well i got some heated gloves for £30

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and look what you get :rolleyes: 150ma of pure power to warm your hands o_O

DSC_0131_03.JPG

tho not all is lost as they do work with the right amount of power just they want 8v and 2.7 amps and get warm fast so need to make a 2s batt with some 18650s i have just waiting for a bms to show up to put one together.

i did look and a lipo batt that goes in these things are £20 for a 2000ma one so might as well use the 10a 2500 18650s i have.

Reactions: Bikes4two and awol

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
So after SW's modifications, we're looking for the rider of a hot-rodded Haibike screaming down the street with his hands on fire?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0711_03.JPG

why im going to wait for a bms ;) there is nothing in that black box bar a on switch and a led, i also doubt any bms is in the gloves either.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
and look what you get :rolleyes: 150ma of pure power to warm your hands o_O
tho not all is lost as they do work with the right amount of power just they want 8v and 2.7 amps and get warm fast so need to make a 2s batt with some 18650s i have just waiting for a bms to show up to put one together.
I would do some experimenting first with some crocodile clips etc, just to see exactly how hot the gloves get!

I speak from experience!
I had a pair of heated gloves that IIRC used one large standard 1.5v C or D cell per glove. They just weren't that hot, so I decided to do as you are thinking, and replace the standard battery with a multi AA pack arrangement.
I think I initially went with a 3 cell (in series) arrangement, but going up from 1.5v to 3.6v for those particular gloves meant they were practically burning my hands!
I had to drop back down to 2AAs.
Obviously different gloves will be designed for different voltages, but you get the idea ...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i did as tried a 5v 2a power bank and still did nothing heat wise and only came to life when i used my 8.4v 6 cell power bank and then started to get warm.

these are the batts that are to be used with them but no idea if they have a bms?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
these are the batts that are to be used with them but no idea if they have a bms?
Hmmm. Hang on, I'm a bit confused now.
So it looks like the batteries you just linked to (hard to tell, as for some reason, that website is going totally screwy for me on any browser ???) are like these ones yes?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-TOTMOX-Batteries-3-5x1-35MM-Interface/dp/B09J844H84

But those aren't the ones shown in your original photo above.

What batteries came with your £30 gloves? (or didn't they come with batteries at that price?) and what is that battery pack shown in the first photo?

PS - got a link for the gloves? at that price, I'm half tempted to get a pair for the wife :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my mum ordered them but i think this is the link, note it says comes with the 3 batt aa box that just turns the leds on lol.

DSC_0132_03.JPG

had them on that for 30 mins and pulling 1.14 amp at 5 v and are warm but not enough power as must use the 7.4v lipo pack like other gloves.

they do come from china tho so expect 2-3 week postage.

• Informative
Reactions: GLJoe

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
note it says comes with the 3 batt aa box
had them on that for 30 mins and pulling 1.14 amp at 5 v and are warm but not enough power as must use the 7.4v lipo pack like other gloves.
Ok. So in your last photo, is that little circuit board something you've taken out of the '3AA battery box' and you've gone and soldered an old USB cable onto it, so you can power it off your powerbank and also see the current draw?

And is the connector in the gloves what I believe is a 3.5 x 1.35mm type like this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114147287245

Because I think that indeed is the type used in the majority of other gloves that have the 7.4v lipo packs. (but I'm not 100% certain as I've never had to use one of those types of connectors before!)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes they came with 2 batt boxes for 3 aa batts and have taken the pcb out of it and wired it to a usb cable so can use the power bank.

and it looks like the same connector as in the ebay link but fook 14 quid lol ill just chop it off and use one i have here when i make the new batt.

DSC_0133_02.JPG
3 cells will fit in the space and leave a bit of room.

Last edited:

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My partner bought some from amazon, which were 2x the price, but actually work well.

The best ones are North of £250 though, and designed for Scandinavian motorcyclists.
decent batts are expensive and i doubt the ones for 60 quid wont last that long so planned on making my own anyway as simple and cheap enough for me to do anyway.

now how long they will last is another thing but they want more power than 5v at 1amp as went as high as 2.7a from my other pack that is 8.4v.

if they do crap out ill cut them apart and see what is inside ;)

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
and it looks like the same connector as in the ebay link but fook 14 quid
Yea ... the £14 is a bit steep. I only posted that link as it happened to be the first thing I came across.
You can buy individual connectors a lot cheaper.
I have considered making up a custom lead for my current Sealskinz gloves (that seem to have the same connector and use the same style of 7.4v Lipo battery), but have external 18650 battery packs in say a jacket pocket, with wires running down my arms into the gloves. The external battery packs I have won't fit into the glove compartments.

3 cells will fit in the space and leave a bit of room.
Hmmm. How are you intending to wire up 3 x 18650 batteries? I Don't think that will work.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Yea ... the £14 is a bit steep. I only posted that link as it happened to be the first thing I came across.
You can buy individual connectors a lot cheaper.
I have considered making up a custom lead for my current Sealskinz gloves (that seem to have the same connector and use the same style of 7.4v Lipo battery), but have external 18650 battery packs in say a jacket pocket, with wires running down my arms into the gloves. The external battery packs I have won't fit into the glove compartments.

Hmmm. How are you intending to wire up 3 x 18650 batteries? I Don't think that will work.
im not it will just be 2 cells for 8.4v with a 2s bms but how long did the original seal skin batts last ? and what sort of amps do they pull from the batts ?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
im not it will just be 2 cells for 8.4v with a 2s bms but how long did the original seal skin batts last ? and what sort of amps do they pull from the batts ?
The batteries say 7.4v 2200mah

I'd say they last around 2.5hrs on a full charge.

I don't have the cables/connectors to measure the running current, but it looks as if its close to an amp if the mah rating is correct.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0134_03.JPG

4 will fit that way but getting a bit to heavy with that many and not going to get any of those cells for cheap any time soon.

all i need is about 1 hr so 2 new 2500mah should just about do it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was pondering whether wrapping far-infra red LEDs like these around the handlebars, would warm my hands better - far-infra red heats tissue thororughly. If the light source is powerful enough, far-infra red waves will travel through dry gloves, heat up soggy gloves and water-rich hands:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I was pondering whether wrapping far-infra red LEDs like these around the handlebars, would warm my hands better - far-infra red heats tissue thororughly. If the light source is powerful enough, far-infra red waves will travel through dry gloves, heat up soggy gloves and water-rich hands:

no that wont work for heat you need amps and voltage same as speed from a ebike motor @ 5v 1amp they get warm in about ten mins on full power, with 8.4v and 2.7a they heat up in seconds on full power.

:p

Last edited: