Where do we all go on our pedelecs

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Edinburgh is built on seven hills, some of them incredibly steep. Before my recell went wrong I used to go up even the steepest, just for the views. I did about 5 miles a day to and from work, as well as jaunts round the shops and trips to take pictures of Edinburgh when the battery was working.

Until I get a new bike sorted, I am using my bike without the battery attached -only for the couple of miles along the cyce path to work. Makes me glad I bought a lightweight model, though. If it wasnt for asthma on the hills I would probably be ready for a regular bike after cycling a heavy electric bike around without power, but I am going for a Kalkoff before the summer kicks off and I need a bike more.

Talking of cycle paths, the safer routes to school scheme doesnt seem to cover making them passable in winter, though they have small gritting ploughs here for pavements. I've been forced back onto the main roads to get to work a lot lately, as the cycle path has been like an ice rink. The worst part is the icy ridges that form after days and days of snow and water melting and refreezing which throw the bike all over the place if you attempt it. Still get a few nutters who race along the path though, including the one that slid into me after falling off himself that made me decide to give up on the cycle paths for now. (That and the snow balls aimed at cyclists going through one housing scheme).

I had a hire car over xmas and didnt really want to keep it when it was time to hand it back, despite it all. Hunting for expensive parking and walking or taking a bus instead of cycling door to door - no contest really.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Edinburgh is built on seven hills, some of them incredibly steep. Before my recell went wrong I used to go up even the steepest, just for the views. I did about 5 miles a day to and from work, as well as jaunts round the shops and trips to take pictures of Edinburgh when the battery was working.

Until I get a new bike sorted, I am using my bike without the battery attached -only for the couple of miles along the cyce path to work. Makes me glad I bought a lightweight model, though. If it wasnt for asthma on the hills I would probably be ready for a regular bike after cycling a heavy electric bike around without power, but I am going for a Kalkoff before the summer kicks off and I need a bike more.

Talking of cycle paths, the safer routes to school scheme doesnt seem to cover making them passable in winter, though they have small gritting ploughs here for pavements. I've been forced back onto the main roads to get to work a lot lately, as the cycle path has been like an ice rink. The worst part is the icy ridges that form after days and days of snow and water melting and refreezing which throw the bike all over the place if you attempt it. Still get a few nutters who race along the path though, including the one that slid into me after falling off himself that made me decide to give up on the cycle paths for now. (That and the snow balls aimed at cyclists going through one housing scheme).

I had a hire car over xmas and didnt really want to keep it when it was time to hand it back, despite it all. Hunting for expensive parking and walking or taking a bus instead of cycling door to door - no contest really.
Hi Branwen,
I have lived in both cities and at least in Auld Reekie you've got a cheap bus service if your legs or batteries fail you.

BW
musicbooks

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
I cycle to the British Legion and back on Wednesdays, great thing is if I crash whilst a little tipsy I won't kill anyone.:D

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Grumpy1 posted:
I cycle to the British Legion and back on Wednesdays, great thing is if I crash whilst a little tipsy I won't kill anyone.

Many moons ago (pre-electric) I used to cycle the three miles to town and back (homeward - usually drunk). However the cycle was up hill, so slow and very little chance of serious injury. I was actually stopped one night by a Police car, luckily they weren't looking for me :cool:
However, one night I did an excellent impersonation of an inverted turtle in a water filled drainage ditch when I miss judged the bend. Didn't feel a thing at the time (eight pints can do that), I was also crying with laughter at being such a plonker and missing the bend :D

oldseal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2009
Falling off whilst intoxicated doesn't hurt so much......untill the morning!

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Well actually it's not Bob, in the eyes of the law.
I was driving behind a drunken cyclist in Pitlochry on Saturday evening. He was weaving down both sides of the road for half a mile. The thing that should have been illegal was the view of his 65 year old butt cleavage. :eek:

P

pete500

You do know that it is illegal to be in charge of a bicycle whilst under the influence?!?!:eek:

Is it?? I did some internet research on this when I was bored one day and all I could find was an old law stating it was illegal to cycle "furiously" when drunk.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Quote:
"Section 30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991, provides the offence of cycling on a road or public place whilst under the influence of drink or drugs. It states:
30(1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

NOTES

(i) The evidence of the extent to which a person is affected must be measured by means other than the provision of a specimen of breath, blood or urine, as there is no power to require such a specimen in these circumstances. However, if such a specimen was offered, it is probable that the evidence obtained by analysis of the specimen would be admissible.
(ii) In Scotland a constable may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence.
(iii) In England and Wales a constable may only arrest without warrant in accordance with the powers of arrest set out in section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. In such an instance, that power might be exercised where a satisfactory address has not been furnished, or the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that arrest is necessary to prevent such a person causing physical injury to himself or any other person (see also other conditions in s24 of PACE).
(iv) The absence of a specific power of arrest in England and Wales affects the ability of the police to present any form of medical evidence of the accused's condition.
(v) There is no offence of 'being in charge' of a cycle under the Road Traffic Acts, but such conduct may well be an offence of drunk in charge of a carriage under section 12 of the Licensing Act 1872. A bicycle or tricycle is a carriage for the purpose of that section."

Colin

P

pete500

Quote:
"Section 30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991, provides the offence of cycling on a road or public place whilst under the influence of drink or drugs. It states:
30(1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.
So this would seem to imply that if you're wobbling around all over the place and stink of booze, the police can nick you but they can't test you and all the caveats mean that if you've got a half-decent lawyer you'll get off. Has anyone ever been successfully convicted of this offence?

I'm interested as I regularly ride home from the pub after a few pints and have done for years - I've never had any trouble from the police.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
So this would seem to imply that if you're wobbling around all over the place and stink of booze, the police can nick you but they can't test you and all the caveats mean that if you've got a half-decent lawyer you'll get off. Has anyone ever been successfully convicted of this offence?

I'm interested as I regularly ride home from the pub after a few pints and have done for years - I've never had any trouble from the police.
I have ridden back from the pub after a couple of pints on numerous occasions, but I never use the roads, sticking to bridleways and cycle paths instead. I used to believe that drink/drive laws only applied on the public highways, but apparently anywhere accessible to the public counts as a public highway.

However, as the 'roads' I like using are impassable by car, and I've never seen a copper on a bike, I reckon the chances of me ever getting stopped are so close to zero that I have nothing to worry about. Still.. it's nice to know that if I were ever stopped, I can refuse to be breathalised etc.

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.

Ah --but do you 'wobble'? :eek:

P

pete500

However, as the 'roads' I like using are impassable by car, and I've never seen a copper on a bike, I reckon the chances of me ever getting stopped are so close to zero that I have nothing to worry about.
I ride in London, which might seem more risky, but I imagine the police have got better things to do here than try to arrest cyclists who may or may not be breaking the law - not good for their conviction rate.

Having said that I have seen them stopping people cycling down the wrong side of Holland Park Avenue and policing traffic lights following a Daily Mail 'lycra lout' campaign.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
"Lycra lout" ROFLMAO! :D