what's this hole for ? ( Bosch classic motor)

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
having recently purchased a bosch classic equipped bike ( not classic +) I rode it yesterday for the first time in the rain and whilst cleaning her up noticed a hole on the front of the motor close to where it joins the frame . I'm presuming there should be a blanking grommet covering this as it's directly in line with the road crud trajectory from the front wheel. can anyone confirm this and tell me why there is a hole in the casing in this position ? Many thanks
Bill
Pic below

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It's for alternative wiring options, I have some duct tape over mine, and the same at the back, the plastic under cover does fill up with dirt more quickly otherwise.

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
that was quick ! ..many thanks . I've taped mine over already. Out of interest is it a standard thing to remove the undercover every so often in case of dirt ingress?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will not hurt to have a look ;)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I've seen photos where the cover is ram jammed full of debris, to the point it has even made it into the motor housing. there are no seals on the bottom bracket, so dirt can enter the motor in the extreme.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Keep meaning to take mine off but isn't it a bit tricky to remove and replace?
The hardest bit is prising the front chainring off the Bosch square section bit, not that bad really, you just need a crank puller and lock ring tool. oh and some torx bits.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The hardest bit is prising the front chainring off the Bosch square section bit, not that bad really, you just need a crank puller and lock ring tool. oh and some torx bits.
I have all them and have had the chain ring off already. .. I suppose it's undo all the little bolts and pull it apart. .
It's due a wheels off strip and clean so will have another look at it whist we have this no biking weather. [emoji729]