What ebike would be the least effort to ride

gspeed

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2020
I have ME so I'm bit susceptible to exertion, it can take weeks to recover if I do too much. I bought a Fiido D1 and found it too tiring even though I didn't pedal. I'm not sure if the man handling of the bike to get it going or my legs softening the bumps. What bike would be light and a smooth upright ride that I could convert ?

Last edited:
Reactions: gsm.terra

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
As above ,something with a throttle. Allows you to get out, enjoy the fresh air, maybe even do a shop and carry your goods home again without straining your capabilities.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My Bafang bbs01b conversion is specifically programmed to make me feel like Superman... Miles roll by without breaking a sweat. It's not that I'm lazy - I slow jog for actual exercise - it's just that my damaged old my knees can't cope with pedalling anymore, without intense lasting pain. You can't program any ready made bike, like one can a Bafang BBSXX. If you're handy with tools (you don't have to be very good with them either - a basic knowledge of bike mechanics was sufficient in my case), a conversion takes about two hours, unless your bottom bracket is a b*stard to take out, but compatible. And you'll need a bigger battery, like my 19.2Ah. But not everyone likes or can cope with, or can adjust to a cadence sensored kit. I've got used to it, pedalling is a breeze.

Last edited:

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
First thing is to ask Fiido if you can fit a throttle. (Explain to them why you need it).

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
First thing is to ask Fiido if you can fit a throttle. (Explain to them why you need it).
Both Tongshen kits I fitted came with "throttles"...
Built grandson a 350w Tongshen on a 24 inch wheeled mtb and made mistake of fitting throttle. He often rides past Lycra clad experts uphill.... Air pedalling... Threatened to remove throttle.. He begs me not to..
Think for ease of pedalling tho (if you don't want throttle) my Haibike in Turbo would take some beating. It gives all its torque at low cadence (my Giant has to be worked higher up cadence scale) and I believe in Turbo its 380% assistance. Haibike certainly easier to pedal than either Bafang or Tongshen kits... Until you use throttle.
Try a Haibike yamaha or their new one. Which I believe is over 500% help.
On no throttle bikes the Haibike TQ Flyon as got to be easiest to pedal. Firstly it's 120nm torque and secondly it has 600% help in highest setting. They are expensive tho. I couldn't believe how torquey it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I bought a Fiido D1 and found i too tiring even though I didn't pedal. I'm not sure if the it's man handling the bike get it going or my legs softening the bumps.
For the benefit of other members here, the now discontinued Fiido D1 was a £500, small wheeled, 36v/250w ebike weighing 17.5kg, and already had an unrestricted throttle fitted. The D2 (D2S with gears) is the newer equivalent.

If you're unable to manhandle that even riding with throttle only I doubt a Wisper at 22+kg or any other ebike is going to make life any easier. Sorry I've nothing positive to add, but precious few e-bikes weigh much less than 17.5kg at any price, and even fewer that come with an unrestricted throttle.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh and gspeed

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Rambletta may be worth a look. You'll need to pedal a bit to activate the throttle though.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
For the benefit of other members here, the now discontinued Fiido D1 was a £500, small wheeled, 36v/250w ebike weighing 17.5kg, and already had an unrestricted throttle fitted. The D2 (D2S with gears) is the newer equivalent.

If you're unable to manhandle that even riding with throttle only I doubt a Wisper at 22+kg or any other ebike is going to make life any easier. Sorry I've nothing positive to add, but precious few e-bikes weigh much less than 17.5kg at any price, and even fewer that come with an unrestricted throttle.
I suspect tho in easy pedal stakes a mountain bike type bike with crank motor is going to be way to go. Mtb by nature has both biggest range of gears and certainly lowest and if crank drive those gears are available for motor.
The little mtb I built for grandson sets off nicely under throttle with me aboard as long as in bottom gear, do same in higher gear and its a different story.

gspeed

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2020

Thanks I know you're right I can dream though :) ( I paid £350 for the D1 what a bargain !! )

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The last bike in the world for gspeed to buy and use is a TS pas sensing type bike, they just aren't suitable for those who have lack of strength/stamina issues.

Although the bike manoeuvring/weight may be the issue one suspects for a legal route a Wisper step thru bike will be the best option having a fully legal throttle that has been passed via an msva station and paper work supplied. As cyclebuddy has mentioned no ebike is going to be very light, even a brompton is going to be 15 - 19kg depending on the bike and kit fitted.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The last bike in the world for gspeed to buy and use is a TS pas sensing type bike, they just aren't suitable for those who have lack of strength/stamina issues.

Although the bike manoeuvring/weight may be the issue one suspects for a legal route a Wisper step thru bike will be the best option having a fully legal throttle that has been passed via an msva station and paper work supplied. As cyclebuddy has mentioned no ebike is going to be very light, even a brompton is going to be 15 - 19kg depending on the bike and kit fitted.
That's a bloody good point nealh about TS, which I hadn't considered, because I've never used a TS ebike. The cadence sensor on the bbs01b only needs a little movement to work - on my bike an easy rotation or two on a very low gear with very little effort, is sufficient for the activation of 100% pedal assistance at it's highest level of 9, at 100% keep current at 15A; after programming. My bike is pretty much a moped without a throttle - zooms off with no effort at all. Unless something catastrophic happens on the road, I'm pretty sure I could keep using it or something like it, til I'm much older and in far worse health. Until then, I'll continue to feel like Superman. If he cycles. But he probably prefers flying, as I would if I had the option.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
When we get electrically assisted flying kits they'll maybe need arm waving sensors to be legal; stop waving your arms and the assistance stops.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When we get electrically assisted flying kits they'll maybe need arm waving sensors to be legal; stop waving your arms and the assistance stops.
That's just what I've always wanted! I'll keep wearing my underpants over my trousers and cycle wearing a cape, so I'm ready for this marvellous, inevitable and absolutely necessary upgrade kit.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We will all need very strong hard hats for these magnificent flying kits to bounce off.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney