Website update

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I think it's horrendous. There was nothing wrong with the old layout.
Sorry you don't like it, it's quite difficult to find a design that pleases everyone.

This update has been a huge change so it wasn't possible to keep the same look and feel. We're still working on it and it will probably take a few more weeks to get everything bedded down even with all the testing that was done beforehand.

Thanks
Russ.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Flecc,

I haven't finished tweaking the layout yet, but basically there is a left column that appears on wider displays which has a number of the button banners that used to appear on the right.

What will happen is they will move around depending upon the screen size and device being used.

This is why the old template could not be used when we upgraded the site, everything is about responsive design now and catering for the many different screen sizes, layouts and devices.

Thanks
Russ.
Thanks Russ, that makes sense. I haven't fallen for the wide screen gimmick so remain with a 4 x 3 format monitor that suits Windows best. Fortunately some still make those for serious users.

DVDs and the like I view on my 4K upscaling 65" smart TV.

Peering at 5 or 6" phone screens isn't for me and I can't imagine how small the posts look on those with a column of ads down the left,

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I don't see any ads on the left, just a single four part ad. on on the right with two parts flipping the message. But that doesn't disturb, I had to go looking since I'd been so unaware of any ads.
My desktop computer has the same 4 x 3 format as yours and when set to 110% zoom behaves exactly the same with Google Chrome/Linux.
Dave.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My desktop computer has the same 4 x 3 format as yours and when set to 110% zoom behaves exactly the same with Google Chrome/Linux.
Dave.
Just tried with Chrome and still I see no ads on the left Dave.

I haven't set any zoom factor, just come in on the browser defaults, only getting the forum and the odd ad on the right, as in my screenshot.

P.S. Just checked and my Firefox zoom factor is 110% like yours, but no left hand ads.

• Agree
Reactions: D C and Artstu

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Sorry you don't like it, it's quite difficult to find a design that pleases everyone.

This update has been a huge change so it wasn't possible to keep the same look and feel. We're still working on it and it will probably take a few more weeks to get everything bedded down even with all the testing that was done beforehand.

Thanks
Russ.
Russ - sorry if this has been asked but I could not see the answer anywhere - will Tapatlak be supported and whats a rough timeframe if so ?

much appreciated

super josh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2018
I like the new layout, but one annoying thing is that I like to ctrl left-click to open threads in a new tab. And whilst this works it also opens the thread in the current tab too :(

Can this be fixed?

Cheers,

Josh

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: danielrlee

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Clicking with the centre wheel works for me, threads then open in a new tab without opening in the current tab. Not all mice have this function of course.
Dave.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Russ - sorry if this has been asked but I could not see the answer anywhere - will Tapatlak be supported and whats a rough timeframe if so ?

much appreciated
Hi Kirstin,

We're just going to let the site bed down for a bit to make sure all the various bits of updated software play together nicely.

I do have some questions for Tapatalk regarding GDPR so it might be a couple of weeks.

Thanks
Russ.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I like the new layout, but one annoying thing is that I like to ctrl left-click to open threads in a new tab. And whilst this works it also opens the thread in the current tab too :(

Can this be fixed?

Cheers,

Josh
^ This.

CTRL+ left-click to open in a new window is now soooo infuriating. What with Tapatalk access also being down, I've practically stopped using the forum for the while.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I was rather surprised it was changed on the basis of 'if it ain't broke' etc. It now seems to take a few more mouse clicks to get where you want to be.
It wasn't a case of 'if it ain't broke', there were a number of pieces of software that needed to be updated/replaced and it wasn't possible to keep the old style. Plus the old site was not very mobile friendly.

If you spot any issues, please be as descriptive as possible. There is likely to another update in the New Year when Xenforo 2.1 is released so we may be able to incorporate some additional tweaks.

Thanks
Russ.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Yes, if they would dump that `Eroad/Commuting` tab and replace it with a `New Posts` one that would be a lot easier and faster than now.

Atm from reading a thread to go to new posts i have to go to the three Menu bars, a side panel comes out and then i have to go down and select `New Posts......... not at all user friendly.:(

Reactions: flecc

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Just to add, when you are describing issues please state your:

Device
O/S
Browser (Chrome,Safari etc)
Screen resolution (if on PC/Mac)
Orientation (tablet/phone)

Thanks
Russ.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
I noticed that I don’t stayed logged on anymore even though the stay logged on box ticked. Every time I visit the site I have to log in. Very annoying

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Russ, I think if you put in a top horizontal menu option with the link to new posts you would make a lot of people happy. Looking at the code it is a pretty basic thing to do.

Electric bikes - kits - emtb - road/commute - new posts

Something like that might work in about the same amount of screen real estate.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Russ, I think if you put in a top horizontal menu option with the link to new posts you would make a lot of people happy. Looking at the code it is a pretty basic thing to do.

Electric bikes - kits - emtb - road/commute - new posts

Something like that might work in about the same amount of screen real estate.
Just lose one of those four tabs, ie the `Eroad/Commuting` , (it`s useless!) one and replace it with New Posts
At present navigating to find New Posts is a bit awkward.

Advertisers