Wheels. Rims and spokes to be precise.

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
The motor is by the bottom bracket not in the back wheel. Bike shop i spoke to said the rim/spokes maybe different. He said he would call in to look but I would have to order the rim and spokes if they are. Anyone know save him calling round?
Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Was this meant to be posted onto an already running thread to give context? If not, can you give details of what the bike is, and what problem you are trying to resolve?

Reactions: PC2017
D

Deleted member 33385

The motor is by the bottom bracket not in the back wheel. Bike shop i spoke to said the rim/spokes maybe different. He said he would call in to look but I would have to order the rim and spokes if they are. Anyone know save him calling round?
Thanks

Your post is anything but precise! Is the issue that people can't be bothered to type anything descriptive into phones, because it takes so long?

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: PC2017

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
The bike mechanic thinks that because its an ebike the rear wheel rim and particularly the spokes would be different as in stronger. The bike is Kalkhof hence the motor is not in the rear wheel so I have text him to say so. The reply seems to be suggesting that it would be a standard rim and spokes. Is that correct? PS the rim is just about worn out so needs replacing. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ebikes using stronger spoke is wrong, esp hub motor wheels. Spoke break easier.
With mid drive one needs nothing more then that which is supplied, for my hub motor wheel builds I use ordinary rims of about £10 - £15 and 14g spokes any thicker and they break more often because they aren't flexible enough.
Your bloke wants more money out of you because he thinks he knows more, many of us use basic rims and 14g spokes.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
"Your bloke wants more money out of you because he thinks he knows more" nowt like a knee Jerk statement. He wasn't sure and needed to see the bike first AND I would need to buy the parts. How would he make more money? I told him it was mid drive and as I stated above "The reply seems to be suggesting that it would be a standard rim and spokes."
Thanks for your knee jerk reply

D

Deleted member 33385

With mid drive one needs nothing more then that which is supplied, for my hub motor wheel builds I use ordinary rims of about £10 - £15 and 14g spokes any thicker and they break more often because they aren't flexible enough.
Your bloke wants more money out of you because he thinks he knows more, many of us use basic rims and 14g spokes.

That's an interesting point about spoke flex nealh. My rim lines are starting to look like dotted lines... Would these wheels be wrecked by my Bafang BBS01b? The guy at Whites said that he doesn't recommend them for ebikes, wants me to buy mad heavy wheels with 36 steel spokes of unknown spoke width...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

"Your bloke wants more money out of you because he thinks he knows more" nowt like a knee Jerk statement. He wasn't sure and needed to see the bike first AND I would need to buy the parts. How would he make more money? I told him it was mid drive and as I stated above "The reply seems to be suggesting that it would be a standard rim and spokes."
Thanks for your knee jerk reply

Well, the world being the way it is, and people being how they are, it's a reasonable assumption that some of the tradesmen you encounter somewhere advising on something, may or may try to diddle you. In any case, you've got some good information from nealh, which you can consider or discount completely.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A mid drive bike only knackers the drive gear faster so wheel spec has little or no impact on the strength. Even with my hub builds I use the same rims the bikes come with or use generic cheap hubs of about £10- £15 each. Unless you are doing silly jumping or very fast ultra downhill stuff then you don't need super strong rims, for generic rims the wheel build strength is only as good as the builder. If the build is crap the wheel will be crap no matter whether the rim is £10 or £110.

Last edited:
Reactions: pentiumofborg

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Hi Nealh
Do you have a preferred vendor for rims, spokes & standard hubs. Prices seem to be all over the place on line. Looking for standard 700 X 19 rim & QR freewheel hub, nothing fancy.

Thanks
Steve

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A lot of the China wheel kits use silly wide rims of about 24/25mm and 13g 2.4mm spokes some are ok, some like the front and rear rim to match so a rebuild in a matching one to the front or rear is common. All my rims are 19mm and I buy on email from Bankruptbikeparts, my last still not finished a year or so on I wanted Blue rims to try and go with the Blue/Green tyres. Bankrupt sell Ryde Z 2000 rims n various colours at times in 36 hol
The most common spoke is a 14g 2mm spoke these are less stiff so give a little more give flex for a motored hub wheel, everyone using hubs kits should give wheel building ago and learn the how to do so, it sounds tricky but is quite easy to get on with using online tutorials. If you are calm and patient then the feeling is quite chilled and you don't have to rush it. I quite happily lace a rim with the box on in the evening when feeling like a sit down and a cuppa, then leave the truing till the next day.

If the truing doesn't go well simply back all the spokes off and begin again changing how much you tighten the spokes, once you get quite good at it a rim can take as little as 45 - 60 mins to do.

D

Deleted member 33385

Bankruptparts are brilliant! I got a Dahon aluminium seatpost from them for £19.99 with free 24 hour courier delivery- only one other shop had the same at £59.99 plus £14.99 with delivery taking however long it takes from Germany these days. A rare awkward size that almost nobody else had in stock, typical Dahon.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi Nealh
Do you have a preferred vendor for rims, spokes & standard hubs. Prices seem to be all over the place on line. Looking for standard 700 X 19 rim & QR freewheel hub, nothing fancy.

Thanks
Steve
I use Bankruptbikeparts on ebay for rims , I usually buy a pair if I buy coloured.
This a single also look in their store/shop for others.
700c RIGIDA X-STAR RIM 622 – 19 HYBRID CROSS 36 SPOKE DUAL WALL BLACK | eBay
For spokes I use ryan builds wheels/ryna for spokes, he has an ebay presence but I buy direct off the website.

Hubs I have never needed to buy really as I use spares I have from old stripped down bikes but again one would have thought BBP would sell them.

Tbh though if you just want a std 700 x 19 QR wheel buy a complete one , on ebay for about £38 front or £44 for rear cassette spline.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
I use Bankruptbikeparts on ebay for rims , I usually buy a pair if I buy coloured.
This a single also look in their store/shop for others.
700c RIGIDA X-STAR RIM 622 – 19 HYBRID CROSS 36 SPOKE DUAL WALL BLACK | eBay
For spokes I use ryan builds wheels/ryna for spokes, he has an ebay presence but I buy direct off the website.

Hubs I have never needed to buy really as I use spares I have from old stripped down bikes but again one would have thought BBP would sell them.

Tbh though if you just want a std 700 x 19 QR wheel buy a complete one , on ebay for about £38 front or £44 for rear cassette spline.
Thanks for the advice guy's. Ready built double wall wheels with a QR freewheel hub seem to be thin on the ground at present. Would like to stick with freewheel as the current 14 -34 megarange 7 speed works well with the stock 44t Bafang chainring, otherwise would have considered a cassette hub. To be honest I just fancied building a wheel, haven't built one since the early 70's. Totally agree BBP are brilliant if they have what you need. Recently converted one of my bikes to front disc, top quality wheel and forks from BBP for a bargain £60

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I have a used 26" 7 speed QR rim brake wheel I am looking to get rid of, Shimano Deore XT hub (only 7 speed will fit) with Mavic X717 rim

The wheel was hand built, still in good condition, a little bit of rust on the axle, the quick release is not the original, a more modern Shimano Deore one.

PM me if interested.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Turns out he didn't think he was upto the job. He only does it part time. Told me to take it to a more competent mechanic!!
Either he can lace and true a std unpowered rim/wheel set or he can't, seems he's uncertain because it's an ebike and doesn't want to take the risk.

Any decent LBS should be able to lace and true a new rim with 14g spokes. Just take the wheel in to them if it needs replacing, the reason they all run for cover is because you mention the word ebike and then the £££ signs roll in their eyes and then they say you need this or that because it will be stronger.
It's all BS and no different to any other unpowered wheel, just don't mention the word electric bike and all will be fine.

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
Either he can lace and true a std unpowered rim/wheel set or he can't, seems he's uncertain because it's an ebike and doesn't want to take the risk.

Any decent LBS should be able to lace and true a new rim with 14g spokes. Just take the wheel in to them if it needs replacing, the reason they all run for cover is because you mention the word ebike and then the £££ signs roll in their eyes and then they say you need this or that because it will be stronger.
It's all BS and no different to any other unpowered wheel, just don't mention the word electric bike and all will be fine.
Oh god yet another knee jerk comment. If he was trying to rip me off he would have taken on the job. I will take it into town to an actual LBS. He has been doing repairs on bikes for years but not professionally. I am rural lots of people have sidelines. The shop I will take it to is 8 miles away, he is mobile so I thought I would give him an option. Help him out during covid. I haven't got a car and the LBS is a so so slow at getting things done. Could be there for weeks. I have loads of firewood to collect don't like to leave it where other scroungers/foragers like myself might find it!!
Thanks all. I love each and everyone of you. And not in that way!

J.B.

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
Lincolnshire
I have a used 26" 7 speed QR rim brake wheel I am looking to get rid of, Shimano Deore XT hub (only 7 speed will fit) with Mavic X717 rim

The wheel was hand built, still in good condition, a little bit of rust on the axle, the quick release is not the original, a more modern Shimano Deore one.

PM me if interested.
No thanks I am hub gears only on all bikes.
Thanks for the offer.