Wheel security?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Hi,

I already have a Kryptonite u lock for my nike, and was looking at getting Kryptonite wheelnutz. Looking on Amazon, someone showed that despite using a u lock, their front wheel was still stolen

There are a lot more thefts right now too, given people see this lock down as a free for all.. Does anyone have any recommendations? I already lock my bike using a Kryptonite fuhgeddaboutit lock, but that only locks the frame. You need power tools to get through that!

Advise would be appreciated

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
The cheap security skewers with 5-sided keys will stop the casual thief.
There are better versions with individually keyed locking bits (at much more cost) but anyone that *really* wants your wheels will get them whatever you do.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
The cheap security skewers with 5-sided keys will stop the casual thief.
There are better versions with individually keyed locking bits (at much more cost) but anyone that *really* wants your wheels will get them whatever you do.
What are they? I appreciate that someone could get my bike with say an angle grinder too, but I'd like to secure myself as much as possible

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi,

I already have a Kryptonite u lock for my nike, and was looking at getting Kryptonite wheelnutz. Looking on Amazon, someone showed that despite using a u lock, their front wheel was still stolen

There are a lot more thefts right now too, given people see this lock down as a free for all.. Does anyone have any recommendations? I already lock my bike using a Kryptonite fuhgeddaboutit lock, but that only locks the frame. You need power tools to get through that!

Advise would be appreciated
I myself use two quality "Chain type" Bike locks, one through the front wheel and frame, and one through the rear wheel and frame.
Plus a vibration sensitive alarm, I have one that looks like a rear light and is under the saddle. It is switched on and off via pocket remote.
A second one up front is my next option when I find one I like.
Nothing is 100%, but you need to make it difficult to remove any safety equipment without sounding off an alarm.
Get it fully insured as well....Best of luck.
Andy

Reactions: anonymous

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
I’ve got a u lock that came with a cable too. Can just about get it through the two wheels and onto the u lock so that’s as good as it will probably get. If they can get through the cable then they’re more than an opportunist so will probably get it whatever.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I myself use two quality "Chain type" Bike locks, one through the front wheel and frame, and one through the rear wheel and frame.
Plus a vibration sensitive alarm, I have one that looks like a rear light and is under the saddle. It is switched on and off via pocket remote.
A second one up front is my next option when I find one I like.
Nothing is 100%, but you need to make it difficult to remove any safety equipment without sounding off an alarm.
Get it fully insured as well....Best of luck.
Andy
Do you have any recommendations regarding the alarm? Regarding the chains, I'm pretty happy with the products made by Kryptonite so I guess I could do that

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Do you have any recommendations regarding the alarm? Regarding the chains, I'm pretty happy with the products made by Kryptonite so I guess I could do that
I bought a cheapo from ebay, that is still working , and a I aslo found a source of prgrammable remote controls also on ebay, that allowed me to then have two remotes.
The reason being, I like having two sets of bike keys, plus a front door key, with both being complete, but I only take one set with me of course.
Only having a single remote control did not allow that!
The alarm, seems to last about 1 month on one charge (Via a USB Cable), and the battery can be (in my case!) checked from the house!
See here:-
They are very variable in price on ebay for no logical reason...
regards
Andy

Reactions: anonymous

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
What are they? I appreciate that someone could get my bike with say an angle grinder too, but I'd like to secure myself as much as possible
Ebay is full of them! Cheap and cheerful, but a lot more secure than a quick-release lever.

The Pitlock type pictured above is better quality and since it is more expensive it is less likely for thieves to be carrying the correct key to undo it.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Ebay is full of them! Cheap and cheerful, but a lot more secure than a quick-release lever.

The Pitlock type pictured above is better quality and since it is more expensive it is less likely for thieves to be carrying the correct key to undo it.
Like this?

I'm guessing they won't impact on actually using the bike day to day?