What do you do to prevent theft of your e-bikes/battery?

What do you do to prevent theft of your e-bikes/battery?

• Lock (never mind the kind)

Votes: 55 65.5%
  • Alarm system

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • GPS tracking

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I take the battery with me

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • I take bikes with me

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
When leaving bike in town I remove battery and use 3 locks + cable to secure saddle. Alarm is used and cheap bluetooth tracker.

This all weighs quit a lot, but the alternative for me is using the bike a lot less.
How long do you leave the bike?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Most of the time, it is in our garage or behind a big, heavy locked gate at work. (A 30 foot wall at the back of the yard makes other access options non-feasible for anyone with bad intent.)

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi
My thoughts on bike IN- security
Do not post your latest ride gps or live track on any public site or social media, the first thing most of us do is, bike outside front of house get on and before we set off push the button then when we arrive home push stop rush in and upload the latest pics and the data so the bad guys now know your location within a few feet and which days and what time you ride .this also applies to your ride to work and where you leave your pride and joy parked all day.

physical security is always best the more locks the better in the uk try and buy things that are marked sold secure and lock it to a ground anchor even if it is in the garage or shed remember to cover it up if they cannot see it from the window they might not try

The real problem is when you just pop to the local shop do you take your d lock metal cable 4 foot length of chain then try to find a solid item to lock it to [ just think how much all this security weighs ] pop in the shop to find some little sh-t has taken a battery angle to the lot and the local council cctv
was pointing the other way. but at least the local shop cctv got good pictures
of the yoof in a grey hoodie and a scarf round his face and don't forget the gloves even in summer on the hottest day

Rant over I have worked in the electronic security industry for over 40 years[now semi retired] cctv alarms trackers etc and I cannot think of a way to keep an ebike safe

Reactions: oyster

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi oyster
mine are locked in the garage behind a steel door with multiple locks alarm and cctv with a guard dog and a small dog to wake the big dog :rolleyes: up and if somebody really wants them nothing will stop them over the years I have seen the supposedly theft proof and 24 hour guarded just vanish

just think what will happen when the moped / phone thieves start on e bikes:eek:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hi oyster
mine are locked in the garage behind a steel door with multiple locks alarm and cctv with a guard dog and a small dog to wake the big dog :rolleyes: up and if somebody really wants them nothing will stop them over the years I have seen the supposedly theft proof and 24 hour guarded just vanish

just think what will happen when the moped / phone thieves start on e bikes:eek:
Of course bad things happen round here, far too many of them, but it does feel much safer than several other places I have lived. Have not heard of a moped riding thief such as you mean - perhaps I need to read the local papers better. :)

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
How long do you leave the bike?
Varies really. I use that method whenever I'm out of sight. I wouldn't leave it overnight or more than few hours in fear for bits being taken off it. In my old job I used to park it directly outside the building so I could hear the alarm if it went off.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Living near London and spending many years working there you can spot the thieves near the railway stations and tube stations they hunt in small packs on mopeds or they travel on the tube. I have seen bolt croppers and angle grinders used the bike or moped goes in front of your eyes before you can react ,one London open market has banned the sale of bikes and east London is the worst area in the country for bike theft the met used to have a stolen bike squad

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
That's good to know, your risk assessment sounds very effective. A friend of mine was going to purchase a folding e-bike (but doesn't want to lug it on the bus due to a bad back) but has been deterred as she thinks it will get stolen if she leaves it chained up part-way on her commute to work. I'm gutted she will miss out on this experience. Thanks for your reply.
Varies really. I use that method whenever I'm out of sight. I wouldn't leave it overnight or more than few hours in fear for bits being taken off it. In my old job I used to park it directly outside the building so I could hear the alarm if it went off.

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
As I understand it, a bike is stolen in London every six seconds. I'm lucky in that where I live the last recorded incident of anti-social behaviour was six years ago when a youth stamped on some daffodils. When not on my bike, it is locked in the garage. My heart goes out to young people who have to deal with the reality of bike theft on a daily basis.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Wasn't very securely locked was it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I seem to remember ex prime minister Cameron had his nicked when he popped into the shop and fixed it to a three foot high bollard.
He’s not very clever tho :D
When London's parking meters were introduced the official instruction to cyclists was that the correct place to park bikes was on the pavement side of a meter post and chained to it.

It never occurred to officialdom that it meant the bike could just be lifted off the post.

• :D
Reactions: Scorpio

Muddy

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
When London's parking meters were introduced the official instruction to cyclists was that the correct place to park bikes was on the pavement side of a meter post and chained to it.

It never occurred to officialdom that it meant the bike could just be lifted off the post.
When they were introduced I don’t suppose it was easy to lob a penny farthing over the post
Kidding aside, not very clever advice haha

Coffee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2018
I will be shopping for locks over the weekend,
Thinking of a dlock + wire combo. Seen one in halfords for £35 quid that looks ok.
Will wait till the bike arrives take it with me and see what works best with this folder.
Luckily they've installed a covered bike park where I work, well out of the publics field of view one way in and one way out of a 40 foot entrance makes strangers easily noticeable, especially since the majority wear a uniform Or are suited.

But i will still use a lock and remove the battery, it was not that many month ago that someone wondered in and stole a company van that had been left with the keys still in the ignition! :rolleyes:

Can't really see me leaving it anywhere else, at home it will be in the boot of our car (if i cant make room in the shed,) behind 6 foot locked gates, indoors, or I will be riding it or it will be parked locked very close by whist I'm drinking a cuppa.:)

Dave.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Just think would you leave the cash value of your bike poorly protected :(
try and buy the highest rated lock you can afford
two separate locks are better than an all in one
one d lock and one chain with a separate padlock will take longer to cut through

Reactions: Coffee

Advertisers