Wet Wisper

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Back to an earlier question, as I've just been out for a ride and come back SOAKED due to (un-)expected downpour. Not used to rain in London...

Anyway...

Wisper performed okay up to a point, but on the way back, very wet, it seemed to be lacking some power. Is this just me being cold and wet, or can rain affect the electrics?

Should I dry it off, and if so what is the preferred method?

Thanks.

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shouldn't affect it Allen, water usually only has an effect when it shorts connections in the controller for example, cutting all power. A loss of power is most unlikely. It may be a combination of how you felt and you using the power more liberally to get home and out of it, reducing the battery charge content more than usual.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Fair enough, flecc.

I've just put on the Cateye computer, so will be able to report more objectively on speed and power. (Blimey, they must rate as one of the world's worst set of instructions. If I'd followed the pictures, I'd have put the sensor on the outside of the forks and then puzzled as to how the spoke magnet could pass within 5mm of the sensor...)

A

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I did warn that the instructions could be better, but this seems to be common to many of these products. Using a larger sheet of paper would help.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Or even many little sheets in a book format :D

I find them dreadful, too.

My HRM had the stupidist tiniest writing I've ever seen. Magnifying glass wass needed. :eek:

Vikki.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I did in fact blow them up on my photocopier before I tackled the fitting, but it really does show the sensor on the outside of the front forks!

And then in the next soppy little picture it is stressed that the gap between the sensor and the spoke magnet mustn't be more than 5mm. I puzzled over it for 24 hours before deciding that some boneheaded graphic artist had a hand in putting the leaflet together and went with sense rather than instruction.

A