Watts-Up vs Turnigy power meter / analyser

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Watts-Up vs Turnigy power meter (or Cycle Analyst ?)

Does anyone know about the differences ? Are they both water-proof enough for bicycle handlebar mounting ? My battery being at the rear of the bike, I am worried about the extra wiring required to piggy-back onto the existing circuitry.

The Turnigy unit is slightly cheaper than the Watts-Up V.2 ... but I am also considering "investing" in a Cycle Analyst computer to have only one screen for tracking my battery usage / motor current draw, and for visualizing speed/distance, etc. (the CA is more than twice the price of the other two though...)

Last edited:

Phil [OnBike]

Pedelecer
May 21, 2009
Cycle Analyst

Hi Daniel,

I installed a Cycle Analyst to my eZee Forza a few months ago and I'm really pleased with it - they are a bit more pricey, but worth it, although Cycle I've had no real experience with the other two.

I love the main screen on the CA, as it tells you your battery voltage, speed, Ah consumption, Current and distance (the LCD flicks between Ah and distance every few seconds, but can be configured to show other things instead) so you end up with a one-for-all screen for riding.
There are also about 6 other screens you can access with a single button operation.

You have to be prepared to solder in the shunt resistor, as shown in the picture, but once done and neatly insulated it can be tucked out the way and forgotten about.

OnBike are the UK supplier if Cycle Analysts so click here for more information and the manual is at the bottom of this page too.

Hope this helps

All the best

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks a lot Phil ! :)

How long is the low-voltage cable that travels from the shunt resistor to the display unit ? (my battery is on the rear rack)

Can the CA display be easily removed from the bike when parked (just like any other computer, which helps avoiding thieves), or are the wires designed to be permanently fixed to the frame ?

Friendly regards, Dan

Phil [OnBike]

Pedelecer
May 21, 2009
Hey Daniel,

I'm not at OnBike today and I won't 'guesstimate' the cable length from my bike, as it's all wired in.

I'll exactly measure one of our stock CAs tomorrow and let you know.

The CA can not be removed from the bike like some speedos, but it's wired in to both the battery and the speedo cable and also screwed to it's mounting bracket. Getting if off easily would mean cutting the wires and effectively rendering it uselesss then... unless you come across a very neat thief into electronics willing to spend a bit of time de-soldering and un-wiring it on the spot, hehe. :D

I'll be in touch

Cheers...

Phil [OnBike]

Pedelecer
May 21, 2009
Hi Dan,

I measured the cable running from a CA to the Shunt and it's 5' (152.5cm)

Hope this helps and is long enough :confused:

Just let me know if you have other queries!

Best Regards

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Hi Dan,

I measured the cable running from a CA to the Shunt and it's 5' (152.5cm)

Hope this helps and is long enough :confused:

Just let me know if you have other queries!

Best Regards
Thanks ! As far as I know, this is the only power meter that doesn't piggy-back directly on the main voltage line, which means fewer wires to run from the rear to the front of my bike...nice ! But at 120 GBP...I question whether it's a reasonable purchase in my case...damn, decisions, decisions !! :p

Phil [OnBike]

Pedelecer
May 21, 2009
No problem Dan!

You know where we are if you do want one.

Best wishes

joab

Pedelecer
I have been using the CA for a year now. I'm very pleased with it. I use it to limit my amp's (10A) and to limit my speed (25km/u). Gives me a good indicator of what is left of my battery after 21 month of usage.
Regards,
Jo

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks ! As far as I know, this is the only power meter that doesn't piggy-back directly on the main voltage line, which means fewer wires to run from the rear to the front of my bike...nice ! But at 120 GBP...I question whether it's a reasonable purchase in my case...damn, decisions, decisions !! :p
Damn ! Gone are the days when 150 Euros was just 100 GBP...
Now, 140 Euros is 125.4 GBP !! :(

Crystalyte-Europe supply the Cycle Analyst for 140 Euros + shipping (15 Euros, although I'm sure this can be negotiated down). I can purchase directly in Euros (bypassing the GBP conversion), but the difference in price with a UK-supplied CA is so low that I'd rather buy "locally" :) (let's see how generous Santa Claus / Father Christmas / mum-and-dad are... :D )

Crystalyte Europe :: Cycle Analyst

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
i've bought 2 watts up meters and they are good. i hacked one so that i didn't have to run power wires to the handle bars. my hack messed it up a bit tho. im not sure they are water proof. my hacked one goes bad in the rain.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The EagleTree MicroPower is a pretty impressive piece of kit, there's even an external RPM sensor...it's also more expensive than the Cycle Analyst (by the time all the options are added), and it's incomplete (lack of waterproof casing, etc.). Nice data logger though:

Eagle Tree –R/C UAV RPV RC Heli Model Aircraft Telemetry data logger GPS logger GPS telemetry MicroPower elogger e-logger RC Model Airplane Telemetry jet ECU telemetry Eagletree MicroPower Wireless Telemetry RC data logger Flight Data Recorder

joab

Pedelecer
Damn ! Gone are the days when 150 Euros was just 100 GBP...
Now, 140 Euros is 125.4 GBP !! :(

Crystalyte-Europe supply the Cycle Analyst for 140 Euros + shipping (15 Euros, although I'm sure this can be negotiated down). I can purchase directly in Euros (bypassing the GBP conversion), but the difference in price with a UK-supplied CA is so low that I'd rather buy "locally" :) (let's see how generous Santa Claus / Father Christmas / mum-and-dad are... :D )

Crystalyte Europe :: Cycle Analyst
Buy directly from Renaissance Bicycle Company
They produce the cycle analyst. 140$ + 15$ shipping.
In GBP: 95 !

Regards,
Jo

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document

If you buy goods online from a country outside the European Union, for instance the USA, Canada, China, Australia

You will be charged:

* Customs duty if the amount of duty is €10 (£7) or over
* Import VAT if the value of the goods is €22 (£18) and

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P36_3279

# Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £120 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.

Value Added Tax (VAT) - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to commercial goods over £18 in value, and on gifts that are over £36 in value. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

* basic value of goods, plus
* postage, packing and insurance, plus
* any import (customs or excise) duties charged.

Customs duty becomes payable if the goods are over £120 in value but is waived if the amount calculated is less than £7.

Customs duty is usually charged as a percentage of the value of the goods.

The amount of customs duty charged will depend on the type of goods imported and their value stated on the customs declaration CN22/CN23 (converted using the rates of exchange for the month of importation as shown on our website).

The percentage varies depending on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including any local sales taxes plus postage, packing and insurance costs. However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for customs duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.

Where the value of gifts is below £290 per consignment a flat rate of duty of 2.5% will be applied, but only if it is to your advantage.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
So, for a 155 USD Cycle Analyst (including delivery) => 94 GBP, we are below the Customs Duty threshold (120 GBP).

So we only pay Import VAT (same as national VAT), which is currently 15% (back to 17.5% on January 1st 2010).

That's 108 GBP.

(+ any Royal Mail "handling fee" )

Sure, it's a tenner less than buying from the UK, but with all the hassle (delivery times, risk of postal loss/damage, tax payment at collection depot) and the poor cross-continental support that may follow.

I'd rather buy "locally" then :)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
This simple module transmits data over Bluetooth, but it requires a Java-enabled phone:

Raczing Technology Ltd.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Now if I wanted such a device, I think this would be the one to get, sensibly priced too!

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
You've convinced me, so I've ordered the Raczing one - I'll tell you what it's like when it arrives.
It's a neat device but it doesn't really meet my needs.
There is no client software for the Linux-based portable device I use already for GPS tracking (which is not a Java-enabled mobile phone).
The Cycle Analyst is rainproof, backlit, small (to fit easily between the handlebars), and relatively robust. Plus if offers a conventional bike-computer speed/distance feature. It looks like I will have to break the bank again :)
Anyway, I'd love to hear your findings :)