Well that was a bad idea

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The exposure light that I recently got, that wires directly into the motor i have just been informed by my LBS i got it at that the job of fitting one is likely to take 4 hours.
Personally I think that's a bit of a load of silliness, given exactly how long jobs take,I mean i can likely strip and replace every part of a non ebike in about an hoour but if that's what they are saying, i can hardly argue.
What this means really, is to wire in the light apparently means taking off the motor, the battery, the top and bottom connectors etc etc at a cost of £50/hour.
So to fit a £120 lamp to the bike, the shop wants to charge £200.

Utter utter madness.

Well I suppose i could do this myself, but im not convinced the motor has to come out, and it's a Scott, and according to the spec list it is supposed to be prewired for lamps, so i would imagine from that that that means(like those 3 'thats' in a row lol) just a case of feeding the lamp wire down the internal empty wire till it comes out about the motor area, connecting to the plug that you buy for each type from Exposure and lugging that in.
If its prewired for lights, i might not even have to have an LBS enable it, it might just be a case of plugging it in and away we go.
I know it is 12v, i just havent really looked to see how the 'prewiring' is installed, as in where it goes in, where it comes out, or if it needs to be enabled, or if thats already done and its basically plug and play.

£200 :eek: they're having a laff.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id say 50 quid would be a fair price for 1hrs work but 4 hrs is taking the pi$$ id find another lbs or just do it yourself.

problem is you will need a dealer to activate the light outputs and id bet they want 50 quid just for that also taking the pi$$ but with these locked systems they got you bent over a barrel.

Reactions: AndyBike and Nealh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
With a car it would be probably more than £200 labour to fit a 50p bulb behind the dashboard.

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
Is it a Bosch? I did a similar job and its relatively easy but it did take me a few hours, in saying that I would expect a professional to do it quicker. I had to get a dealer to enable the light function however (they charged a small fee for this).

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Is it a Bosch? I did a similar job and its relatively easy but it did take me a few hours, in saying that I would expect a professional to do it quicker. I had to get a dealer to enable the light function however (they charged a small fee for this).
Yeah io was shocked that they said a 4 hour job. I just couldn't tell them that's a load of crap as its the place i got the bike from, so don't want to cause animosity.

It says this in the bike specs " Bosch Light Cable pre-installed F&R "

So a bit like this vid. Cover off, and theres either going to be a spare wire sitting there ready for the light to be connected to, or an empty cable outer i slide the Exposure lamp wire in through(obviously from the front of the bike.

But theres certainly no need to remove a motor and claiming there is is, looks like the shop are misleading the customer.

A four hour job for me doing anything, would be totally stripping a bike(non ebike) down to the frame. Re bearing all the wheels, replacing all cables and outers,stripping and servicing the fork with new seals and wipers. Cleaning every component and reassembling the entire bike, before tuning it all, and even then i'd probably still have time for an extra long lunch.

It's just with the ebike thing im a bit , well not scared, though kind of, as its an unknown part of it all for me. But I suppose taking ooff the cover and at least looking as to whats in there is probably going to explain more visually than worrying about it from not knowing.

Vid not involving a four hour anything. -

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
I had to drop the motor to ferret the wires down the saddle and downtube. I also had to connect the light wires to the bosch harnesses (make sure you connect the right one, the rear light does not get the same power as the front - I got it wrong). I soldered the wires and then used heat shrink. I would be the same as you in that I do my own maintenance so it sounds like you could easily do it yourself. You may need a torque wrench for the motor mounting bolts and crank bolts. Also do you need a tool to remove the chainring - not sure what gen motor you have, mine was gen2.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Gen 4, 2021 bike Scott 920 Genius Eride

I've been looking at some people on YT wiring in lights, and one showed a prewired system, the wire you connect the light to was tucked behind the top battery mount, which was quite easily accessed, so from that i reckon if i take out the battery and have a little poke about in there im going to find the wire im suppose to attach my light wire to.

Im pretty sure "Bosch Light Cable pre-installed F&R " means just that.

The rear preinstalled rear light wire pokes out the frame on the non drive chainstay on the swingarm. that looks like you strip it, to connect to a rear system, so the front has to be the same.
I think a bit of exploring is required above the battery in that dead space. :confused: see what i can find.