What lights have you got?

Ricky 88

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2018
South east
I've somehow lost my front light, so I'm in the market for a new one/set

Mine was just one of the aldi sets you get, but it was pretty good to see with.

What have you got? I'm wondering whether to get a cheap Amazon one, or something more expensive from a decent brand

paulg22

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 20, 2017
Shipley
I've somehow lost my front light, so I'm in the market for a new one/set

Mine was just one of the aldi sets you get, but it was pretty good to see with.

What have you got? I'm wondering whether to get a cheap Amazon one, or something more expensive from a decent brand
I fitted it well before I fitted the electric kit to my bike, but I went for a hub dynamo and it's the best thing I've ever done to a bike (well, maybe electric kit apart). Suddenly you don't have to think about lights at all - when it gets dark you just press a button on the handlebars. Expensive, but once fitted that's it, no losing them, having them pinched or having to recharge them...

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
well needing to improve my worn front rim , decided on a new wheel , and finding that a dyno hub wheel came half price than a normal wheel - the dyno wheel won --- and suprize number 2 on opening the delivered item , was to find 2 wheels in the box :) , the front & rear lights came from the same outlet but only one of each item :( .

wheels came less than 26 quid and lights around a tenner each .

another thought buy a couple and update your trailer lights ???

Attachments

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm running a Moon Meteor X Pro. Fairly small footprint on the handlebars. Amazing amount of light for the size, especially on highest setting. Battery lasts ok, but I've got the older model and I think they've upgraded runtime and light output on the newer model:

Moon Meteor X Pro

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I use Exposure Tracer lights.
On my back rack I made a pattern with hi Viz bands (the eye is attracted to patterns). The light attached to the rack is a free light I got with a none replaceable) battery that will be binned when it goes done.
The gloves a cheap pair of Portwest building gloves, I also use the artic version in the winter. I buy a size up for the winter ones to allow liner gloves to be worn.

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The gloves a cheap pair of Portwest building gloves, I also use the artic version in the winter. I buy a size up for the winter ones to allow liner gloves to be worn.
Thanks for mentioning Portwest, which led me to buy their full grain leather insulated driver's gloves - my plan is to waterproof them using the same proofing wax I bought for my leather jacket. They can't be as bad as the useless so advertised "Waterproof" gloves I tried last winter, which weren't. The great thing about leather is that it can be shrunk by boiling, it can then stretch in use to suit. If they turn out to be unsuitable for cycling, they'll be used for winter gardening. At £8.10 a pair, it's a reasonable gamble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0283_04.JPG
DSC_0284_02.JPG

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I very much like my wired in light . No batteries to forget about charging. The beam doesn't look hexagonal in real life.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0286_01.JPG
DSC_0287_03.JPG

i got a salute from everyone going to town and back but its still not powerful enough it just dont throw the light far enough for the speed im going esp with no street lights down the canal path :rolleyes:

DSC_0289_03.JPG
DSC_0290_03.JPG
:p

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
but its still not powerful enough it just dont throw the light far enough for the speed im going esp with no street lights down the canal path :rolleyes:
That's one of the reasons why I might add a second light of the same, but pointed further along the road. When going slower, I need everything lit immediately in front, and at higher speeds, I need light thrown further out. It'd save having to tilt and dip the light while cycling.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I've ordered the light posted above while it's cheap, will post a photo of the result after it has arrived and been soldered on.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Those Portwest leather gloves arrived - very dry leather, which has completely absorbed three thick applications of leather waterproofing wax so far over 3 days. I expect they'll be windproof, at the very least - waterproofing is ongoing. They should resist light rain... I've been stuffing the wax into the seams. They feel quite supple now. Thinsulate is supposed to retain it's heat insulation properties when wet. If not, I'll cut it out and use BMW silk liner gloves, or use them for winter gardening.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Those Portwest leather gloves arrived - very dry leather, which has completely absorbed three thick applications of leather waterproofing wax so far over 3 days. I expect they'll be windproof, at the very least - waterproofing is ongoing. They should resist light rain... I've been stuffing the wax into the seams. They feel quite supple now. Thinsulate is supposed to retain it's heat insulation properties when wet. If not, I'll cut it out and use BMW silk liner gloves, or use them for winter gardening.
These are ready to greet drivers and the elements