what shoes to buy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Clarks have sales quite often. One has just finished. I use Clarks quite a bit because even the regular fitting is quite wide and fits me well. I used to like Ecco after several very comfortable shoes that lasted for ages, but their fittings seem to have bot much narrower around the toes over the last couple of years.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Footwear with Vibram soles have lasted the longest. They're cheaper in sales of course, at all good mountain equipment shops, and Sportsdirect... but I'd avoid Karrimor - acquisition by Sportsdirect has ruined them. The deep treads of Vibram soles work well enough for my cycling.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Footwear with Vibram soles have lasted the longest.
Be careful with Vibram soles. They seem to have gone the same way as so many 'brands', and while they still make some excellent soles, they also make many cheaper ones that have very poor grip in the wet. Probably doesn't matter as cycling shoes, but not good for hill walking/mountains.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Be careful with Vibram soles. They seem to have gone the same way as so many 'brands', and while they still make some excellent soles, they also make many cheaper ones that have very poor grip in the wet. Probably doesn't matter as cycling shoes, but not good for hill walking/mountains.
Some shoe manufacturers may have sole design input for their soles, and perhaps that's where Merrell screw up? Very slippy Vibrams on all Merrell shoes and boots I've ever tried. I can't recall Vibrams on any other manufacturer's shoes being slippy, but I haven't bought any for years because they have lasted so long. Lately I've been buying Nike for general use, who's soles don't last long at all.

One pair of Vibram Salomon walking boot soles rotted after a decade, but can be reshod with new Vibrams at Outdoor World or someone they know. My resoling experiences have been bad - you lose your sole when you least expect it. Falls off. Very embarassing when it happens in public, when your boots continue but your sole doesn't.

Last edited: