When to replace tyre?

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
Hit a kerb too hard on my commute today, and when checking the tyre, it's got a definite lump, and after dismantling it, looks like the outer layer of casing has started to come apart at the bead.

Is this time to replace the tyre?

FYI it's done 3000 miles, but as you can see plenty of tread remaining, and so far, no punctures.

Thanks,

Andy

Sent from my Power_3 using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not run it and you got ur moneys worth out of it better safe than sorry ;)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and kangooroo

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
That looks like the start of a side wall failure which will lead to a blow out puncture that will wreck your inner tube and due to the nature of how quickly your tyre will deflate be potentially very dangerous due to your almost instant loss of control.

Time for a new tyre me thinks. At least at this stage you get to re use your inner tube!

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
Ok thanks all, I'll get a new tyre ordered. Definitely looks too dodgy to ride on.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
There is a distinct possibility the rim is damaged too. If there is any deformation it may crack with time and repeated flexing.

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
Haven't got an alternate tyre. Didn't want to have to drive my car to work [emoji23]

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Surprised too you're asking, I wouldn't be riding even down to the shops until a new tyre goes on that. 3k miles is good going, I run energisers, so same as marathons 3mm puncture belt, normally replace at about 3k miles, purely to maintain tread thickness for puncture protection. Use to get them from sjs cycles for 10.99 each