Which adapter for 160->180 mm disc?

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
I have this bike with Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc brakes: https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/electric/e-fitness/quick-neo-eq/quick-neo-eq

I would like to switch the rear+front discs to 180 mm (currently 160 mm).

Been trying to figure out which adapter to buy, but it's a jungle. The guy at my local bike shop had no idea and just said "it's something new, no clue".

I did try this one for the front after checking with Bike-Discount DE, but the one they said would fit didn't: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-8170A-001-ENG.pdf

Front caliper (~8 cm wide):
shimano_mt200_front.jpg

Rear caliper (~4,5 cm wide):
shimano_mt200_rear.jpg

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: DroidOne

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The front looks to be a std post to post fitting at 74mm spacing , the rear is a flat road/gravel bike spacing so should be 43mm.
The rear leave as is and just upgrade the front as the front should be doing the most braking if one is braking correctly, brake bias is often 70/30 to the front as the front has most effect on stopping power.

Both adapters will be Post to Post type.
For front to 180mm rotor one needs a 180mm adapter.
For Rear to 180mm one often needs a 203mm adapter though one is unlikely to find such a large one for the rear 43mm fitting as flat road rear a max 160mm rotor.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that rear post mount spacing is not standard so doubt you will find any adaptor for it or try 20mm spacers and longer bolts but id just get 2 part rotors as those things look like junk anyway.

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
Great - thanks. Will order.

The front is a std post/isis fitting at 73mm spacing , the rear is road bike spacing so could be 43mm.
The rear leave as is and just upgrade the front as the front should be doing the most braking if one is braking correctly, brake bias is often 70/30 to the front as the front has most effect on stopping power.
OK - thanks! Yes, probably enough to just switch the front one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One may even find with the front mt200 a std post mount to post mount 180mm adapter may not work, the cost is small so no harm trying though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah that one i linked to wont work as not normal size what a pita :rolleyes:

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
Ah, yes, upon closer inspection the SM-MA-F180P / P2 was the one I already tried with, which unfortunately didn't fit (the spacing was the issue...).

Guess I'll have to live with the 160 mm unless I also switch the fork? Pretty sure Cannondale have no 180 mm adapter to offer. Quite annoying when they can't keep to the standard measurements.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just get some decent rotors as all you can do bar change the fork caliper and brake lever

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
just get some decent rotors as all you can do bar change the fork caliper and brake lever

Good idea. Yes, probably the best option all things considered, and not expensive either. I'll try with those and post an update.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 74mm std used on most bikes inc hybrid etc are simply taken from MTB use where they first appeared on heavier bikes, flat mount disc brakes for lighter road/gravel bikes don't need the over sized brakes so the 43mm smaller mount was agreed upon as a std for these bikes and 160mm rotors as the max size they need to stop.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have this bike with Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc brakes: https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/electric/e-fitness/quick-neo-eq/quick-neo-eq

I would like to switch the rear+front discs to 180 mm (currently 160 mm).

Been trying to figure out which adapter to buy, but it's a jungle. The guy at my local bike shop had no idea and just said "it's something new, no clue".

I did try this one for the front after checking with Bike-Discount DE, but the one they said would fit didn't: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-8170A-001-ENG.pdf

Front caliper (~8 cm wide):
View attachment 46584

Rear caliper (~4,5 cm wide):
View attachment 46585
You may be better off by only changing the front brake, as many say that balances a bike better better under heavy braking, and is more accessible.
Some get problems at the rear with unforeseen contact with other parts.
I myself am very happy with the huge braking effect of my standard 160mm disks, but as I turn the disks around, much to the agravation of some members, which keeps them better longer. And they will be 5 years old this year and are still true and working well!
regards and each to his own!
Andy