Which bike under 1500

Yorkielass

Just Joined
May 6, 2019
I am Looking for ebike to get me back to cycling to work. It’s 4km and I have chronic hip and groin issues. Have given up regular bike as can’t manage. It’s mostly flat, with some gradient. Not hills. Am bit shocked at prices of ebikes, last bike manual bike got was 4 years ago and was £300, but looking online I think I’ll need to spend at least £1000, but can’t stretch to more than £1500. Am trying to balance cost, getting locally , follow up maintenance and repairs, and already having pannier, lights, mudguard. My best option appears to be a Gazelle 7 2018 orange HFP. It’s discounted locally at an ebike store for £1200. It’s their entry level model, which makes me weary, but cannot afford the HFM version. Has anyone got this one? Halford’s do a range of ebikes near me but am sceptical about quality there. Not many other ebike stockists near me. There is a Giant store locally too but not sure I can afford them either. Any advice??

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
If you look at the Ebikes Direct site, do a search under hub-driven bikes and start with the cheapest, that will give you an idea of what is available. For a 4 km trip, there are bikes there of decent quality. I prefer the battery in a central position - it keeps the weight in the right place. My wife has one with the battery high up at the back, and it is unwieldy. Juicy bikes, Freego, Emu etc. Have a look. Don't rush to part with your money!

Reactions: Yorkielass

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
Cycle Street in York are a Wisper dealer, the Wisper 705 SE is a nice bike and 1249.00, also a hub motor.

Rutland Cycling are selling the Giant Entour E+1 for 1299, that has a Yamaha mid drive motor, IGH, and enclosed chaincase.

Decathlon have a store in Sheffield, they sell the b’twin elops 920 e step over for 1400, also a nice bike, with a Brose mid drive motor.

The latter two are better than the Wisper because they have a pedal torque sensor rather than the cadence sensor on the Wisper.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy the Torque version of the Wisper and you get both Torque and cadence drive by selecting either from the display menu.

Reactions: Yorkielass

Yorkielass

Just Joined
May 6, 2019
Buy the Torque version of the Wisper and you get both Torque and cadence drive by selecting either from the display menu.
Have read up on both, really not sure which would work best for me, I suspect I need a test ride to see how I respond to it?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Have read up on both, really not sure which would work best for me, I suspect I need a test ride to see how I respond to it?
IMO that is absolutely essential, as is trying several different ones as the "feel" can be so different.
I suspect the first one you try will "impress", but that is not the same thing as knowing that it is the best suited to you.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am Looking for ebike to get me back to cycling to work. It’s 4km and I have chronic hip and groin issues. Have given up regular bike as can’t manage. It’s mostly flat, with some gradient. Not hills. Am bit shocked at prices of ebikes, last bike manual bike got was 4 years ago and was £300, but looking online I think I’ll need to spend at least £1000, but can’t stretch to more than £1500. Am trying to balance cost, getting locally , follow up maintenance and repairs, and already having pannier, lights, mudguard. My best option appears to be a Gazelle 7 2018 orange HFP. It’s discounted locally at an ebike store for £1200. It’s their entry level model, which makes me weary, but cannot afford the HFM version. Has anyone got this one? Halford’s do a range of ebikes near me but am sceptical about quality there. Not many other ebike stockists near me. There is a Giant store locally too but not sure I can afford them either. Any advice??
you have health issue, I would recommend a bike with a throttle.
bikes with torque sensors give you more power if you pedal harder, less if you pedal less and none if the pain stops you pedaling. It's the opposite that you need.
Something like the Santana 3 or the more powerful Santana CD that has enough grunt to take a 12st rider up a 10% hills on throttle without pedaling is more appropriate.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-2018

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I would have a look at the Wisper and Juicy range if I was you, we have a both, they are very capable hub motors and like Woosh have a good reputation on here. All the beat Steve W.....

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I would have a look at the Wisper and Juicy range if I was you, we have a both, they are very capable hub motors and like Woosh have a good reputation on here. All the beat Steve W.....
Given that you are on a budget, ask yourself are you happy with your current bike?
If so , consider having it converted,you will have a bike you like, with what ever you need, I would agree you need a speed sensor type, and not a Torque one.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Also as HR is they are running a bike2work scheme. Saves a fair bit