Whats bike should i try

Tourangang

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2009
im new to pedelecs, and as an ex racing/Audax cyclist, i want something that does not look too geeeky?

I was swaying towards the cytronix, but they wont accept cycle to work vouchers.

I have a budget of around £1500, i want it for a hilly 11 mile cycle to work mainly (not in town)

The only one i can find that looks semi ok is the wisper 905 sport.

thanks

John

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
There's no easy answer to this. The E-motion Sport Deluxe looks very good but it's expensive at £1800 and it's got the Panasonic system which may not suit you. I'd try it though if I was looking around (assuming On Bike take the voucher).

Tourangang

Dec 18, 2009
have you got a link anywhere so i can have a look
cheers

john

Tourangang

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks, they look pretty good, anyone got any knowledge of them, and how do they compare for quality vs say a wisper.

thanks

John

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I would try these: wisper 905SE & 906xc tourer. E motion. Kalkhoff

these cover more or less the different ends of what is available, but you may be better suited to a Cytronex.....only you can tell:)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Panasonic based bikes may be the ideal ones apart from the cadence restriction, power assist only happens at low cadences and a regular cyclist would probably not find it a good ride because of that.
Cytronex is a good system let down by the small battery not being great for a long distance if you have a few hills. Because of these issues I'm sticking with Wisper and testing a 906 Alpino which although heavy will get me to work reasonably reliably every working day.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I would also look at the ezee range,now being sold with 14ah batteries if you can still de restrict the torq it is a good looking fast bike.onbike are the main agents.

Last edited:

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
but they wont accept cycle to work vouchers.
Tourangang, the vouchers you are talking about are used by a completely unnecessary middle-man company that is creaming money off the official Cycle To Work scheme. It will be cheaper, carry less risk, and just as easy for your company to buy the bike direct and put a salary sacrifice into their Accounts software for you.

I do however advise caution when dealing with the Cycle to Work scheme. Although I haven't heard of anything going wrong, if you leave your employer or they hit financial difficulty or they just plain change their mind, then the bike remains theirs even after you have paid for it. In fact it is illegal for them to promise in any way to sell you the bike after you have paid the full cost of the bike.

Tourangang

Dec 18, 2009
Im not planning on leaving my company - i have been thier for 25years, and if our company goes belly up - we all will - the lights will go out... Electricity Generation part of EDF Energy.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I wouldn't be put off the Panasonic system by the cadence aspect. I've adapted to it in a couple of weeks and now it feels perfectly normal.

The beauty of it on my Kalkhoff is first that it is a properly integrated and developed system rather than an enthusiast item and secondly that the bike with power off rides just like a normal bike - albeit heavier, of course.

I've just been to central London and back on mine, 11 miles each way over Putney Hill and the battery shows approximately 60% charge remaining. I've never had occasion to use the 1.3 times power multiple and find the .5 setting right for most normal going with many stretches on pedal power only, hence the good range.

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
I would go & look at poweredbicycles in the midlands theyve got a few new models in & take the cyclescheme vouchers its diffently worth the trip.

Phil [OnBike]

Pedelecer
May 21, 2009
Hi Tourangang,

You're welcome to come and try our range of bikes; no obligation - we have the E-motion range on demo along with the Wisper range and eZee range. You can try them all in one place, one after the other and we have some hills and country lanes near by.
The E-motions are fantastic quality and it sounds like a Sport or Cross Deluxe may be up your street?
I'm not sure where you live, but we get people from all over the UK visit us.

We are fine with Cycle Scheme vouchers and deal with them all the time; we even run our own Cycle Scheme eBike2work.com.

Anyhow, if you fancy coming in just to try some bikes or have any questions, then feel free to drop me an e-mail phil@onbike.co.uk

Cheers

Tourangang

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks Phil

I would have come up this hols but i see your shut till after jan 5th!

I am off work till then but go back to work on the 5th. so need to fit something in during that period.

John