What kit do I need?

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
So for my first go, you are suggesting that I do the front wheel as it is easier.
Is wheel alignment the biggest problem with rear wheels, as I assume the wheel arrives centred/true and when the cogs are put on you have to use a spoke tool to pull it to centre of forks.
Yes, and yes.
My front wheel kit is fitted to an old Raleigh and is perfectly adequate as a winter bike.
My 'best' bike is a lightweight Trek roadbike, narrow carbon forks make it unsuitable for a front wheel kit, hence a Yosepower rear kit.
The rear kit was more troublesome partly because it runs on Shimano 105 components with a 10 speed cassette, and needed a little fettling. Yours should be easier, and may not need any adjustments.

Reactions: davie150

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need a screw on freewheel hub kit and a new sq taper bottom bracket for the V12L type pas, a new bottom bracket is about £10 - £12. If fitting a V12L remove the bottom bracket and get the next size up that gives about 8/9mm spacing.
Depending on what the gap currently measures (looks like 6-7mm) if only a mm or two are needed you could grind a bit off the inside of the LH crank arm to increase the spacing.

My Yose kit had the cst wheel and needed no dishing as it lined up dead center.
The Freewheel may be different ?

Last edited:
Reactions: davie150

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I am 54 years old, 5' 11" and 14st 7lb.
I can propel my bike along at a steady 20mph according to my fitbit app.
I am looking for help with the big hill on the last third of my ride home from work.
You sound pretty fit. You might do better just to fit lower gears (***); if you go electric you'll be paying the weight penalty of motor/battery for all the rest of the ride.

We have the XF07 on our tandem and it really helps on hills. But we are in our 60s and 70s and our typical speed on the flat even with the motor is only 12mph.

(***) That's what I did when I was 54, 5'10" and around 14st and had a biggish hill towards the end of my commute home. But electric wasn't a sensible option at all back then.

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
When I go down to the lowest gears, my legs are going like the clappers and I am barely going forward at all lol.
I already have 3 rings of front and 6 gears on cogbat the back, not sure if I can get any lower hears on it tbh.
I also had a small back spasm the other day and wonder if all the extra exercise in the last few weeks was just too much. The last uphill bit really is tough for me and I was thinking electric would make it more bearable for the muscles

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a standard 135mm width, which the motors are made for. It looks like it has a built in off-set, which is very handy, or is that just the angle of the camera?

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
I don't know
It's a standard 135mm width, which the motors are made for. It looks like it has a built in off-set, which is very handy, or is that just the angle of the camera?
Good to know that the width is ok, don’t know if it is off set tbh I was not looking for that, I suppose it must be for the current cog that is on.