What do you do to prevent theft of your e-bikes/battery?

What do you do to prevent theft of your e-bikes/battery?

• Lock (never mind the kind)

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • Alarm system

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • GPS tracking

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I take the battery with me

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • I take bikes with me

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In addition to locking, never parking to a pattern in either place or time. I never remove a battery.

However I never do any long term parking like day, half day etc, it's mostly up to an hour or so and often much less than an hour.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
One cable lock and one d lock of top end ish testing

They need different tools to break, I'm told the opportunists usually have just one not to mention the extra time required

Generally d locks are better

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It stays in the garage at home. At work we have security guards and prowler patrols.
The small in size lipo hides in the tail box as well as a stealth approach. And my bike is so odd one chap asked why I had a dynamo on the cranks!

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
Mine just gets fetched out of the toy box, ridden, then put back in the toy box.

Toy box is where motorbikes are kept also as well as windsurfing gear, snowboarding gear so about as secure as you can get.

If I do leave it anywhere then it's in the back of the car. I have a little retractable cable lock that I keep in the back pack so if stopping at a tea / coffee shop for a break I tie it to something solid and usually sit by it / in sight and within running distance if someone takes a fancy to it.

99% of the time I am riding it though.

dgncsk

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
Ankara Turkey
i never leave bike un attended. if i park it inside our little garden for nights, one solid anatolian shepherd dog and a very big and cute golden retreiver will take care of rest. while golden retreiver is playing reverse psychological tricks on thief, shepherd dog would like to bite very professionally.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Mine is in a locked garage at home, at work its in a bike rack outside with a D lock, there is no possibility of bringing it inside as its a 'clean' laboratory facility. I do bring the battery in though.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Out and about two locks on the bike tethered to something solid/secure, If being left locked for more then 20/30mins battery with me. At home locked/chained together secured behind closed doors and batteries removed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wow, that's sad...if you have to traipse around with a battery. I want to ride into town, lock it up and spend two hours shopping and sipping coffee, then ride back home.
It's peace of mind knowing that some lowlife/scum doesn't try to nick or damage the bike, if some one thinks that the battery may have some value then it could be wrenched or kicked off causing more damage then it worth. Problem is today where ever you may live there are scum around, I usually only leave it for 15/20 mins whilst I pop in to Sainsbury's for a quick shop. A frame battery is obvious and makes a bike stand out more even, my dull grey unclean 700c Norco is the only bike I leave for any length of time.
Leaving your bike for 2 hours locked up could be a risky business, it only takes minutes and a group of lowlife around a bike to become an expensive bill. Some one else always wants what's yours even if you feel you live in a good area/neighbourhood.
Recently (a few months ago) a new poster enthused about her new bike and how pleased she was with it and how it was kept safe indoors, the same week she wrote how some one had forced the front door and said bike was gone. Ownership lasted about 5 days you just never know who's about.

Last edited:
Reactions: budsy

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Leaving your bike for 2 hours locked up could be a risky business, it only takes minutes and a group of lowlife around a bike to become an expensive bill.
:(

What you say about batteries makes perfect sense though. I was already leaning towards one of those folding MTBs with internal batteries. Usually not a lot of AH though.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Wow, that's sad...if you have to traipse around with a battery. I want to ride into town, lock it up and spend two hours shopping and sipping coffee, then ride back home.
Although I get your point, any more than 15mins shopping and I'm looking for an excuse to bring it to an end!

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Although I get your point, any more than 15mins shopping and I'm looking for an excuse to bring it to an end!
I must admit, with the internet there's less need for it. But I do like to read a paper over a coffee in a salubrious cafe and I have a photo snapping habit—I like a bit of street photography (and townscapes). Then there's the shoe and trouser shopping which is hated but can't be avoided.

• :D
Reactions: euphoriabuzz

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
I’m paranoid over bike security I don’t leave it unattended at all . When I’m at home it lives in the house , no way would I dream of leaving it in the garage / shed / outhouse . The main problem is I am meant to clean it before bringing it inside but that doesn’t always happen much to the wife’s annoyance ! When using the bike for work I leave it in the back of my VW Transporter securely locked with cable and D bolt style lock . I drive in to work Monday morning commute all week using bike and then drive home Friday afternoon ( in the hope I will get a weekend bike ride in ) . On weekend rides if we stop for coffee / cake someone stops with them whilst placing food order and we sit outside near to the bikes . People are always interested in them I get a lot of comments usually ‘ cheat ! ‘

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
When leaving bike in town I remove battery and use 3 locks + cable to secure saddle. Alarm is used and cheap bluetooth tracker.

This all weighs quit a lot, but the alternative for me is using the bike a lot less.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have begun thinking about the trike, of course it will get the two lock treatment but:

- it won't fit in the bike garage at the station unfolded :(
- it has a nice comfy seat people will want to try (especially small kids holding ice creams...)

So my idea is to lock it up near the police station and cover it with a rain cover. Even in the hot summer sun.

Advertisers