What would you fit?

Bazippy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2017
Sheffield
So Im writing this in need of help, this kind of technical talk boggles my mind so i cant get my head around what I might need.
The bike -
Voodoo Marassa Hybrid
700c wheels
3 speed front
8 speed rear
Hydraulic discs
I have a 10 mile commute containing one huge climb in both directions and several more subtle climbs. I need a bit of help to maintain a higher average speed to do the whole 10 miles in a shorter time then it would take me at present.
I initially ordered a Urbanx - basically because i know it would work with my bike and i dont have to consider the gears etcetc. However i realise this device will be a waste of time. So although i dont understand all the technical-talk and remember model numbers etcetc I can fit almost anything to anything (dyslexic so find it hard to figure out all the codes,sizes all that kind of stuff).
I've a bit of engineering and my old man builds motorbikes so we can sort anything in that respect. Finally my budget is tops of £500, id rather not go to £500 so that is the ceiling.

Bazippy

Jul 18, 2017
Sheffield
The huge climb Is 10% average peaking at 15% then on to 20% as well. If i can flatten that a bit id be happy.

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you sure it's 20%? That's pretty steep. Does it have a sign to indicate that?

D

Deleted member 4366

Google is completely unreliable wrt gradients. It shows me 30% on one route that runs along a river bank. On another that I know to be 30%, it shows it as 10%.

Bazippy

Jul 18, 2017
Sheffield
Cycling weekly says it climbs to 15% then ramps up at the end. So looks to be the correct 20% ish. Either way it's steep and puts me off the commute.

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
Cycling weekly says it climbs to 15% then ramps up at the end. So looks to be the correct 20% ish. Either way it's steep and puts me off the commute.
I have two hills by me that read 20% on Strava. I think they are as well because they're not even comfortable to walk up.
My hub motor on 5 makes them doable, but I'm pretty sure it can't be helping they're longevity.
I'm still unsure whether that steep is best, pushing, riding, or what. If I have a good fast cadence the hub gets me up but it's still a workout and it uses more than the next four miles of battery!