What is the most important to you.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
We all have different needs from a bike,what are the most important considerations when choosing a bike for you,what could tempt you into a new bike,my most important points are to hide the battery as well as possible i want stealth not look at me im electric, apart from cytronex most batteries stick out like a sore thumb,it would not be to hard or expensive to hide the batteries behind plastic covers that are the same colour as the frame,also there is the need for an affordable battery replacement,at present the cost of replacing a lithium battery can be as much or more than the likely second hand value of some bikes, leaving you thinking is it really worth replacing the battery what else can you do with it ,i think a shift away from lithium iron is needed to attract customers.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes, it's stealth for me too. I like the bike to feel like a normal bike too and be able to cycle it as such without power. Now if I had to use it for much longer journeys that view might change and I'd probably be prepared to compromise for additional power and assisted range. My normal round trips vary anywhere between 2 miles and 18 miles.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Aesthetics are a big consideration for me. When I was first looking at ebikes I was put off as they all looked like retro postie bikes. The GoCycle made me look again and now I ride the Wisper 905 sport. (The GoCycle was a cool looking bike but the range and noise was a big minus).

Hiding the battery would be a great improvement. I don't understand why more manufacturers don't hide them in the middle of the frame behind a nice moulding. Perhaps with modular batteries that can be added or removed depending on the distance you need to travel.

The behind the seat design is practical but ugly.

Speed is also a winner for me. If this wasn't a function of legislation I would say a 20mph bike would be perfect as a commuter.

Range is also a consideration, though I don't think about it so much now knowing that the Wisper can easily manage the 20 mile round trip.

Standardisation would be something I would give some more thought to on the next ebike purchase. I just assumed that I would be able to buy all the usual spares, bar the electronics, from a local bike shop.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hiding the battery would be a great improvement. I don't understand why more manufacturers don't hide them in the middle of the frame behind a nice moulding. Perhaps with modular batteries that can be added or removed depending on the distance you need to travel.
The odd models do of course, but practicality will ensure that this will never be widespread. Incorporating the battery in the frame usually means it's impossible to remove quickly for charging, swapping to a second battery during a long journey or bringing it into the warm in winter.

On the odd in-frame design where swapping is possible, it's at the expense of a small battery and often frame compromises too. It's easy to forget that the traditional diamond frame configuration is the most efficient for a bicycle and changing from it in an unsuitable way to suit battery incorporation isn't wise.

At least the rear of seatpost position doesn't impair efficiency much, just making the steering a little "slower" due to the fractional increase in wheelbase.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I was thinking of a moulding or cover that covers the hole in the frame rather than inside the frames metal work - where, yes the batteries are usually a lot smaller.

I figured something like the optibike or probably more like the el moto ( ELMOTO - Kleinkraftrad mit Elektroantrieb - urban lifestyle mobility I seem to come back to that a lot!). Then it would be easy to hinge one or both sides and fit several thin battery packs.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that could be better, the Infineon multi-battery solution but neater than on the rear rack.

There are potential snags though, extra cowlings mean more weight, they are often the source of rattles, they are more prone to unsightly accidental damage than simple bike frames are, and they add to the bike's cost.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Funny, maybe it's my relatively advanced years, but I really don't give much thought to aesthetics - and certainly none to whether others know I have a battery and electric motor - I find one of the nicest things about advancing a bit through life is no longer giving a damn what others (outside a short list of people) think (you should see the hats I wear in the cold weather).

I guess my priorities are reliability, sturdiness and range - I used to think speed was important but I'm a real potterer-about these days.