What advance in bicycle technology has impressed you the most?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
While more expensive initially, sealed bottom brackets, in their various styles, are one of the developments that impress me. This goes right along with flec's getting rid of cotter pins.

Reactions: Fordulike and flecc

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
That was the later D cells version Fordulike mentioned, The original and forerunner used the Ever-Ready 3 volt twin cell battery which was in fact a pair of side by side joined F cells with brass strip terminals. There was a knob on top which when screwed down made contact with the top strip to light the bulb. Here's two of the earliest examples:

P.S. Battery photo just added below by Tommie, they go right back to pre WW2 I think, I knew them in the 1940s.

Modern gadgets! I preferred the carbide lamps on which you could warm your hands under your cape if you so desired! (No photo unfortunately)

Jim

Reactions: flecc

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Bafang BPM motor,will power most people up most hills without the complications of crank drive.....saves £500 without downside.
KudosDave
I had 5 bpm and had 3 of them who were damaged.

- 1 from wiring issue as when you fall it's likely to damage on the axle. Repairing that is damn hard.
- 2 had damaged clutches.

So yes it does have complication!!!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
cwah, didn't you overfeed your motors?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I had 5 bpm and had 3 of them who were damaged.

- 1 from wiring issue as when you fall it's likely to damage on the axle. Repairing that is damn hard.
- 2 had damaged clutches.

So yes it does have complication!!!
Cwah.....not sure what you were doing with them....I have sold over 1000 units only a couple with damaged gears,easily repaired.
What speed was your cutoff?
What current were you feeding?
KudosDave

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I was going to about 25-30mph and feeding around 1700w on it.

All broke :(

Reactions: trex

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was going to about 25-30mph and feeding around 1700w on it.

All broke :(
A bit off topic now but over cooked possibly depending on the version and winding a bit like ES members with their Q's the clutch mech just can't take the extr power, Cwah's BPM could be called pulled BPM.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Not produced yet, air cooled motors with internal impellers and external dual exhaust piping with the exhaust inlet/outlet mounted high enough to not take in water and dust, aka boiler exhausts, to keep the motor core temperature down when under high load conditions.

Last edited:

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
clipless pedals,when i was racing mtb in 1991 and shimano introduced the original spd`s it was a game changer.

Reactions: Emo Rider

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009