Where to find cheap frame and front suspension forks?

BudgetBodger

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 26, 2020
Hi all,
The inevitable has happened when you put a battery on a seat post only rear rack, along with a generously weighted rider.... I have full on snapped my cheap Chinese full suspension frame.
So, I have a 26in voilamart 250w front wheel, Shimano alfine 8 rear IHG, Clarks M2 hydraulics front and back and a 36v battery.
Any thoughts on where to procure either a hardtail mtb frame and forks, or cargo frame and forks, under £250? I know I'm out on a limb here, but it is my only means of transport for a 15 mile commute (Inc off road) and money is tight after the ronna decimated my industry...
Thanks in advance!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I get all mine from Ebay. There are always a fair range of them on there to choose from. Somebody gave me a Cyclotricity Stealth 250w that had been run over by a car. All the electrics were fine, so I bought a frame for about £40 and swapped everything over. I had to buy a few other bits, but I ended up with a much better bike than the Cyclotricity for around £100. I sold it to LeighPing, who still has it I think.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Hi all,
The inevitable has happened when you put a battery on a seat post only rear rack, along with a generously weighted rider.... I have full on snapped my cheap Chinese full suspension frame.
So, I have a 26in voilamart 250w front wheel, Shimano alfine 8 rear IHG, Clarks M2 hydraulics front and back and a 36v battery.
Any thoughts on where to procure either a hardtail mtb frame and forks, or cargo frame and forks, under £250? I know I'm out on a limb here, but it is my only means of transport for a 15 mile commute (Inc off road) and money is tight after the ronna decimated my industry...
Thanks in advance!
If you don't mind a bit of tinkering, go to a big council-run tip and look in their metal recycling.

You'll be amazed (or deeply depressed) by the bikes that people throw away, some of them completely functional. You might have to chuck a fiver at one of the staff for their beer fund...

If you re not quite that desperate, check out freecycle or local charity bike-fix projects...

BudgetBodger

May 26, 2020
Bankrupt looks great when they have the parts in stock! I have also found the stealth bomber frames, which you can put the battery inside, but I suspect they will get me more attention from the old bill than I want if I put something bigger than 250w on it.
Thanks all for the ideas! Unfortunately in London no chance of a dump find

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Bankrupt looks great when they have the parts in stock! I have also found the stealth bomber frames, which you can put the battery inside, but I suspect they will get me more attention from the old bill than I want if I put something bigger than 250w on it.
Thanks all for the ideas! Unfortunately in London no chance of a dump find
What was wrong with Ebay? You'd have one by now if you had looked when I said. Same as I used here:

Last edited:

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
You could try this man.
He had some frames with eccentric bottom brackets, if you have hub gears, but his stock seems to have gone down. He has an EBay link at the top as well. I'm sure there has to be a market for an ebike frame with all the fittings required, so that people can build their own. If I had the motivation of Brian Rose at London Real, I would probably have a go at it, but I think I've left it a bit late!

Reactions: Andy-of-Leicester

BudgetBodger

May 26, 2020
What was wrong with Ebay? You'd have one by now if you had looked when I said. Same as I used here:
Unfortunately I didn't see anything that fitted the bill close enough to London for pick up. The carrera Vulcan would be a winner if it wasn't too far away

BudgetBodger

May 26, 2020
You could try this man.
He had some frames with eccentric bottom brackets, if you have hub gears, but his stock seems to have gone down. He has an EBay link at the top as well. I'm sure there has to be a market for an ebike frame with all the fittings required, so that people can build their own. If I had the motivation of Brian Rose at London Real, I would probably have a go at it, but I think I've left it a bit late!
The cube Delhi looks perfect if a touch more than I was intending to pay. Will keep going through his eBay shop, otherwise will drop him an email.

Andy-of-Leicester

Just Joined
May 22, 2018
Ebay is fine if the sender can post the frame but if you want a full suspension frame with room in the triangle then I take a look at an Apollo Paradox ( ex Halfords I believe ? ). Not the lady version obviously.
I spent almost a month trawling Ebay and gumtree before finding it . Once you've painted out the terrible graphics on the bike it looks fine.

As for Violamart kits ... anything with an sw900 display will die in the rain and the seller will hide behind a 90 day warranty !

Attachments