What jacket do you use

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
I bought a cycling jacket / cagoule made by Columbia years ago fleeced lined water proof and light weight, used it in the winter when I was in the UK, never got cold or wet, used to go out in rain and snow.
Thoroughly would suggest looking at that brand.

Bobbish

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2018
Addingham
www.youtube.com
I ended up buying a waterproof cycling jacket from Aldi and just use a sweatshirt under it.
thanks for all your answers

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
I have 2 Mountain Warehouse yellow cycle jackets. A summer one, which is windproof and sprayed with Fabsil. Also the winter version Mountain Warehouse cycle jacket, waterproof, but I gave it a spray, just in case, worn with either a summer micro or a winter fleece, I tend not to ride in bad weather if I can help it!
I purchased both at different times. Being an NHS employee I get 20% off, even on sale stuff.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I have a nice Goretex jacket with a detachable fleece lining from Marmot. Only issue was it was jet black. I am too tight to replace it with something of the same quality/price so instead bought a Provis reflective vest to go over the top (£35 on Amazon) and a pair of reflective bands for wrists and ankles and I am bone-dry, warm and highly visible!

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
went out yesterday and quite cold. Was going to buy one of those yellow works jackets, but remembered that I had a Buffalo smock that was used for hillwalking some years ago. Tried that today. Very warm, but is not waterproof. Is designed to be worn with nothing underneath, so not sure how suitable it will be. Trouble is it's black so will need to get reflective belt or something. Will see how it goes

mooksy_86

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2018
Macclesfield, UK
I've tried all kinds of waterproof jackets over the years having been a milkman working outside in all weather for a number of years and having done my fair share of miles out on the bike. The fancy pants 'breathable' jackets are all a waste of time in my book and will let water in eventually no matter how expensive they are. My own system is having 2 fully waterproof non-breathable type jackets like this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/road-c-500-waterproof-cycling-jacket-soft-lime-id_8381753.html One with the sleeves cut off that I use in spring and summer and the other one with sleeves in tact I use in autumn and winter. I wear a base layer plus a softshell gilet underneath at colder times of year that I can unzip to vent a bit of heat if needed. If it's bitterly cold I'll also add another layer like a thin jumper as others have mentioned. With this system you never need to worry about getting wet or too hot and sweaty. You might occasionally get wet arms in spring/summer but at that time of year it's warm enough to not be a problem and will dry quickly anyway. Having no sleeves makes a massive difference to how well your body temperature is regulated and means you won't get sweaty, whilst the fully waterproof body means the rest of you (and your underpants... we've all been there!) stay nice and dry. Additional information there from what the OP asked but thought I'd share my approach as it's served me well after a lot of trail and error and money wasted on expensive gear.

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
went out yesterday and quite cold. Was going to buy one of those yellow works jackets, but remembered that I had a Buffalo smock that was used for hillwalking some years ago. Tried that today. Very warm, but is not waterproof. Is designed to be worn with nothing underneath, so not sure how suitable it will be. Trouble is it's black so will need to get reflective belt or something. Will see how it goes
I have a Buffalo Cycle top which I bought about twenty years ago, still in perfect condition, I used to wear it in all winter conditions in the UK, always snug and warm.
In fact I wore it this weekend as it is cold wet and windy over here, about 10C, which is cold for us.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I have a Buffalo Cycle top which I bought about twenty years ago, still in perfect condition, I used to wear it in all winter conditions in the UK, always snug and warm.
In fact I wore it this weekend as it is cold wet and windy over here, about 10C, which is cold for us.
I see they make specific cycling ones. May take a look. I would think they are ideal for e bike

Related Articles

Advertisers