What's a good concentrated chain cleaner like Simple Green?

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
I'll be buying a Parker chain cleaning tool and wanted to use Simple Green concentrate but I'm finding out it isn't available over here. Well, it is but it's very expensive.

Any biodegradable alternative that I could dilute with water? Are those citrus cleaners any good?

Many thanks.
edit: I just came across something called Rhino Goo! MTB Concentrate. It looks like it might do the job. Anybody use it?

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I have been using Green oil sold by chainReaction for 12 months now and recommend it, I clean my chain every 5-6 weeks, degreaser in a chain cleaner, rinse, WD, dry then lube. Whether or not that is the correct way to clean a chain is a personal choice, it works for me and I used to replace my chain every 6 months, however with this method and lube I have had the same HG40 for 12 months.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i just use a rag and wd40 to clean it re lube it and done tho i tend to do this every week.

my chain must be 2 years old now and shows 0.25 on the tool i have.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
I have been using Green oil sold by chainReaction for 12 months now and recommend it, I clean my chain every 5-6 weeks, degreaser in a chain cleaner, rinse, WD, dry then lube. Whether or not that is the correct way to clean a chain is a personal choice, it works for me and I used to replace my chain every 6 months, however with this method and lube I have had the same HG40 for 12 months.
Yes, there are a million different cleaning products and methods out there. I guess I need to just pick one and go from there.
Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
i just use a rag and wd40 to clean it re lube it and done tho i tend to do this every week.

my chain must be 2 years old now and shows 0.25 on the tool i have.
A two year old chain is pretty old right? You must be doing something right.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i take good care of my bike and always keep it as clean as possible but not out in the rain much.

i even got 80 quid for my old 11spd sram cassette
on ebay never said it was off a ebike bike with a dongle and not a problem.

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I use an aldi chain bath thingy - wilko spray degreaser and wilko "WD40" cheap enough compared with branded stuff. That green oil is very economical too, about 30ml(100ml bottle) used for a full year easy. Before this lube I used TF2, not the best but I got it cheap so I used it up. Green oil is all weather.

Reactions: Point Reyes