Where and what to buy.???

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Hi
(ref: - my recent thread battery options)
Well I may well be looking to fit a bottle/kettle type battery to my top tube, if this materialises from what I have found most seem to be around 360mm...ish long x 95mm....ish diameter which should be fine.
So which are the best makes to go for and which to steer clear of, and generally speaking where would be the best places to purchase from, I'm looking to go 36v ~ 15a/h to give me a decent range.

I notice Aliexpress advertise a lot of just about everything you need, but should I be weary here, some state free shipping via TNT but assume there will probably be import charges etc on top of advertised prices. ???
Any advice here, general or otherwise, would be most appreciated. :cool:

Many thank's in advance.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You want brand name cells, Samsung, Panasonic or LG other than that they are all much of a muchness...

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
You want brand name cells, Samsung, Panasonic or LG other than that they are all much of a muchness...
O.K. thanks for that, they are all popular recognised names so will keep my eye out for them.
I don't suppose you have any experience of the Aliexpress site, I don't doubt for a minute that there's a problem buying through them, but was wondering about any hidden charges like import duties, vat etc, etc.
Like I said previously a lot of their stuff is advertised free shipping to uk via TNT, so not sure if there is any more to pay.???

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No I don't buy batteries from China, I prefer paying more and having a European consumer protection guarantee.

Other stuff yes and if it is under 100€ there is no import duty in France.

D

Deleted member 4366

O.K. thanks for that, they are all popular recognised names so will keep my eye out for them.
I don't suppose you have any experience of the Aliexpress site, I don't doubt for a minute that there's a problem buying through them, but was wondering about any hidden charges like import duties, vat etc, etc.
Like I said previously a lot of their stuff is advertised free shipping to uk via TNT, so not sure if there is any more to pay.???
It's a bit of a lottery now. I've bought loads of batteries from Aliexpress and other Chinese suppliers, but now I would advise against it unless you want something that can't be bought in the UK. You'll get caught for duty and handling charge every time with a battery, which brings the price close to that of UK suppliers.

As a first step, check out Insat International, who have a good range of batteries with whatever cells you want, so you can choose highpower, long range, low weight or whatever you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Insat-Li-NMC-eBike-Battery-Electric-Bike-10-15Ah-24V-36V-48V-e-bike-battery-/331485310419?var=&hash=item4d2e106dd3:m:m8c7FUsp_phLtXj3YKUmfLQ

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
O.K. guys thanks for the heads up, I will stay clear of the Chinese stuff and shop closer to home. :cool: