which bike?

nanny ogg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2014
Hi I own a giant twist pedelec bike but have been ill and now this bike is not enough for the hills of Derbyshire, does anyone have any views on claud butler glide 2 power assist bike , or any other power assist bikes that would get me up the hills.
Before I was ill I used to cycle about 50 miles a week and loved it, need to get back to it after chemo treatment but with help! would love some impartial advice please.
Thanks Nanny Ogg

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The Claude Butler looks like a smaller geared hub, you will need one of the larger diameter ones for increased torque on hills.

Woosh big bear, step through or cross bar,
Any non eco Ezee bike.
Any Tonaro and most crank drives.
The bear and Ezee's are hub drives similar to the Giant, so the motor is in the front or rear wheel and those mentioned are higher torque hubs so climb very well.

I have ridden the Ezee, the power compared to a normal legal ebike is a lot higher :) the bear is meant to be similar according to reports on here.
I own a Tonaro and it can climb just about anything with out pedalling if required but it will do so more slowly than a good hub.

The Tonaro or other crank drives have a motor driving the cranks so the motor can use the gears, people either love or hate them as you need to tap the brake lever to kill the motor and shift gears like normal, the motor will automatically restart with pedalling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

How much do you want to spend? What type of bike do you want - crossbar or stepthrough?

Forget the Claude Butler Glide 2. It won't have enough torque.

nanny ogg

Jul 3, 2014
How much do you want to spend? What type of bike do you want - crossbar or stepthrough?

Forget the Claude Butler Glide 2. It won't have enough torque.
Hi thanks for replying, I have a budget of about £1200 , don't know whether that is a reasonable ammount' could spend a bit more, the bike I need will have a step thru frame , I am about five ft 9 in tall, quite heavy at the moment! Where I live in Derbyshire there are hills to get up before you hit the trails and canals paths so my problem is not being able to pedal fast enough for the pedal assist to help me as the chemo has affected my heart . I love cycling and need some power to get up the hills. you may notice I do waffle on a bit ha ha but thanks for taking the time to help much appreciated.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
You're not far from our Loughborough showroom where we have a selection of hill-devouring electric bikes from Kalkhoff, German market-leader. I'd recommend the 2014 Kalkhoff Agattu or Tasman City - very comfortable, enormous hill-climbing torque, extremely long range too if you go for the 17Ah option. Also very well-equipped with lights, non-rattling mudguards, lock, comfortable handgrips. Quite a few people on this forum own one.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Ah, didn't spot the budget, sorry.
But, we have some cracking used ebikes listed on our site too

http://www.50cycles.com/used-ebikes.html

The Raleigh Dover at £1100 and several Agattus from £575 to £1395 all fit the bill

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Nanny....any BPM motored electric bikes will be best up those hills as others found at our Manifold Trail roadshow,last year,if you are happy to ride a crossbar bike the Kudos Tornado at £1095.00 is within your budget,the Tornado and Typhoon bikes are widely used by Pedelecs members and many reviews are on this forum.
All our BPM motored bikes have this powerful torque motor in the rear,never put a BPM in the front.
Apologies,just read your posting again,at this time don't have a BPM step thru'
Recommend the Ezee bike for power up those hills.
You are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the UK
KudosDave

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi thanks for replying, I have a budget of about £1200 , don't know whether that is a reasonable ammount' could spend a bit more, the bike I need will have a step thru frame , I am about five ft 9 in tall, quite heavy at the moment! Where I live in Derbyshire there are hills to get up before you hit the trails and canals paths so my problem is not being able to pedal fast enough for the pedal assist to help me as the chemo has affected my heart . I love cycling and need some power to get up the hills. you may notice I do waffle on a bit ha ha but thanks for taking the time to help much appreciated.
More than enough budget Nanny Ogg and you'd be very welcome to come and waffle-on at our shop in Buxton, our workshop in New Mills, have a loan of a bike from Parsley Hey on the Tissington Trail, a demo ride from The Bike Tree in Dore or just a chat about your individual needs and how we can adapt our bikes to suit. All our bikes have varying levels of assistance that you can alter as you ride - increase for the hills, reduce or switch-off for the trails.

It would be a pleasure to demo the bikes to you.

nanny ogg

Jul 3, 2014
More than enough budget Nanny Ogg and you'd be very welcome to come and waffle-on at our shop in Buxton, our workshop in New Mills, have a loan of a bike from Parsley Hey on the Tissington Trail, a demo ride from The Bike Tree in Dore or just a chat about your individual needs and how we can adapt our bikes to suit. All our bikes have varying levels of assistance that you can alter as you ride - increase for the hills, reduce or switch-off for the trails.

It would be a pleasure to demo the bikes to you.
Hi sorry I didnt reply to your message but I have actually been to Buxton today and been up and down hills on one of your fabulous bikes.
I have not been on a bike since last october since having 3 operations and 6 sessions of chemo, but your bike came up trumps!!!! I have ordered one today and cant wait for your call to say it's ready to collect, thankyou so much,
Nanny ogg

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Nanny Ogg
That's great news - Sarah at the shop did mention a sale to me that sounds remarkably like you. I wont reveal your name, but you have an interesting nome-de-plume!
I hope your new bike aids your recovery and helps lifts you along the hills around Belper (?). The 16AH batteries arrive at the end of this week and once we are through quite a lot of back-orders we will have your bike with you during the following week.
I'm really pleased you chose a Juicy Bike and I know you will love it!
Thank you very much.