what long sleeved thermals/base layers are you brave comuters using

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
to icy for me to use any ebikes. as side roads not grittedf

but normally wear long sleeved primark mens thermal vest when weather is cold cost about £5

my size not in stock so ordered of ebay 2 for £7 yet to arrive 0.45 tog

looked in m&s thermal vests £15-£22.50 the dearest having a mix of 30% merino wool tog 0.65

wondered if its worth getting the dear one as weather is horrendous at the mo or any other base layer recomendations

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I wear Decathlon brand hiking stuff:

T-shirt
Long sleeved T-shirt
Thermal outer

Then over that either a windbreaker if it isn't raining or a Decathlon city cycling jacket if it is.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As an under layer, I've been using these, Very thin so doesn't bulk up when multilayering.
http://www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-heatgen-long-sleeve-vests/p/p22468805?image=SD_03_T14_9410_T0_X_EC_90&color=GREY&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect
Apart from that it's hiking/walking gear as others have said.

Personally, I think anyone over 40 wearing lycra should be charged with causing a public offense.
Agree on all counts. Climbing gear tends to be expensive but worth it. Licra can look dodgy on most but bib tights keep you incredibly warm in winter and can be worn under anything.
My view is that as long as I am warm and comfortable I don't care what anyone else thinks ..

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Today I wore a thin fleece zip up designed to clip into a ski jacket.

Then a Lidl workman’s waterproof padded jacket.

Then a Fluro Aldi cycling waterproof jacket over that

And aldi winter cycling gloves with silk inners (not Aldi !)

And Altura attack 360 overbrousers

And two neck buffs. On for neck and one for face/bald bonce under a bern peak commuter helmet

Bullet proof !

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A very ordinary cotton vest, a very ordinary office cotton shirt. A very inexpensive Decathlon down bodywarmer (that is mostly for keeping me warm in the office). And a snow jacket - which I bought early last year. Quiksilver have started dropping their prices and some are now about 30% off. I waited, and waited, and paid about £50 for one that listed at something over £150. It is, simply, fantastic. Elasticated cuffs which really stop the wind or rain travelling up my arms. Loads of pockets. A good fit around my neck. The material is 15K Dryflight - very windproof.

http://www.quiksilver.co.uk/mens-ski-jackets/

I decided to get one before even seriously thinking about cycling - simply because wind and rain seem almost continuous in this neck of the woods. Highly recommended to me by a friend - including the advice to delay buying.

The only real mistake is that I would have liked a brighter colour/design, especially on the bike.

Altura overtrousers - quite light but they do protect well. And my previously-posted and highly rated neoprene wellies from Aldi. SealSkinz gloves - all season - which were pretty inexpensive and are adequate but not fantastically warm.

Edit to say: I need to buy some sort of balaclava and some long johns. Will be looking out for suitable as the weather warms up and prices come down - I hope.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Mountain Warehouse Adreneline jacket, thick Berghaus fleece, Tenn 5k cycling overtrousers, balaclava, fleece balaclava, aldi winter gloves over silk liner gloves, overshoes, merino winter socks

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
The mens merino-mix thermals are very good and although not 100% like Icebreaker and other brands, I've found them just as warm in winter and they tumble dry so are cheaper and very practical.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wear a Safanic brushed thin base layer and a slightly thicker Safanic brushed mid layer, on top of that I have a Dimex fleecy top jacket.
Tenn wind/water resistant mtb trousers over thermal base layer ( 50% cotton/50% poly).
Silk base gloves and socks under outer layer and neoprene overshoes with Shimano mtb footwear.
All of the above kept me from getting cold for a 27 mile snow forest and trail run yesterday.
3mm neoprene BBB over shoes better then my Sealskin one.
Head wear is a Buff and a beanie under snow board helmet with the ear pieces, topped off with Bolle Rush eye wear.

Last edited:

PeterCo

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2015
Aldi cycling clothes for me too. Third winter now. Cheap....wash well....reasonably long lasting.....so far...

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
If you want merino thermals. Which i swear by as i aweat in synthetics. Then please look at uk based EDZ merino. Great customer service too.

• Agree
Reactions: awol

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
My commute in low temperatures is based on many thin layers, decent waterproofs and really good gloves/shoe covers. I used to do a lot of winter mountaineering, extremities and circulation are really important. You don't want your core to get too warm or it will sweat

I use (over my normal clothes) a PlanetX Roubaix jacket, then Decathlon windproof fleece jacket and PlanetX 365 waterproof jacket / Decathlon waterproof walking trousers. Hands are PlanetX "Crab" gloves - awesome but my thumbs do get chilled after 40 mins or so when its well below zero. Feet have PlanetX waterproof neoprene shoe covers - again cheap and awesome, even over normal shoes (though they do leak in a downpour). Helmet is a Bern thin shell, again super cheap - this time from Evans

Like others I dress underneath for work - though when its really cold chunky cords are nice