Where can I get a battery for Giant Lafree

alanterrill

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2006
I need to get a new battery for a Giant Lafree Twist. My wife hit a stone in the road yesterday and the battery leapt out, smashing the case, (the third time this has happened, but the first it has done damage), so I need a complete unit, or an empty case, it's not just a matter of replacing the cells. I've seen mention on here that the battery and charger are made by panasonic, but has anyone found a source of these batteries, other than paying £250 through a Giant dealer?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid that's the only source for the batteries Alan, a real pity about that case. I'm currrently buying a £99 battery for a Powacycle and will swap the cells into one of my existing Twist batteries to slash the cost and increase it from 6.5 Ah to 8 Ah.

Is that case totally unrepairable? I had a similar accident with one of my batteries in the first week of ownership but managed to patch it up together again by both "welding" the plastic with a soldering iron and using an outdoor grade of duct tape. It's been in service now for nearly four years and is the best of my two.

Although the battery is Panasonic for their design, that case is exclusive to the Giant, the other bikes using the Panasonic setup in Japan using different cases. Only the Panasonic cells inside are available from that source, and they're very expensive anyway.

Last edited:

alanterrill

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2006
Not a complete write-off -I've managed to glue it back together again -the electrical parts were unscathed and I've taken to putting a stretchy band round it now in case it jumps out again. I was hoping to get a third batery as a spare, so I could send one of the two older ones away to have new cells fitted, as mentioned in the recent A to B article. However, you seem to have found a cheaper way that doesn't involve sending the battery back -where did you get your Powacycle battery from and which model is it? I've just looked at the Powacycle site, but there's no mention of spare parts. I'd certainly like to try this, as both of our batteries are now giving reduced range -about 12 miles on yesterday's trip (of which about a third is downhill with the motors off). I'm quite capable of soldering, so this sounds great.
Thanks,
Alan

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
It sounds like the batteries are falling out a lot. What solutions have people come up with for keeping them in?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
John, I've never had that trouble, I dropped mine off off the carrier due to a bungee breaking. Alan's is the only case I've ever heard of, and I think there might be a fault on that bike's lock latching.

It is easy to overshoot the latch when putting the battery in, so always give it a jiggle to make sure the latch clicks in.

alanterrill

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks flecc! That fitting info is superb. Pretty much as I'd have thought, but it gives me confidence to know that someone's already tried it and it's possible. No delivery charge from powacycle until 19th Dec either. Great stuff.
Full marks for speed and relevance.
Alan

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
No delivery charge from powacycle until 19th Dec either
Not sure if its my computer, but the powacycle web site seems to be down a lot, i cant open it again today. Anyone getting the same?

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Try this link direct to their spares page,you can return to the home page from there:
Electric Pedal Bikes from PowaCycle - E-Bike Products[/QUOTE]

Thanks Flec, I can open it now, this morning it was down... as i tried another computer and couldnt open it, a few days ago i tried it and no joy.
Has I wanted to look at a second electric bike, which would have to be around half the price of what ive paid, i was looking at the IZIP Curries or a powercycle bike, I could use that one while my daughter uses the Quando.. I figured the Curries is better for hills, as previously said, but as acid lead, whereas, say the Salisbury as NiMH battery, I see both sites have free delivery too untill christmas.
What would you choose from a bugdet bike?
Btw will have to wait till friday for my Quando 2, and all that waiting in an all!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Powacycle modern NiMh bikes like the Salisbury and Windsor models are very low powered, and no good at all for your hilly area Gaynor.

The Currie Izip would be far the better choice for coping with hills, nearer to the Quando's ability with that.

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
The Currie Izip would be far the better choice for coping with hills, nearer to the Quando's ability with that.
I was thinking more the Currie, as i saw good things said about its hill climbing abilties.
Think for now I will be patient and carry on waiting for the Quando, it is winter, so, maybe spring/summer will be the best time for a second bike. Culd of really done with it this week, ive got blisters on my blisters!!

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I was thinking more the Currie, as i saw good things said about its hill climbing abilties.
Think for now I will be patient and carry on waiting for the Quando, it is winter, so, maybe spring/summer will be the best time for a second bike. Culd of really done with it this week, ive got blisters on my blisters!!
I'm sure by Spring/Summer next year there will be new models on the horizon. We've had several new bikes this year. Who knows what next year will bring !