What size? Where from?

Geoff2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2014
I am looking to buy two bikes, and I am not sure of what sizes. I am 5' 10" with short legs, and my wife is 5' 2" and is no Amazon warrior!

I have been looking for a while and I would like a Bosch crank drive 26" or 28" wheels, one step thro' and one not step thro'.

Obviously I need to ride a bike to see if it's the right size. I live in Worcestershire, I know about Onbike and have had a look there, but their prices are a bit high for me. I was hoping to spend about £3000 for two bikes. Am I asking to much?

So are there any other dealers within reasonable reach? Any special offers?

I need to sort this before March.

Geoff

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I would suggest you might find this difficult. EBC (distributer) have some offers on Bosch bikes but the frame sizes left. The AVE TH-7 (48cm, 28" wheels) which is on offer at £1499 would probably be okay for you but is a step-through. This is with the smaller 300wh battery. However this would be too big for your wife. There were some AVE's with 46cm frame but there are none left, except what dealers have in stock.

There are always bargains around but you will need a bit of luck to get two bikes at that price. It is possible though. The KTM Macina Force is a good buy at £1699 with 400wh battery. We could do both for £3k but I do think the Ave would be too big for her. She wants a 46cm frame at most.

Good luck.
Dave

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
I would suggest you might find this difficult. EBC (distributer) have some offers on Bosch bikes but the frame sizes left. The AVE TH-7 (48cm, 28" wheels) which is on offer at £1499 would probably be okay for you but is a step-through. This is with the smaller 300wh battery. However this would be too big for your wife. There were some AVE's with 46cm frame but there are none left, except what dealers have in stock.

There are always bargains around but you will need a bit of luck to get two bikes at that price. It is possible though. The KTM Macina Force is a good buy at £1699 with 400wh battery. We could do both for £3k but I do think the Ave would be too big for her. She wants a 46cm frame at most.

Thanks Dave, yes, as you say, the 48cm wouild probably be to big for my wife, pity you are so far away, I could get her to try for size.
Encouraging what you say about budget, I will keep trying, the KTM Macina Force is, ahem! quite modernistic in styling, maybe I should have mentioned I am 71 years young, more sit and beg style maybe :)

I have no objection to step throughs for me and they are essential for my wife. I am well able to swing my leg over the bar though! I note the Ave is hub motor, we two of those and have decided on crank drive.

Anyway, I will keep looking, will travel for the right deal!

Geoff

Good luck.
Dave

C

Cyclezee

Hi Geoff2,

I would have sugested a pair Ansmann bikes for quite a bit less money, A FC1 Plus with 44cm stepthru frame would be fine for your wife, but, unfortunately the FT15 with diamond frame is a bit on the large side, the smallest is 53cm. There is also the FT11 with 46 or 50cm frame.

To see what I am talking about, please take a look on our website here http://www.cyclezee.com/ansmann-e-bikes--pedelecs.html

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks John, M.K. is doable from Bromsgrove so I might nip down the m/way and have a look.

Dave, thanks for your advice, you are to far for a visit I am afraid.
Geoff

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Good luck.
Dave

A pair of Raleigh Captuses would do the job.

They are £1,750 each - £3,500 for two.

It then comes down to how much you can screw out of the dealer for a pair.

No doubt there will be a few shillings to be had, you might get it down to £3,250 or so.

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=198

C

Cyclezee

Thanks John, M.K. is doable from Bromsgrove so I might nip down the m/way and have a look.
Hi Geoff,
Let me know when you want to come and I will have a couple of bikes ready for you to test ride.
The change from £3000 for pair of Ansmanns would leave quite a chunk of cash to go on a spending spree and Milton Keynes shopping centre;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
Rob, the bumpf on the Raliegh bikes says 300wh battery but it doesn't say how many volts or what the wattage of the motor is?

Geoff

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob, the bumpf on the Raliegh bikes says 300wh battery but it doesn't say how many volts or what the wattage of the motor is?

Geoff
All non-S class Bosch motors are 250w/36v.

The Captus has the cooking Active line, which is all you will get for anything close to your budget.

The 'saving' is on the the smaller 300wh battery, compared to 400wh which you would get if you paid £2K+ for a bike.

In Raleigh terms, that's a Motus.

The smaller battery will give you a range of between 20 to 30 miles, depending on all the usual variables - headwind, hills, how much grunt you put in.

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
OK Rob, I did find the Volts etc eventually. Hmm, lots to think about, hub vs crank etc. I won't reopen the posts on that subject!

Geoff

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Geoff,the latest Kudos Rapide and Sonata would make an ideal 'his n hers' matched pair of bikes,the BPM hub drive has superior hill climbing ability to any Bosch crank drive. Next week we will be supplying the first pair to the London Electric Bike Company,priced at £2790.00 for the pair,spy shots and spec are available elsewhere on the forum. Alternatively a KTM Bosch Fun bike at £1899.00 plus Kudos Tempo(designed for a smaller rider)at £895.00 ,£2794.00 the pair,would be an interesting comparison.
Oxford to Hampton Wick is not a long trip.
Good luck with your search,often the journey is as good fun as the arrival!!!
KudosDave

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks Kudos Dave, that pair is very interesting, the spec. is right the price is right. Where can I see them? I live in Worcestershire.

Geoff

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Thanks Kudos Dave, that pair is very interesting, the spec. is right the price is right. Where can I see them? I live in Worcestershire.

Geoff
London Electric Bike Company,25 High Street,Hampton Wick....www.londonelectricbike.com....they have 30 -40 e-bikes in stock. Sorry but that is the only dealer in the UK that has that much stock of Kudos plus KTM.
Alternatively,you need to make your mind up based upon spec and we will do a mail order sale from Kudos Cycles.
regards
KudosDave

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you manage a run to deepest Surrey, you could have a look at 50 Cycles, just down the road from LEBC.

Their Kalkhoff prices have eased a bit of late.

A Pro Connect for £1,600 for you and a Sahel on clearance at £1,895 for the wife would make a good pair.

'Your' bike has an 11ah battery and is something of an ebike classic - you shouldn't go far wrong.

The Sahel is a 20" compact with a 15ah battery.

The compacts are surprisingly good to ride, and less intimidating than a big wheel bike - you''d probably like it as well.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/launch-offers/pro_connect_impulse_9.html

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/clearance/sahel_compact_8g_black.html

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
If you manage a run to deepest Surrey, you could have a look at 50 Cycles, just down the road from LEBC.

Their Kalkhoff prices have eased a bit of late.

A Pro Connect for £1,600 for you and a Sahel on clearance at £1,895 for the wife would make a good pair.

'Your' bike has an 11ah battery and is something of an ebike classic - you shouldn't go far wrong.

The Sahel is a 20" compact with a 15ah battery.

The compacts are surprisingly good to ride, and less intimidating than a big wheel bike - you''d probably like it as well.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/launch-offers/pro_connect_impulse_9.html

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-
bikes/clearance/sahel_compact_8g_black.html
Thanks again Rob, they have HQ in Loughborough not to far from me. I like the trapedoize frame rather than the Compact but it's all about what fits.

Geoff