What jacket do you use

Bobbish

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2018
Addingham
www.youtube.com
I commute every day on my Cube Reaction in all weathers.
When its bad weather I just use a big yellow hi-vis jacket like builders use. But it is big and bulky.
What waterproof jacket do you use that is also warm.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I also have a high vis work jacket which is plenty warm and visible but is bulky and can sometimes slip down the back of the saddle when stopping so only use it for nipping to the off liscence, but I find layers to be the best way of keeping warm without too much restriction to movement.
From my motorcycling days I still have a North Cape base leyer set and for sub zero rides I wear Aldi cycling tights over the North Cape longjohns with either jeans or shorts on top. For my upper half I wear a thin jumper over the North Cape long sleeved vest with a snug fitting Aldi winter cycling jacket on top, with thin waterproof jacket rolled up in my pocket to put on on top of that if its wet.
I like everything to be a snug fit to avoid anything flapping about if its windy so prefer cycling specific clothing rather than general outdoor clothing, and shops like Aldi and Liddl have plenty of offerings that wont break the bank.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Planet x lumen 8 jacket or a lidl one (very waterproof but hot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Its purely a matter of personal choice but Gubbins, sums it up rightly, layers.

Get a good base layer then another cycling top, because they have long backs and don't ride out of your trousers when cycling, then if you really need another top, possibly short sleeved. On top you can wear a much thinner waterproof jacket.

All of my cycling tops/jackets are Hi Vis so if I take a layer off I'm still visible. I cringe when I see folk cycling to work on a dark morning and wearing black....

Layers will trap air in between, so just build up as many as you need to keep warm, then if it's sunny on the way home, you can just remove one or two to suit the conditions.

Thin waterproof trousers are a god send as well and don't weight too much to carry.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
One further comment from me, as all year round commuter, is to get cycle specific trousers

I've bought very high quality non cycle specific and regregeted it. Although wonderfully waterproof to begin with the seams around the bum area are just not up to the job and soon leak. By comparison I have a lidl workamns jacket which is thick , hot and waterproof for deep winter . Probably only used for amonth or two a year for commuting but only cost 19.99 !

Trousers are different

Bobbish

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2018
Addingham
www.youtube.com
Thanks for all the answers.
I think I want something like the berghaus But I will check all your answers out.
Trouser where mentioned I use regatta trousers in a bag at a tenner they are great and last a year so I think value for money. And I needed them today it threw it down on way home.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only down side to the berghaus is you have to wash the outer in nikwax as the water proofing does wear off.

cant say i have ever been cold with both layers on and i paid well over 200 quid for mine.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I just use whatever happens to be in our local charity shops at the time. The selection is always great, and at an average of less than a fiver a time, you can't go wrong.

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
imo these days you would get arrested for wearing that in public:rolleyes:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a sneaking feeling one of them wouldn't keep you very warm.

• :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
hqdefault.jpg
Funny that you should say/post that. I was looking for a fancy dress costume for the Xmas jumps class. I reckon that a mankini and a red bauble, should work really well.
that should do,make um jump! :D

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I was passing a mountain warehouse last week and popped in on the off chance :rolleyes:
I picked up a blue waterproof cycling jacket for £14 :cool: original ticket price £69 :confused: it's a proper coat as a posed to a lightweight pack away job.

The following day I was on a 3 hr gentle club rid, it was cold and drizzling for most of it :( but with a base layer & fleece underneath I was warm & dry.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I have a bright green Altura Nightvision jacket and layer up underneath it. It lives up to it's name. Inside phone pocket split, but then I discovered Tenacious Tape :cool: It's a great jacket.

Gaz

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
www.trespass.com/lumi-womens-reflective-jacket
I got this to be seen at night, but got it at £21.99 as they had it priced up wrong.
I also bought their ladies pink waterproof jacket but about 3 years ago which is good, which was also priced up wrong at the time.
Aldi softshell cycling jackets which we got last year at £24:99, plus a few products from go out doors.
It don't have to be expensive to be effective !!!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
www.trespass.com/lumi-womens-reflective-jacket
I got this to be seen at night, but got it at £21.99 as they had it priced up wrong.
I also bought their ladies pink waterproof jacket but about 3 years ago which is good, which was also priced up wrong at the time.
Aldi softshell cycling jackets which we got last year at £24:99, plus a few products from go out doors.
It don't have to be expensive to be effective !!!
I totally agree with this.......for jackets . E.g. My 19.99 lidl waterproof cycling jacket

But cheap, and especially non cycling specific , water proof trousers have been a failure every single time for serous use. It's the seams , they don't cope, wet bum time

Occasional use is fine. Every day use. Nope

And with decathlon doing a really pucker set of biking specific waterproof overtrousers at 25 quid.....why go cheaper

I have a cupboard full of cheapo waterproof trousers that are useless for cycling now. Yet still ok for intended use (walking, hiking, golfing etc)

Drives the other half mad

Related Articles

Advertisers