What ebike security do you use?

• Thread starter Deleted member 33385
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 33385

How do you lock yours? I don't ever intend to leave my folding bike anywhere, but have a D-lock and a long cable to secure both wheels. I'll be carrying my 22.7kg Dahon Helios P8 folding bike on a folding trolley - the only way my bike can be stolen is if I'm mugged, either while riding it or if I stop momentarily to get my bearings, or distracted while engaged in a conversation... so I bought this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Anti-Robo-Waterproof-Warning-Trackers/dp/B07XLHWDJF/

...of course, a savvy bike thief will recognise it, but an opportunist mugger woouldn't have time. I could then find him, and use my "Very particular set of skills," to get my bike back:

I'm very pleased with this device: It only costs a maximum of £20 a year on Pay As You Go Giffgaff (if texts only - no data). Here are all of it's functions and features:

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

I'm reliably informed they weren't implants, just the result of a very tight costume ...

...the design looked great but were alarmingly firm in 80s, but they looked great

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Just bough this for my e bike as it gives me more locking options compared to my New York Kryptonite U lock- good price currently - almost half price compared to some online sellers, as recommended by the Lock Picking Lawyer: (yes he can pick it but otherwise it's well made and a good choice for brute force attacks - though nothing will be perfect)

D

Deleted member 33385

Just bough this for my e bike as it gives me more locking options compared to my New York Kryptonite U lock- good price currently - almost half price compared to some online sellers, as recommended by the Lock Picking Lawyer: (yes he can pick it but otherwise it's well made and a good choice for brute force attacks - though nothing will be perfect)

The Lock Picking Lawyer is terrifying to behold! Especially after you've dropped a chunk of change on something that you feel sure is secure. I watched aghast as he tore through my new door lock in seconds...

...and you're right, brute force:

Nearly all bike thieves will use brute force in any bike stealing/robbing situation

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I find it odd that premium ebikes don't have trackers factory fitted.

They're hampered by MBA-think - they're taught to create a "Product Ecosystem" and lock it all in - building their own tracking system (expensive) and charging a service fee. Installing a generic tracker and leaving space for a telco to enable it's function, without the premium ebike manufacturer getting a kickback, makes it uninteresting from the point of view of increasing profits.

D

Deleted member 33385

I'm not convinced by any lock I have seen anywhere thus far. Here's my bike in a bag - the shopping bag was a test for size, I'll order a much better bag at least 85cm tall... my Dahon folded fits on the trolley:

...silly but true...

Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
I find it odd that premium ebikes don't have trackers factory fitted.
Incendentaly what are your special skills? Do you have implants like 7 of 9?
Premium car manufacturers don't fit them as standard, so it's unlikely that the manifacturers of less expensive items would do so.

Such aystems aren't at all difficult to defeat, particularly on mechamically simple, portable items like a bicycle. The moment they become standard on any model it would serve only to let the thief know precisely what tracker would be fitted, and use his standard method to overcome it.

D

Deleted member 33385

Premium car manufacturers don't fit them as standard, so it's unlikely that the manifacturers of less expensive items would do so.

Such aystems aren't at all difficult to defeat, particularly on mechamically simple, portable items like a bicycle. The moment they become standard on any model it would serve only to let the thief know precisely what tracker would be fitted, and use his standard method to overcome it.

Couriers, Taxi drivers and Lorry drivers defeat GPS signals with jammers all the time, to get their "Quality Time"... It's a litte harder to jam AGPS (cellphone tower based GPS).