What motor have I got ?

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I have been upgrading my Oxygen to a swx02 350w motor and a slightly more powerful 20A controller.
So got it all finished on Friday and think I maybe have gotten the wrong motor as it doesn't climb any better than my 250w Dapu. So from the photos I ordered a code 12 swx02 but as you can see in the 2nd photo taken on my bike it looks like a code 8 if my interpretation is correct. It is certainly alot faster on the flat still giving power at 25 mph but on hills it's poor.
Have I got this right ??

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, definitely a code 8 398rpm 30 mph. It won't be very efficient when hill-climbing and it'll take max current more of the time, so keep an eye on your controller temperature. It's going to give your battery a harder time too. For ultimate climbing a code 15 is most efficient, but you only get 15 mph on the flat. A code 13 is a nice compromise.

Motors don't make a massive difference to power. If you'd gone up to 48v with your old motor, I think you would have got what you were hoping for.

It would be interesting to rebuild that motor into a 20" wheel. Your bike would look a bit like a chopper, but it would climb like a goat. They used to do that sort of thing on Endless-sphere.
You can see the look here:

Last edited:

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
vfr400 thanks very much you have just described my day. out for 30 odd miles, 28 mph and the controller is still giving me 200w on the LCD, then i went to a big hill on the way home, poor climbing on anything but level 5, when i got to the top I couldn,t touch the controller it was so hot. When I got home my 20Ah battery was on its last legs, it will be on eBay next week :) .
Like the small rear wheel bike though :)