What are the best bikes for converting to pedelecs?

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
I'm still debating whether to buy a pre-made ebike or convert a bike.

I would ideally like to purchase the bike on my company cycle to work scheme which gives me a £1000 maximum to spend on the bike although I'd like to spend no more than £1000 all in if possible as I have found a few ready made ebikes at that price which look good enough for my usage.

It seems like there are a number of decently rated kits around which get good reviews and are reliable. I don't expect to have much issues fitting one myself but what I don't know much about is what types of bikes work best for ebikes.

I will be using the bike for a 1.1 mile trip to the station and back each day (2.2 miles total) which is primarily downhill on the way there and uphill on the way back (the incline is about 15% at parts). It's all relatively smooth roads that are reasonably maintained and I am 5'11 and 12.5 stone.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As a general rule, bikes that are good for conversion have a frame with a large triangle, disc brakes and space on the handlebars for a throttle. For the throttle, you have to look at the arrangement of shifter and brake to see if there's enough clearance.

For a bike that's going to be left at a station, it probably needs to be a very cheap bike, like those catalogue bikes that you can buy used for about £30. This sort of thing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apollo-phaze-mountain-bike/283460859932?hash=item41ff95781c:g:--kAAOSw8IpcvzGR

That one has steel forks, which are suitable for a front motor. if you're thinking about a high torque rear motor, then a steel frame is desirable, but not essential.

Don't forget that you're going to need a way to keep the rain off if you're going to leave it at the station all day.

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
As a general rule, bikes that are good for conversion have a frame with a large triangle, disc brakes and space on the handlebars for a throttle. For the throttle, you have to look at the arrangement of shifter and brake to see if there's enough clearance.

For a bike that's going to be left at a station, it probably needs to be a very cheap bike, like those catalogue bikes that you can buy used for about £30. This sort of thing.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apollo-phaze-mountain-bike/283460859932?hash=item41ff95781c:g:--kAAOSw8IpcvzGR

That one has steel forks, which are suitable for a front motor. if you're thinking about a high torque rear motor, then a steel frame is desirable, but not essential.

Don't forget that you're going to need a way to keep the rain off if you're going to leave it at the station all day.
I used to have an Apollo bike when I was in school - takes me back to the days of begging my parents to buy me a bike in Halfords.

I've been thinking quite a lot about way to avoid water damage to parts. I understand that many parts will have an IP rating but rather than rely on it, I may do some after market modifications to make it a bit better :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is it worth it for 1.1 miles surely a good walk of 15- 20 mins.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would go for a decent second hand hybrid or mountain bike that you find on ebay and gumtree. One with a good lightweight groupset and a wide straight bar.
I'm still debating whether to buy a pre-made ebike or convert a bike.

I would ideally like to purchase the bike on my company cycle to work scheme which gives me a £1000 maximum to spend on the bike although I'd like to spend no more than £1000 all in if possible as I have found a few ready made ebikes at that price which look good enough for my usage.

It seems like there are a number of decently rated kits around which get good reviews and are reliable. I don't expect to have much issues fitting one myself but what I don't know much about is what types of bikes work best for ebikes.

I will be using the bike for a 1.1 mile trip to the station and back each day (2.2 miles total) which is primarily downhill on the way there and uphill on the way back (the incline is about 15% at parts). It's all relatively smooth roads that are reasonably maintained and I am 5'11 and 12.5 stone.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!
any bike expected to be left exposed to the elements would need a fully enclosed chain cover because the drive is the first item to get the punishment, chain, crankset, derailleur, cogs etc. The next items to think of are the cables: gear shifter, brakes, electrical.
A front hub motor kit is also the most water resistant and easiest to install.
think of hub gears, hydraulic brakes, XF07 kit. A bit like my Sundowner, many still run in their 8th or 9th year of service with minimal looking after.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sundowner

For factory built e--bikes, something like the zephyr has good track record of coping with being used in London: nothing to attract thieves and yet a very capable and comfortable bike.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2018

Last edited:

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
Is it worth it for 1.1 miles surely a good walk of 15- 20 mins.
I've actually been walking it for nearly 3 years with the odd drive every now and then when I'm running late or the weather is really bad. It takes me about 18 minutes. The problem is that I have quite a long term injury which has been bothering me for a while now and the walk back in particular aggravates it.

Parking at the station is £4.50 a day (plus petrol, car insurance, tax, maintenance etc.) and a cab back from the station is ~£5.50 so it's just costing me a lot of money now (Yes I have a car that pretty much does nothing when I'm not driving to the station and yes I am planning to get rid of it when I get a bike).

the zephyr has good track record of coping with being used in London: nothing to attract thieves and yet a very capable and comfortable bike.
To clarify, I'm not in central London. I live in a small down just inside the M25 and my ride to the station would consist of pretty much entirely quiet residential roads where I might expect to encounter around 5 cars driving during my entire journey as I leave quite early in the morning.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
To clarify, I'm not in central London. I live in a small down just inside the M25 and my ride to the station would consist of pretty much entirely quiet residential roads where I might expect to encounter around 5 cars driving during my entire journey as I leave quite early in the morning.
one reason I mentioned the zephyr is because it is well waterproofed. All the electronics are inside the bike and high up, well away from surface water, the pedal sensor is on the left side, well protected with a metal shield and rubber gasket. I've been selling commuter bikes since 2011. Water is the main concerned with commuter bikes.
The new Karoo is also well waterproofed:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kizza and TheBag

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
one reason I mentioned the zephyr is because it is well waterproofed. All the electronics are inside the bike and high up, well away from surface water, the pedal sensor is on the left side, well protected with a metal shield and rubber gasket. I've been selling commuter bikes since 2011. Water is the main concerned with commuter bikes.
The new Karoo is also well waterproofed:
Thanks - That bike looks like it would be very suitable for what I need. I can't see that version on the Woosh website. Is it available yet?

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
I'd like to know more about this new Karoo too.

It looks better, image wise, than the old one, judging by that photo.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
When is the new Karoo going to be available?
Thanks - That bike looks like it would be very suitable for what I need. I can't see that version on the Woosh website. Is it available yet?
I'd like to know more about this new Karoo too.

It looks better, image wise, than the old one, judging by that photo.
late July/beginning of August.
They have to be assembled in Southend, hence a bit of delay.
The price is about £940 without LCD, £980 with LCD.
You can ride it with or without LCD.

Reactions: TheBag and Kizza

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
late July/beginning of August.
They have to be assembled in Southend, hence a bit of delay.
The price is about £940 without LCD, £980 with LCD.
You can ride it with or without LCD.
Probably a bit late for me unfortunately, I wanted to get my bike this month.