Which bikes to buy - a real nightmare - here are my experiences part 1

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
It has been a few years since our last foray into electric bikes and to be fair a lot has happened since then. New companies have entered the market and battery technology has come along in leaps and bounds. We have been using our standard bikes more and more over the years however age and failing health is taking its toll and even the slightest hill looks like Mount Everest. So we have decided to research this mode of transport again (but will be much more diligent than last time out).

After asking lots of questions and getting bogged down with some controversial answers, not to mention ruffling a few feathers along the way we finally managed to create a shortlist of possible bikes. Before I go into the bikes themselves I should lay out our rationale for choosing these particular types of bikes and hope this will assist other potential e-bikers in helping them make up their mind on what/which to go for.

First of all we considered the type of riding we do and our riding location(s), We don't leap off up mountain trails but mainly poodle along cycle tracks, tow paths or urban trips to town shopping so a full suspension mountain bike would not be required. Then I looked at weight/age and fitness levels to assess the position/type of power/torque needed. Even though we ride the same routes it was obvious from the start that we both needed different bikes as our weights are not the same.(not even close) We made note of reliability and problems mentioned by users on this and various other Bike forums in general then arrived at a rather long “shortlist” Sadly I then had to sort the bikes out by price range and inevitably cross off all the ones we liked as they were too expensive and way above our budget. This left us with a very shortlist of two or three which I attempted to drill down on in detail. Unfortunately this led to an adjustment in both budget and expectations as the bike(s) didn't have everything we wanted for our price point. So back to the drawing board.

There are literally hundreds of e-Bikes around – each manufacturer favouring front, centre or rear motor driven and as expected everyone has their own preference. I decided, based on reviews and comments on the Pedelecs forum, that a centre crank drive motor was the one for me as they delivered higher torque, however my wife being much lighter a hub motor would be suitable. This made one bike a lot easier to buy as their are far more hub models than crank models. So bike weight, range and gears helped to narrow down the list even further. We steered clear of the cheapest brands having been "burnt before" and in my opinion they looked cheap in comparison to the quality brands and decided that better quality secondhand bikes would suffice for our needs. The Nexus hub gear system appealed as it looked easier to operate and could prove more reliable than the derailer type so would suit my wife better. This pretty much sorted one bike out.

As I mentioned earlier batteries have come a long way and output, charging cycles even size as well as technology as made impressive improvements over recent years. At the end of the day owners are really only interested in one thing - range. How far can I go on a single charge of the battery. It gives the manufacturers a real headache as there are too many variables - rider weight, riding style (fast or slow), type of terrain (how many hills) which power setting do you use etc. The likes of Giant don't give a range for these reasons. My rule of thumb answer having read comments on here and elsewhere is to half the claimed range and you won't be far off.

Next I had to decide on the make of motor – there are again many different manufacturers – mainly split into Chinese, European (Bosch Impulse), Japanese (Yamaha or Panasonic). Bosch complicate things even more by producing three types of crank drive – Active, Performance or Speed. I decided in my case that I preferred either Bosch or Yamaha as they appeared more integrated than many of the Chinese models. Now I'm really starting to narrow down the choice. I preferred the Bosch set up as it looked more professionally integrated however the torque on the Bosch Active appeared a little low on power. I therefore eliminated all Bosch Active line motors. The Bosch Performance and Yamaha motors have very similar output but again not straight forward. The Bosch has more flexibility, is fitted by over 50 manufacturers and can be updated by the dealer and has a better LCD display. On the downside it is considerably more expensive. Yamaha is less flexible, the display looks more flimsy, can't be updated and only fitted by one or two manufacturers in Europe but is cheaper.

Eventually I ended up with three or four bikes that suited, so that left me with the task of deciding which one and where I ran into most trouble with my fellow bikers on here. I was surprised to discover how limited bike warranties are in comparison with say a motor car warranty. Also it seems that Bike dealers look after their own customers very well but still could charge labour on any warranty work. Non customers would certainly have trouble with any warranty work and would have to take their place behind customers. It was not clear on whether or not they would get a warranty service. This played a large part of my deliberations as it was clear that any problems would have to be paid for one way or another.

Now the sensible thing to do would be to test ride each one to make sure all your deliberations were valid and you feel comfortable riding it. Now for me that wasn't too practical as all the ones I had shortlisted were either not in stock or located some 100+ miles away. I tried all the ones I thought would be close in ride and style and that would have to do for now.

In the end I decided on the Haibike Trekking RC with Yamaha motor as it was significantly less expensive than the Bosch Performance offerings yet had all the “extras” such as lights, mudguards and a stand that I wanted. The Yamaha on paper has the most torque and several owners commented that the zero cadence came in instantly.

Next was where to buy them. Again I came under the hammer from fellow Pedelec members who shunned the likes of eBay or purchasing from European dealers in favour of "paying full price or close to full price" from local dealers and secure good customer service, so got to thinking that maybe they are right and I would have to up my price budget again.

Then I thought hang on a minute....

1. On these dealer admissions I may have to pay labour on any possible repair work.

2. I don't live near to any of these dealers anyway so any work would incur significant travelling costs

3. In general buying from Germany is considerably cheaper than UK as bikes are the same price numerically however with the current £ v € exchange of around €1.40 - there is a significant difference off the bat. Then I discovered that German retailers are open to "negotiation" and discounts of up to 20% can be had.
So I purchased a secondhand Giant Freedom Twist CS Lite locally and a Haibike Trekking RC from a German dealer and saved a small fortune. Now in my book I can get a whole heap of work done for the money we saved and as a retired aircraft engineer I may be able to do some maintenance work myself. If we are really lucky we may not have any breakdowns and can use the savings on meals out or buy things for the grand children.

How are we working out some weeks after our purchase. Well good and bad. First the bad. The Haibike was packed and sent from Germany however between the carriers (one German and one UK) the package was damaged so badly that the carriers held it at the UK warehouse for "investigation" and finally sent back to Germany. This could have happened had I purchased from a UK dealer so I can't blame the dealer if the carrier drops the package. It is now scheduled to be delivered in early July. See below for part 2

The Giant on the other hand is an absolute cracker. The quality is superb and it shows. The Nexus gears are great, so easy to change whether peddling or not. Without doubt we made the right choice regarding pedalec or hand throttle. Its just great - the more you pedal the more assistance you get. We haven't needed to use the "turbo mode" as the assistance given on "normal mode" is just fine – even eco mode is fine on the flat. It is a fairly heavy machine at close to 25kgs but we haven't had to carry it yet. The battery is proving extremely good. Given that we reckon it is about 5 years old so far it is holding its charge well. The control unit displays 5 LED's to show full to empty, we can travel 16 miles before one LED goes out so on that basis I reckon we should get at least 30 miles between charges. The panniers are proving very useful for holding wet weather gear (and a substantial padlock and chain) The stand is very solid and holds the bike well. Very pleased so far. Mudguards and lights are a bonus even though they are not linked into the main battery.

Pros:

1. Very good quality

2. We expected to have to replace the battery within the first 6 months however the battery is behaving very good.

3. Nexus gears are far superior as far as my wife is concerned (and me too)

4. Panniers a real bonus

5. Good saddle

6. Very easy to ride without power (a bonus as we don't know how good the battery is)
Cons:

1. We have changed the peddles as the Giant ones were prone to slipping on ordinary shoes

2. At almost 25kgs it is heavy to lift on and off the bike rack.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
"Then I discovered that German retailers are open to "negotiation" and discounts of up to 20% can be had."
===============================

Well, you should also know that UK retailers are also open to "negotiation", and the same level of discounts can be had, if you ask for it, excluding entry level bikes...

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
Well, you should also know that UK retailers are also open to "negotiation", and the same level of discounts can be had, if you ask for it, excluding entry level bikes...
Yes I've noticed recently there are good deals to be had at home but at the time I was looking to buy there was utter derision at the thought with the best offer was to throw in a bell or something. I find it very amusing that one sentence in a review should cause so many comments when the review is about the bike and MY PERSONAL findings and not a crusade to persuade everyone to buy from Germany..

I suspect the discounts are now being offered are to "clear out 2015 stock" in preparation for the new models coming out as the German dealers are offering up to 50% in some cases. By the way the bike is doing really well and I'm loving every minute of it.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
If everyone in the UK bought a bike from a foreign supplier, there soon would be no UK dealers to take your bargain buy to to have it serviced or repaired. People that buy from outside the UK are doing so on the backs of the customers that purchase locally and support their shops.

People that buy outside of the UK, and then expect local service, can not understand the cool reception they get when they take their bargain bike to get it worked on (see reason for this above). And yes, you can expect to be treated differently than a customer that bought their bike from said shop.

Reminds me of a story about cheap oats.....One day the owner of a horse went into town to buy some oats to feed his horse. He went into the feed store and immediately told the shop owner that the price of his oats were too high. The Shop owner then offered a modest discount but the horse owner declared that he could get them much cheaper elsewhere. So then the shop owner showed the the horse owner bags that were very inexpensive indeed. Delighted the horse owner purchased one and went home.

When the horse owner opened the bag he discovered that his bargain bag of "oats" had already gone through a horse. Incensed he returned to the shop demanding his money back to which the shop owner replied that once the bag was open there were no returns. The shop owner also added "What do you expect for oats so cheap?".

Reactions: hopbackguy

Vennwood

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2015
I must be getting old as I always thought that the best way to build up a business was to offer good service through a friendly and helpful manner. Certainly the comments from dealers or friends of dealers on this site have not endeared me to or persuaded me to buy from any of them. That said thankfully there are hundreds of dealers here in the UK that offer a great service and very helpful even when the bike hasn't been purchased from them.

Oats - I'm lost here but I guess you never buy items from a supermarket

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
That said thankfully there are hundreds of dealers here in the UK that offer a great service and very helpful even when the bike hasn't been purchased from them.
I can understand that the recent rise in GBP/EUR rate had influenced your decision.

Would you reflect your experience with various UK suppliers and give them your feedback here?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I always thought that the best way to build up a business was to offer good service through a friendly and helpful manner.
Yes Vennwood, although that should be a given, it isn't always the case and I certainly empathise with your point about distance when things go wrong and the bike needs to be taken back. Equally, I understand that that situation after buying from another country can prove bothersome.

Price though is a major factor for most people and I'm afraid the German public enjoys much lower retail prices for their EAPCs than we do. That's simply about margins, market size and economies of scale. Having said that, there are seasonal price variations which are reflected better there than here in the UK.

British-based dealers do not enjoy the kind of margins available to the major players in the German market but one or two have grown their business considerably over recent years and certainly, if I may use 50Cycles as an example, they sell mainly, though not exclusively, Kalkhoff bikes and from time to time, discount them considerably.

That company provides first class warranty provisions and there are now several branches around the country offering their range of EAPCs at very keen prices at this present time. I am the fortunate beneficiary of one of those Kalkhoff models, purchased in their January sale of 2014 and it was an absolute bargain, not only by price but on build quality and the fantastic performance of the hub motor.

When I bought that bike, I was in touch with ebay.de and I couldn't see the model any cheaper over the first couple of weeks of the year so I was delighted to do business with young Mr. Snaith in SW London.

Tom

Last edited:

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
You suspect wrong. I bought a german bike in the UK no so long ago, and it was not an end of line model, and not even in stock in the shop. I got a significant discount on it, because they are making very large margins on those (probably 40% to 50%), so there is some room for discounts, if you ask for it. I actually got it cheaper than buying it in continental Europe (given the Euro rate at that time), with the added benefit of a proper UK warranty.

D

Deleted member 4366

Many years ago, I wanted to buy a new Ford Fiesta. I went round all the Ford dealers looking for the best price. They all told me the same story that they could sell every one they could get, so they couldn't offer a discount on the list price, but each one seemed interested in what price I had been offered. After a lot of travelling and hard negotiation, I had achieved a discount of £100, so I gave up the idea and planned to buy one on a few months time when maybe prices would be better.

The next day, I visited my Dad, who had a brand new Sierra on his drive. He got a 13% discount from Perry's in London because he was in a motoring organisation of some sort. He got the price fom Perry's and took it to our local Ford dealer, who immediately matched the price.

We got a price from Perry's for a Fiesta and went straight down to our local dealer again, and he immediately matched the price, even though the previous day, he had said no discounts would be available.

The moral of the story is that if you want to haggle, you have to have something to haggle with. On some bikes, there's good discounts to be had if you play your cards right.