Help! Where can I get a good ebike battery UK

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Drivers can't deal with a bike going that fast. It's outside their frame of reference, so they're constantly pulling out on you and cutting you up.
Even a legal 25km/h is outside their frame of reference! It's astonishing how often they misjudged my speed overtaking me ahead of a traffic island, or accelerating towards incoming traffic - they'd narrowly miss the traffic island, or swerve around it using the other lane, or they'd screech to a halt ahead of a vehicle going in the opposite direction. Freaking dangerous. It's another reason why I made this thing, hasn't happened since. Now, they wait. And give me loads of space.

Last edited:
Reactions: raydj

raydj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2024
Legal pedal assisted electric bicycles are great for shopping, commuting, excercise, touring and things like that. A bit more speed, say up to about 22 mph, is handy if you have a commute of more than 10 miles, and people manage that without getting caught. It ceases to be fun when they go much faster than that. The chances of getting caught accelerate upwards, so you're always looking over your shoulder. You never know if you've been grassed up by some guy in a car that sees you speeding along every day. Drivers can't deal with a bike going that fast. It's outside their frame of reference, so they're constantly pulling out on you and cutting you up. You spend all your time either driving defensively or having accidents. The tyres and brakes can't cope with the speed either unless you build something special. If you want anything more than a teaked 250w bicycle, a moped or small motorbike is the pragmatic solution.

Please don't ask me how I know these things. I just do. God must have put the info into my head by God power or a miracle or something. Maybe if you have a good imagination, you might think of other ways I got it.
I see, honestly might just get a cheaper/longer range 48V ~ 20A battery and just operate it legally, it has a vesc based controller so I can just set it to the appropriate limits as need be. I'll keep the purchase as the cyc options are the only kits that fit my wide chainstay frame, bafang, tongsheng etc motors don't clear the chainstay and I'd end up with an out of whack chainline.

Yes I could just switch frames or use my older one and get a slightly fairly kit, but I like this bike with the dual suspension, makes rides more comfortable for my ride style.

Thanks for the advice mate
If you ride within the same actual power range as top end Bosch etc then there is no need for the battery spec you asked about. If you run at 48V, a large standard off the shelf generic battery is likely to be fine e.g. 21700 4S 17.5 or 19.2Ah with Samsung or Panadonic cells. PSPPOWER would have such a thing. @saneagle has mentioned a 48V supplier a few times recently.

You could get away with a smaller and lighter battery if top notch cells are used, which would mount more easily and make a lighter bike so nicer ride.

50A continuous does not match the responsible riding you describe, and you will stand out like a sore thumb to any observant enforcer, and will not have a leg to stand on in the event of confiscation.
And sorry if I seemed like a bit of a knob with the reply to this message, had a think about it last night and you make a fair point

raydj

Jan 9, 2024
Even a legal 25km/h is outside their frame of reference! It's astonishing how often they misjudged my speed overtaking me ahead of a traffic island, or accelerating towards incoming traffic - they'd narrowly miss the traffic island, or swerve around it using the other lane, or they'd screech to a halt ahead of a vehicle going in the opposite direction. Freaking dangerous. It's another reason why I made this thing, hasn't happened since. Now, they wait. And give me loads of space.

Hmm interesting

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I see, honestly might just get a cheaper/longer range 48V ~ 20A battery and just operate it legally, it has a vesc based controller so I can just set it to the appropriate limits as need be.
Not really. Buying different battery or changing controller settings won't make your bike legal.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you get a bbs hd with 30a controller it leaves me for dust with throttle as my bosch bike only has 20a.

tho using it like that means the range is 17-20 miles.

the seat tube is now cracked or looks like it but that motor has never been serviced makes a right noise yet keeps on going and cheap parts as not much that can go wrong.

anything past 3kw bike parts are not up to it esp frames that fkn bafang has snapped every saddle rail he has put on it even one with ti.

both shocks are knackerd tho and chain will fall off if you hit a bump or off road because of the chain line on that frame but it still keeps going, he does have 3 batts tho.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some people don't just get it !!!!!
Unless the drive motor is marked and sold as 250w then it isn't simply road legal, no matter what setting or battery one uses it won't change the motor rating legality.

5000w is a high powered motor bike motor and has no place mounted onto a basic push bike frame.

One is best to have a 250w rated drive motor and then over rate it to gain extra power, as long as the motor is rated 250w then the bike is road legal as long as the max assist speed in no more then 17mph/27kmh.

raydj

Jan 9, 2024
Some people don't just get it !!!!!
Unless the drive motor is marked and sold as 250w then it isn't simply road legal, no matter what setting or battery one uses it won't change the motor rating legality.

5000w is a high powered motor bike motor and has no place mounted onto a basic push bike frame.

One is best to have a 250w rated drive motor and then over rate it to gain extra power, as long as the motor is rated 250w then the bike is road legal as long as the max assist speed in no more then 17mph/27kmh.
It's laughable that it's advertised as 5000W, the kit is prone to having its magnets fly out at those watts. Look, there are hella souped up bbshd's that with simple controller changes can more reliably than the cyc hit 3kW no problems at all. In the spirit of the law I think I'm doing alright, I don't have many options for this frame beyond cyc's offerings and their other options. The photon is not really a proven design, and the stealth is not much less for something less reliable (outrunner motor = less effective heat dissipation != longer lasting motor).

not directed to Nealh
Anyways, I have no obligation to explain anything really, I only came to this forum to ask about batteries and some people are inundating me with information I'm already aware of

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

raydj

Jan 9, 2024

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes but that will be mega bucks for a batt :p

death is free

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Good luck with whatever you do, and please don't take offence at the various contributors mentioning the legal aspects.

This forum is essentially for UK legal pedelecs, rather than electric two wheeled transport more generally. Keeping that focus is important, but sometimes difficult to do sufficiently gently to keep everyone happy.