What front lights have you got .

M

mencal

I've somehow lost my front light, so I'm in the market for a new one/set
Mine was just one of the aldi sets you get, but it was pretty good to see with.
What have you got? I'm wondering whether to get a cheap Amazon one, or something more expensive from a decent brand

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
USB cheap jobs with rubber base fixing , bright as a shiningg star with 3 or 4 mode settings.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I use two "1800lm" ebay and one "2300lm" AliExpress headlight soldered to my bike's battery, all cheapos, and I keep them on day and night because they keep me out of trouble far more than they get me noticed by the wrong people. The bright flashing mode during the day shining brightly on tarmac ahead of me is particularly useful at blind intersections, and prevented a repeat of a nasty accident recently - something similar happened in late 80's which prompted me to stop cycling until 2019; unavoidable without very bright headlights, which weren't available then.

My camera underexposes scenes on auto. The rattling noise is a recently installed headlight knocked loose and out of front facing position, by a series of horrible potholes. My bike is rolling downhill, hence the speed:

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
While on the subject
I bought this usb powered one a few years ago. Running off a power bank I think its a great idea. Not been able to find another like it or a rear red version.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
It depends on whether you want to see where you are going or just want to be seen by others.
I just wanted a "daytime flash" light and have one of these:-
Moon Mizar Front LED Cycle Light | eBay
It lasts for many hours without recharging and is also useful in "steady" mode as a small pocket torch. It's not bad in the dark on the brightest "steady" mode on lit streets, but I don't think it would powerful enough in complete darkness.
They seem to be discontinued now and I paid about £25.00 for my black one. If you're not fussed about colour these are a bargain. Moon make good quality lights - I also have an Arcturus Pro rear light which is excellent.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
While on the subject
I bought this usb powered one a few years ago. Running off a power bank I think it’s a great idea. Not been able
While on the subject
I bought this usb powered one a few years ago. Running off a power bank I think its a great idea. Not been able to find another like it or a rear red version.
View attachment 53700
Not a recommendation but you can still buy USB powered lights.

SecurityIng USB Powered Bicycle Light, LED Headlamp Waterproof 700 Lumens 4 Modes Cycling Front Lamp Bike Headlight for Mountain Road, Kids and City Bicycle - No Internal Battery https://amzn.eu/d/3cgrHvO

SecurityIng USB Powered Bicycle Light, LED Headlamp Waterproof 1800 Lumens 4 Modes Cycling Front Lamp Bike Headlight for Mountain Road, Kids and City Bicycle - USB Cable Included https://amzn.eu/d/gxQpMzH

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
While on the subject
I bought this usb powered one a few years ago. Running off a power bank I think its a great idea. Not been able to find another like it or a
rear red version.
View attachment 53700
I made this "1800LM" headlight red using two or three layers (I forget how many) of heat-resistant red acetate sheet bought on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204396457569

...which was a handy tip from @Nealh - he did the same with a headlight a few years ago. One layer merely made it orange, too many made it pink. If your light doesn't unscrew to enable red acetate sheet to be inserted, perhaps a hot air gun could loosen the adhesive? Or there may be some way to secure it externally? A very bright rear red light is well worth it IMHO. This "1800LM" is on day and night. It's flashing is visible to drivers ahead of bends on dark winding roads; illuminates reflectors on bends, and roadside foliage.

I forgot to mention my "70 Lux" fork front light. I added more lights after this photo was taken:

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Check out front wheel hub dynamo systems perhaps, mine came fitted and must use capacitors as lights remain on for minutes after movements stopped.. its called the parking light feature..

6v and leds make for a good front beam too. more than satisfactory for city urban and residential cycling.
the dynamo induced flicker is a good attention grabber imho too.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not a recommendation but you can still buy USB powered lights.

SecurityIng USB Powered Bicycle Light, LED Headlamp Waterproof 700 Lumens 4 Modes Cycling Front Lamp Bike Headlight for Mountain Road, Kids and City Bicycle - No Internal Battery https://amzn.eu/d/3cgrHvO

SecurityIng USB Powered Bicycle Light, LED Headlamp Waterproof 1800 Lumens 4 Modes Cycling Front Lamp Bike Headlight for Mountain Road, Kids and City Bicycle - USB Cable Included https://amzn.eu/d/gxQpMzH
Does look like the front of those could be unscrewed, for red heat-resistant acetate to be inserted. If not, there's always a way to make a front headlight red, even if it means sellotaping it on over the front and self-amalgamating rubber taping around... like I had to do with this small Planet X "Super Mini" headlight. Surprisingly, despite being in many rain showers it hasn't fallen off.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/planet-x-super-mini-2-way-200-lumen-bike-helmet-light

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
We use Moon lights which are very good.

They do have large range from very cheap to more expensive, so you should find something suitable.

Their website is very informative and many retailers, including Amazon stock their lights.

DG…