'whaTTfornow' new? Electric bike

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
This could be more useful as a mid drive conversion kit, rather than a 'new' bike, or am I missing something?

Mid motor powers a jumbo belt wheel, apparently mounting under the brake disc, big enough to clear the caliper.
Quotes "160Nm", would the belt & spindly belt wheel take that kind of torque, or pretzel it?

Another unique, proprietary battery/seattube for no reason.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
nice!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This could be more useful as a mid drive conversion kit, rather than a 'new' bike, or am I missing something?

Mid motor powers a jumbo belt wheel, apparently mounting under the brake disc, big enough to clear the caliper.
Quotes "160Nm", would the belt & spindly belt wheel take that kind of torque, or pretzel it?

It's the same sort of arangement as Neal's Swizzbee. It has a lot of advantages over a conventional crank-motor, as the power doesn't go through the chain and gears. The advantages over a hub-motor are more centralised mass and less unsprung mass in the wheel, so better handling and suspension.

Many high-powered motorbikes use belt drives that go for 100,000 miles:

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Must say... I do like the idea of a kit version.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The rear wheel hub must use a diff hub of some sort, my Swizzbee uses the now defunct Sram dual hub 3 x 9.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Somebody more clever than me will probably work out his to use a BBS02 to make this work. Keep standard crank set up, stick the crank drive in the frame upside down, replace the toothed chainring with a belt chainring,, make a wide belt holder (as in picture, attach belt holder (washing machine belt drive parts?) to brake disk bolt holes, 3d plastic / metal printers would be handy.

D

Deleted member 33385

...the good news is, it's not patentable - belt drives are all over the freaking place, so if someone created a reliable and robust kit using something like a BBSXXX plus mass produced parts (maybe even existing parts), it could be sold without patent royalty fees. I'd buy one!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Somebody more clever than me will probably work out his to use a BBS02 to make this work. Keep standard crank set up, stick the crank drive in the frame upside down, replace the toothed chainring with a belt chainring,, make a wide belt holder (as in picture, attach belt holder (washing machine belt drive parts?) to brake disk bolt holes, 3d plastic / metal printers would be handy.
Sorry, you need to think about that one! Wouldn't just a motor be better? There are several ebike systems that already do it. If you want to make your own, use a hub-motor with a belt drive.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Would this work.
Buy a BBS02 chainring adapter and belt chainring as below.
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/chainrings-sprockets-c69/gates-centre-track-belt-drive-chainring-p17557or the back, buy a 130mm wide hub, make an adapter to fit the above adapter and belt chainring to the back hub disk bolt holes. This would push the disk brake rotor out, put washers in-between the hub and frame to fit into a 135mn rear frame spacing. The disk brake rotor might have to have washers on the bolts to align properly on a mtb disk brake frame / calipers.
The BBS02 drive side would be on the non drive crank side, the only trouble using the linked chainring is it might be too big and hit legs.
The motor might have to be raised up from the BB shell nstead of testing on the frame BB internal triangle.
Mad idea but sometimes they are the best.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

The BBS02 drive side would be on the non drive crank side, the only trouble using the linked chainring is it might be too big and hit legs.

...a thin hub motor might do?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The swizzbee doesn't use a hub motor, the drive is a brushed motor of about 90mm with with a single side axle/drive shaft.
One could likely try and fabricate a drive using a front 100mm hub, the issue will be the rear hub unit. It will need to be a dual drive type unit.

D

Deleted member 33385

Last edited:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
What about this?
Use a rear hub motor, on the drive side add a single speed cog, on the non drive side add a belt drive using adapter / disk bolts.
Use a crank with a single chainring, run the chain over the chainring and the motor drive side cog.
Connect motor using brackets, one end would be wide to slide over a bottom bracket inner exterior diameter each side, the other end would have a smaller hole for the axle to go through, the bottom bracket locking goes over the bracket tightening them in place.
If you need to raise the motor then make a sloping bracket (slopes highest point against the seat tube). The bracket would be attached with the bottle cage bolts.
I think too much for my own good sometimes.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What about this?
Use a rear hub motor, on the drive side add a single speed cog, on the non drive side add a belt drive using adapter / disk bolts.
Use a crank with a double chainring, use inner chainring to connect to motor hub drive side using a chain.
Connect motor using brackets, one end would be wide to slide over a bracket each side, the other end would have a smaller hole for the axle to go through, the bottom bracket locking goes over the bracket tightening them in place.
If you need to raise the motor then make a sloping bracket (slopes highest point against the seat tube). The bracket would be attached with the bottle cage bolts.
I think too much for my own good sometimes.
Before crank-drive kits were available, I made my own. Instead of running the drive to the left crank, I could have run it to the rear hub left side with an Izip adapter. That's quite a lot of complication to get a handling a tiny bit improved. I cut down a steel hub to get the thread for the freewheel, all bolted to the disc side of the front motor. A rear motor would be too wide and turns the wrong way.

BTW, the main idea of that conversion was to test whether the same motor would be more efficient driving the crank and using the gears to keep it spinning at optimum speed. There was no measurable difference. That dispelled the myth that crank-drives are more efficient per se. I also did some tests with other arrangements that gave the same result.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I forgot about this one. tom stanton does a lot of interesting stuff - worth folling if you're interested in that sort of thing:

As an aside, after watching that , google took me to this. can anyone see the glaring error in his build:

D

Deleted member 33385

I'm shocked that he managed to get it working upside down. It probably won't be working long... he could have changed where the oil hits the inside of the cylinder for a longer motor life I suppose. Bit hard to see.

D

Deleted member 33385

Before crank-drive kits were available, I made my own. Instead of running the drive to the left crank, I could have run it to the rear hub left side with an Izip adapter. That's quite a lot of complication to get a handling a tiny bit improved. I cut down a steel hub to get the thread for the freewheel, all bolted to the disc side of the front motor. A rear motor would be too wide and turns the wrong way.
View attachment 40897

View attachment 40898

BTW, the main idea of that conversion was to test whether the same motor would be more efficient driving the crank and using the gears to keep it spinning at optimum speed. There was no measurable difference. That dispelled the myth that crank-drives are more efficient per se. I also did some tests with other arrangements that gave the same result.

That's a great experiment! Have you still got all the parts? Almost a friction drive kit, that is, bar a few bits?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's a great experiment! Have you still got all the parts?
Yes. I'm not sure why. I've since put a GNG motor in that bike with a Nuvinci rear hub, which I also used for some experiments. I'm moving shortly, so most of my ebike stuff is going to have to go. I have enough stuff to literally fill an average garage.

D

Deleted member 33385

I'm moving shortly, so most of my ebike stuff is going to have to go. I have enough stuff to literally fill an average garage.
DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY! I've always regretted discarding anything I've worked on. Hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited: