.4mile commute (round trip) is averaging out at about 24wh's per mile.